In defence of .... Garmin!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

In defence of .... Garmin!

Post by padonbike »

While you may argue that a very sporadically used, 1.5 year old Etrex 20x shouldn't suffer a catastrophic failure (repeatedly powering off after 20 seconds, despite all the usual precautions of changing batteries etc.), what happened subsequently in terms of Garmin UK's customer service has certainly been impressive.
I contacted them last Friday and they suggested running the device through their Garmin Express software, which they gave me a link to.
This made absolutely no difference, in fact the software interface didn't really recognise the device's storage capabilities.
When I rang them on Monday they gave me the details for a return, explaining it would take 10-14 days and that they would be supplying me with a reconditioned model.
I posted the device Monday, they notified me that they had received it Tuesday. Wednesday they posted it out and today I collected what looks like a brand new boxed model, with no obvious signs of being reconditioned. Oh, and it works! :grin:
You may wonder why I didn't contact the retailer? Well I did first before contacting Garmin. I'm normally fan of Decathlon, but their behaviour was dubious at best and downright disgusting at worst. They had no problems in recognising that the device had a defect and they suggested I returned it for verification and then refund. They said that they could only refund, not replace. "But you've got it right there on your website, in stock", I argued.
I paid £140 for the unit 18 months ago and they were now selling it for £180 so would not replace directly as it would adversely affect their corporate greed. I checked that they actually expected me to spend £40 more for the same unit, despite the defect and they confirmed this. Merci beaucoup!
So well done Garmin, not so well done Decathlon.
techno

Re: In defence of .... Garmin!

Post by techno »

I'm currently going through a similar process with my 2nd hand etrex 30. So this is making me feel better about the potential outcome of the process than I had been, thanks.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I had a Garmin Montana 610 fail, my own fault, got water in it.
Paid £106 for “repair” and got appears to be a brand new device.

However,
My returned 610 had an electronic map on
Garmin sorted the transfer of said map
Map didn’t show
Phoned them
Informed me said map was now obsolete and couldn’t be offer (didn’t know map could go obsolete)
Offered me the entire UK at no extra cost
Very nice of them

On the flip side
When I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 Sapphire it had a faulty pixel
Returned to supplier who returned to Garmin for advice
Garmin apparently said was acceptable and wouldn’t authorise a replacement
Supplier disagreed and replaced for me
Didn’t need to use consumer law and reject said watch.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

For all the glitches and foibles of the units at times I've found their customer service to be very good.
Replaced a very old and out of warranty Edge 800 head unit with a reconditioned one without hardly batting an eyelid.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I too have sent Garmin Dakota's back and been pleased with service. One of them was because I dropped the unit and replaced foc because it was still within guarantee.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Thinking about it .....we do put out Garmin devices through some abuse, and for the most part they just work.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Last time mine broke [ my fault] it was cheaper to get second hand and the guarantee with the refurb unit is only 30 days anyway so not worth much money IMHO
Think it was about £85-90 for an etrex 20 inc postage

I have broken 4 - two were my fault and 2 literally stopped working on a ride for no obvious reason. Personally if there was an acceptable alternative i would get it as that is not great odds [ guess that is over 10 years but i doubt any got used more than 20 times in a year [ granted it was often for extended periods of time but i dont normally ride with it as i know where i am going.