Anyone ridden Badger Divide, Glasgow parking?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Anyone ridden Badger Divide, Glasgow parking?

Post by Scud »

Now that things seem to starting up and finally we can start to travel in future, i've been invited to join others on a Badger Divide ride, going to be a shock to system after a year being stuck in Norfolk!

Just wondered if anyone had any tips, things we must see, what midges will be like etc?

Best to take a bike with "proper" tyres (thinking Singular Gryphon with 2.2 tyres) over gravel bike and 45c?

Any one got a good place to leave car for 4-5 days in Glasgow?
thenorthwind

Re: Anyone ridden Badger Divide, Glasgow parking?

Post by thenorthwind »

I rode it last year on my gravel bike on 40mm Nanos, mainly because I was riding it over two days with mates who were similarly biked. I found it fine and enjoyed the descents, but my mate on Gravel Kings was struggling on some of the looser descents. If I was doing it at a more relaxed pace, or even at race pace on my own frankly, I'd probably take a mountain bike. The Gryphon would be a pretty ideal tool for the job IME.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks Northwind... any tips or bits really not to miss or worth leaving track for?

Did you ride North to South?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yes, north to south. It was the Scotduro event - pretty certain this follows the Badger Divide route exactly.

We followed the route faithfully and not that familiar with the areas it goes through, so can't recommend any diversions. It was great route though, I really enjoyed it. The only bit I found a drag was after the Corrieyairack going up Glen Spean and over to Loch Ossian - but it could have just been a bit of sub standard weather, tired legs, and a saddle sore getting to me. You would be completely changing the character of the route going a different way though. After Killin it's a bit less interesting - more old railway line type stuff, but pleasant enough and you can bomb along if it's quiet.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Cheers Northwind.. planning on doing it over 4 days, so in no rush
robbie

Post by robbie »

I'd recomend the toasties at Corrour train station :-bd
Camping on west side Loch Laggan if it's bed time as your passing (slight deviation from the route)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

robbie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:36 pm I'd recomend the toasties at Corrour train station :-bd
Venison Lorne Sausage.

I've tried to buy it for cooking at home but the estate won't play ball. :sad:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Now I like the sound of the venison...