Sleeping bag recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mounty

Sleeping bag recommendations

Post by Mounty »

I am looking for recommendations for a new sleeping bag. I am about 5ft 10ins, not big built or anything.

Down filling and temps down to around -5. Budget of around £200(ish). It will be used for both bikepacking and wild camping etc.

So far I have looking at the Alpkit SkyeHigh 500 and 700. Also the Mountain Equipment Helium 400.

Any others worth looking at, like everything in life, there is too much choice! ;-)

Suggestions welcome, thanks. :-)
middleagedmadness

Re: Sleeping bag recommendations

Post by middleagedmadness »

Rock and run still have mh phantom flame for £190 only used mine once and that was on winter event ,let's say it's very toasty ,think comfort is -4 limit -9 so may be a bit overkill
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Those MHW bags are / were a proper bargain.

Comfort of -4, comfort limit of -9.

https://rockrun.com/collections/mountai ... ame-15f-9c
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you sleep cold then look at the comfort rating, if you sleep warm look at the limit rating.

I'd look at the Alpkit Pipedream 400 in preference to the two you mention. Goose down is generally warmer weight for weight than duck down - the Skyehigh 500 is 100g heavier than the PD400 and the pack size is quite a bit bigger despite not being given as warm a rating.

If you can stretch your budget then the Criterion Quantum 350 https://backcountry.scot/product/criter ... antum-350/ is -6C "comfort" rated and weighs even less at 695g but it costs £275. The 200 version is 0C comfort rated and 530g so limit rating should be around -3/4C. That's £230. Criterion are the UK name for Cumulus sleeping bags from Poland, a lot on here use Cumulus quilts and I'd imagine the quality is the same.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry