Re-usable zip ties

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Re-usable zip ties

Post by ericrobo »

There was thread on here a bit back... I bought a pack of these from B&Q - £4 to £5 quid I think, and I've got it to work:
http://www.velcro.com/Products/Ties-and ... -Ties.aspx

It's holding a Dakota 20 GPS. Carefully cut the velcro tie down the middle so it fits through where ordinarily a plastic zip tie would go. The trick is to hold the GPS plastic holder in place on the stem, very firmly with one hand, then (having threaded the two pieces of cut velcro through each of the two holes), with the other hand pull the velcro very hard so it's very tight on the stem, then velcro lock the pieces together. I did a 9 hrs ride yesterday and it worked fine.

On another note: Garmin Dakota 20 - Surprised to learn (if I'm right) that you cannot display ASCENT - at least I've not found it yet... Any advice ? I can't understand why it isn't there. I remember that on my previous ride it did show ascent on Garmin Connect when I had uploaded it.

Yesterday I mistakenly didn't turn tracking on - thinking I'm not ready yet, I have to reset and clear everything, then forgot So you have to turn tracking on otherwise you don't have a route to save at the end...http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... e=post&f=7# (this last gobbledy gook is my attempt to put a growling smily in, how do you do that ?
ScotRoutes

Re: Re-usable zip ties

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tracking is always on with the Dakota (at least as long as you have a GPS signal). However, it'll just append to the previous track if you haven't done a "Clear Track Log". When saving the track log, you can choose to "Save Segment" which normally splits it by day.

Ascent is available in the Elevation Plot view
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hi Scotroutes... I got a prompt yesterday something like "do you want to turn track recording off" - so I did, not knowing the result...
in the manual:
Track Log - turn track recording on or off

My default is set to - Track log: Record, Show on map

but anyway I got something wrong there... better luck next time...

Seeing that you are a seasoned Dakota user, am I right in thinking that it does not show ASCENT ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah - you mean in Settings. I guess there might be a reason you'd switch off track recording but mine is always switched on, so it's just a case of clearing the track before each ride and saving it at the end.

As above - Ascent is available in the Elevation Plot view.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Thanks Scotroutes - good to know I can see the ascent, cheers.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Don't have a Dakota, but on the Etrex 30, ascent is available as an option on the Trip screen if you edit the fields - its listed as "ascent - total"