Etrex users please answer this?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Etrex users please answer this?

Post by Mike »

So iv an old 62 s that I thought id upgrade. Eventually i decided on the size of the etrex 32x as its light and compact. Now heres me thinking it would be better than my old 62??
Is it me or my mapping or the hardware inside garmin but the maps are so slow to refresh when u pan or zoom. The 62 s is loads quicker so that says to me its not my maps?

Anyone else have the newer etrex range and do you notice them to be slow thanks
Lazarus

Re: Etrex users please answer this?

Post by Lazarus »

i had an etrex 20 and now a 30 and they dont load that fast and lag as you zoom
Not sure that helps much
is it a new map and you have gone from 1:50 - 1:25?
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Mine lags when scrolling up/down on the map and takes a while to load the new map section.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Can't comment on the specifics, but your old device was at the top end of their range and the etrex is at the bottom end of their range isn't it? Would have thought an Oregon/Dakota would be a bit quicker
FLV

Post by FLV »

Same as Mark says. I have an eTrex30x and if using OS maps (my map SD card is quite old) it lags rather unpleasantly.

I also have an Edge explore which is the same if using OS maps (which I was able to copy from the SD card onto it), its much faster if I use the preloaded maps it came with, which are fine for 'breadcrumb' style following.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I also have an Oregon (I think) somewhere which I can check and see how that is? Not used it for an age (Its my motorcycle sat nav) as the battery life is pish.
Mike

Post by Mike »

ah, its going back for a refund and im going to just keep the 62s now. I really like the wahoo roam but their mapping is dreadful i like detail :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My eTrex lags when I zoom or pan to look at the maps but... I only do that if I'm trying to work out where to go and I'm off my planned route.

When I'm following a set course it pans on it's own fine and I don't zoom much, and it's fine with that.

If you're going to use it to follow a preset route and not deviate it's ideal, if you want to change your route as you go the lag would be annoying but I think the screen is too small for that anyway.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I recently got the 1030, previous to that I had the touring and the 810..
Hated them both due to very poor screens, lagging interface and pain in the arse computer only connectivity. For a number of years I’ve relied on my iPhone 8 Plus which although power hungry works very well.
Not sure why a gave them another chance, I did need a secondary method of navigating in remote areas and managed to pick one up cheap.

So far it’s been excellent, it logs my rides and just automatically uploads them to Strava etc via inbuilt WiFi , the screen is very responsive and big and clear.
Battery life is also very good

I’ve got talkytoaster maps, I did buy the garmin OS 1:25k card but due to the way it zooms the TT maps are easier to read and you can use the details.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I totally agree with Sean, it is great for following a set route and is less prone to freezing than my old edge 800. If I want to adapt a route I either use a back up paper map or the memory map app on my phone as this is much better for looking at a larger area.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what they said - the screen is too small for me to plan a route on and if lost back up is phone or actual paper maps.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Quite a few hardly used ones on ebay as well as dakotas....

One thing I found re zooming and panning - make sure your map card is a high speed one. My first card wasn't and it used to freeze for 20s or so. I got a new fast card and copied the maps onto it and it now zooms and pans pretty much instantaneously
Mart

Post by Mart »

Mike wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:31 pm I really like the wahoo roam but their mapping is dreadful i like detail :wink:
That’s what put me off the roam also
I’ve just replaced with the new Satmap
- Large screen
- Zooms much faster than older satmap
- Reuse my existing OS 1:50k map

No actual experience of using it yet - too early to give any more detailed feedback
2924 miles per Gallon