Spcycle 29r forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Spcycle 29r forks

Post by jay91 »

Has anyone bought any spcycle forks off eBay ??
Cheap tat?
Doubt there 600grams :shock:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29er-Boost-F ... 635-2958-0

Or just go with exotic forks
Trying to ride bikes.
ScotRoutes

Re: Spcycle 29r forks

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not exactly those, but I bought some carbon forks off eBay for my B+ bike. They've been just fine. Weight was (measured) 645g before cutting, but that didn't include the axle.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Thanks scotroutes I may give them a try.
Trying to ride bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'd pass. Can't see anything linking the seller to any known manufacturer. The most safety critical part of a bike, the material with the most safety critical manufacturing needs... not a part I'd buy blind.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jameso wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:47 am I'd pass. Can't see anything linking the seller to any known manufacturer. The most safety critical part of a bike, the material with the most safety critical manufacturing needs... not a part I'd buy blind.
Out of interest are there many/any reports of catastrophic failure with no-name carbon parts circulating on the web?

I completely agree with your sentiment James and acknowledge your increased understanding of the design/manufacturing/procurement process.

I do wonder though if the risk of loosing a front wheel is tiny or not. Is the bottom line that there only needs to be one failure if it happens to you?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

For me knowing how many frames Ribble and Merlin reject ( mates at both of these ) i worry about QC from China.
How would you tell with some carbon forks ? Would not chance it personally though the price saving makes it tempting .
jay91

Post by jay91 »

jameso wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:47 am I'd pass. Can't see anything linking the seller to any known manufacturer. The most safety critical part of a bike, the material with the most safety critical manufacturing needs... not a part I'd buy blind.
I've yet to push the button on these.
They do seem very cheap even compared to exotics which are more than double the price (270ish) . Would you trust the exotic forks?
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:25 pm For me knowing how many frames Ribble and Merlin reject ( mates at both of these ) i worry about QC from China.
How would you tell with some carbon forks ? Would not chance it personally though the price saving makes it tempting .
I've looked more on eBay there's lots of sellers using the same pictures just different brand name and price
Trying to ride bikes.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes I realise that but if big (ish)players have QC issues with suppliers what do you think happens with a small random eBay*/ online store ?.
I doubt it's any better and none of us can tell by looking at carbon forks how strong or well made they are .
Personally I would still go with a known brand by a known company as the QC and building will be less risky.
YMMV and I did give it some thought before going no not worth the risk. ( It is a big saving but it comes with a risk)
Nukeproof are £200 for gravel and genisis £300 for MTB

* They must spend hundred of thousands per year with a supplier so should have some clout.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Out of interest are there many/any reports of catastrophic failure with no-name carbon parts circulating on the web?

I completely agree with your sentiment James and acknowledge your increased understanding of the design/manufacturing/procurement process.

I do wonder though if the risk of loosing a front wheel is tiny or not. Is the bottom line that there only needs to be one failure if it happens to you?
A few but not many (any?) that are clear evidence. Evidence tends to be destroyed in the failure. I've no real composites experience, just seen enough to be wary. Low percentage of failures but potentially lethal outcomes and it puts me off. The weight or cost savings aren't worth the risk.
Buy from brands who source from proven suppliers, have a good rep and have ways to reach you with recall notices if needed. I can't say eBay forks are poor quality, it's just that you don't know if they are good quality.
jameso

Post by jameso »

jay91 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:48 pm
I've yet to push the button on these.
They do seem very cheap even compared to exotics which are more than double the price (270ish) . Would you trust the exotic forks?
I don't know anything about them tbh, plenty of riders use them though so you have a certain sample size to base a confidence decision on. That alone is not enough for me but I'm on the far end of the wary/distrust scale on this one.
Added cost may be added layers of margin in distribution but may also come with added QC and a way of hearing about any recalls etc.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:01 pm Yes I realise that but if big (ish)players have QC issues with suppliers what do you think happens with a small random eBay*/ online store ?.
I doubt it's any better and none of us can tell by looking at carbon forks how strong or well made they are .
Personally I would still go with a known brand by a known company as the QC and building will be less risky.
YMMV and I did give it some thought before going no not worth the risk. ( It is a big saving but it comes with a risk)
Nukeproof are £200 for gravel and genisis £300 for MTB

* They must spend hundred of thousands per year with a supplier so should have some clout.
While I do agree, many big brands have recalled carbon forks in recent years, some due to daft design and some due to QC problems.
I suppose the brand gives you accountability and traceability, to know if you're riding a fork from a batch with any concerns. Avoiding those concerns fully is too expensive for most of the bike market. Aerospace production can do it. But on a cheap fork you won't be getting the QC the part needs so it's a gamble.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Interestingly, when I did a bit of internet trawling on this there is way more references to known brand fork failures - aluminium as well as carbon. Trek came up more than others but maybe that’s more due to volume of sales rather than being particularly shoddy. Most appeared to be, at least in part, age/fatigue related.
Two deaths of road bike riders whose front ends fell off at speed - both Aussies.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The idea that a brand name = quality product falls down as soon as you consider On One / Planet X :lol:

Salsa forks.

Surly Pugsley seatstays.

Etc. Etc. Etc.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Nice cherry picking Scots bit I assume we all agree , in general , brands* will be less risky than an eBay shop.

* And with a brand you know it's rep so can afford to avoid as you know it has a rep for cheap but poor QC and questionable customer service. None of us need to ask about them but an eBay shop is just rolling a dice IMHO . I am not saying they will fail just that there are way more risks than buying a whiskey fork and you can forget getting a recall notice that big brands will do.