Mirrorless camera rucksack for bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Mirrorless camera rucksack for bikepacking

Post by Asposium »

Hi,

Looking at options to carry a mirrorless camera and maybe a second lens bikepacking.
Nothing too big, a Canon R5, 14-34 f4, and a 24-70 f/2.8

Would also wish to have a Camelbak bladder in the rucksack

And space for phone, wallet, money, passport / tickets, etc

Anyone use a camera bag for bikepacking?
If so, what you using?

Other option is to stick with the current solution of wrap the camera, and spare lens in sports towels and store in dry bags within my Camelbak rucksack.
AndreR

Re: Mirrorless camera rucksack for bikepacking

Post by AndreR »

Not got a nirrorless camers and don't take my DSLR bikepacking but do hike to remoteish places with a camera backpack. and lenses etc. The go to brand for many is Lowepro. Their range is huge with offerings ranging from small urban packs all the way to expedition style packs in many different sizes.

https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/camera-ba ... backpacks/
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Bikepacking.com did a feature on the subject recently, should give you some insight, I use the Fuji system, I need to pick up one of the two pancake lens models, the camera will sit in a stem cell with ease.

https://bikepacking.com/plan/bikepacking-with-a-camera/
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Asposium wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 pm Other option is to stick with the current solution of wrap the camera, and spare lens in sports towels and store in dry bags within my Camelbak rucksack.
Sounds like the way to go :-bd
Sometimes a visit to the cellar or asking the better half/roommate for theirs can do the trick too...

I rarely take my mirroless camera (Olympus OM-D EM5) on bikepacking trips, but if I do it's mostly in a hip bag.
Large hip bag for when I take 2 lenses along:
https://eu.patagonia.com/ch/de/product/ ... id=luggage
The spare lens tends to be wrapped in a buff, hat or other small garments I like to have handy. This prevents the lens being knocked against the camera.

Smaller hip bag for when I just take camera + lens:
https://euro.montbell.com/products/disp ... id=1133198

I don't use a rucksack on such occasions, since I only take this camera along on trips where I can carry all the gear on the bike.

On other trips, where the terrain gets tech and steep with little time sitting in the saddle (too steep/rough to ride uphill and too steep/rough to ride seated downhill), I'll tie a small tarp or bivybag to the handlebar and have some light gear in the framebag, rest in 25 L rucksack with hardly any room left for a mirrorless camera. On such occasions I mostly use my 6 y old mobile and rarely a good compact (Lumix LX100).

For the bum bags I simply brought my camera to a shop and tried a few options. Quite happy with the choice.

Before I got my hands on the hip bags, I used my girlfriend's Camelbak rucksack, which must have about 5 L capacity.
JackT

Post by JackT »

Keeping the camera on your body is good as it reduces risk from vibrations to all the small motors and intricate bits of today's cameras. If you put it on the bike then lots of padding, or a degree of suspension will help.

It's very good to have the camera easily accessible. You're much more likely to use it, which is the whole point of carrying a camera. And you're less likely to miss a fleeting shot that requires quick reactions. Hip bags and shoulder slings (Lowe Pro do one) offer reasonably easy access. Comfort is a matter of personal taste, and how much you stuff in the bag.

Another - and quicker access - option is the Peak Designs Capture Clip which allows you to securely mount a camera on one of the chest straps of your existing backpack. That may be a good way to go, as long as you have enough space elsewhere in your luggage that you can stow the camera if it starts raining, or you don't want to be walking around with a camera clipped to your chest.
capture012_38100673656_o_1024x1024.jpg
capture012_38100673656_o_1024x1024.jpg (194.5 KiB) Viewed 933 times
I carry my camera Olympus OMD-EM1ii with a fairly chunky zoom over one shoulder. If I'm riding some very rough terrain I may put it in a bag, wrapped in my down jacket, for safety. While it's very quick access, it does tend to give me a bit of a sore back eventually but I just see that as a hazard of my work. I take a lot of photos. Some people add a second elasticated strap around their stomach, to stop the camera sliding off their back. I've not tried that. But I sense that just slinging the camera over your back is not going to be ideal for you if you want the Camelbak bladder and all the rest.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have a Peak Designs Capture Clip like Jack's and it's absolutely brilliant. The only downside is it relies on you carrying a rucksack to strap it too, which I try and avoid - though I'm sure you could buy/make some sort of strapping system purely to attach it to if you wanted. I've tried it on the strap of a bum bag and it just about works, but it's not ideal, particularly if you have a larger camera.

Richpips posted some details a while ago of a simple three-point strap system he made. I ordered some of the parts to make one the other day, so I need to dig it out. I used to do something similar with a third strap with a side release buckle that secured the camera to my belt and stopped it swinging around. Rode down the North Island of New Zealand with my old SLR and that system.

Keeping the camera on your body is the way to go for me. Peak Designs also make a "rain shell" which is great for keeping rain (obviously) and other crap off, while keeping it accessible.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

There is an evoc camera specific hip pack for sale in classifieds
JackT

Post by JackT »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:58 am I have a Peak Designs Capture Clip like Jack's and it's absolutely brilliant.
Just for clarity - I don't have a Capture Clip as I don't like wearing a backpack while riding. I am very tempted by one for when out walking with a backpack. I am a Luddite and just sling it over my back but am interested in giving the DIY three-point system mentioned a go, thanks for the heads up. I remember Grant Petersen at Rivendell singing the praises of something similar.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I needed to look back at how Rich had done it to copy him, so here's the post I was talking about: viewtopic.php?p=254475#p254475

I've got some of the tri-glides with a side loop on the way and should be able to scrounge the rest from my box of bits. I could only buy a pack of 5 so if you fancy giving it a go as well I'll pop a couple in the post to you.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I got the Lowepro photo sport AWii recently, I chose the 300 version as I have an SLR and a long lens but the 200 would be sufficient for a mirror less camera.

It has a separate padded section for storing camera gear which is easily accessed by slipping one arm out of the straps - this is really useful on the bike as it means you don’t have to take the pack off to get access to the camera

https://gearjunkie.com/packs/camera-car ... -aw-review
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I used to use a 3-point sling, all that resulted was my camera being covered in mud and rain. Also when you crash, which happens, the camera and lens has a greater chance of getting trashed. I found it was not a viable option for working with the camera and riding at the same time. Ride bike, stop, swing bag, take out camera, shoot, put away. It's not that time consuming.

Other option is a front slung bag like the ones Porcelain Rocket used to do - I have one, great for touring.