Quilts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alec

Quilts

Post by Alec »

Sorry I know this topic comes up alot but im looking for some specific feedback on the Rab neutrino quilt. How does it compare to the cumulus offerings and how long is it as im 186cm and I know for the cumulus id have to go custom for length but im not sure on the length of the rab.

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Quilts

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How does it compare to the cumulus offerings
Similar construction, ie baffled not stitch-through and similar amounts and quality of down (200g / 800fp).
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alec

Post by Alec »

I had seen the offer, thats why i was tempted but couldn't find much information online about it as the extra 15% off ends tomorrow.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sounds very similar to a Cumulus 150. With a decent mat, I find it good for 6 months of the year.

Can't help with the length thing though, sorry.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Thats fine, good to know that it should be useable for most of the summer, i have a sleeping bag to cover cooler weather. It was looking for something to cover warmer weather that i was after.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Whilst on the subject, I have no experience of quilts but like the idea of making my kit lighter, I assume a mat such as a Xtherm or similar would be needed for underneath and the quilt would literally just cover up like blanket?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Jurassic pusher wrote:Whilst on the subject, I have no experience of quilts but like the idea of making my kit lighter, I assume a mat such as a Xtherm or similar would be needed for underneath and the quilt would literally just cover up like blanket?
Pretty much it. The basic concept is that with a sleeping bag you are compressing the insulation beneath you so it's not actually doing anything but in removing it you need something that doesn't lose its insulating properties such as an inflatable mat.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume a mat such as a Xtherm or similar would be needed for underneath and the quilt would literally just cover up like blanket?
Pretty much. Even a full sleeping bag really requires the use of a mat for insulation, quilt's the same just a bit more so.

Ooooh beaten by Bob.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Thanks, I think I`ll check out the previously mentioned quilt that`s on offer.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Dont forget to add SALE15 in the basket for the extra off.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Quilt wise - are there any shops (online) that stock cumulus quilts in an XL fashion (extra baffle). Or is standard procedure to get in touch with cumulus?
Did try a couple of times previously but never got a response
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Jamesh wrote:Quilt wise - are there any shops (online) that stock cumulus quilts in an XL fashion (extra baffle). Or is standard procedure to get in touch with cumulus?
Did try a couple of times previously but never got a response
As far as I'm aware you need to contact Cumulus directly for custom options.
Alec

Post by Alec »

The rab quilt arrived today, first impressions is its nice a light. Its seems long enough when lying on the floor to easily cover up to my shoulders and wrap easily round me. (I'm 186cm tall and a xl top for reference).
There is no footbox like on the cumulus ones just small webbing points to run a shock cord through.

I wont get to try it out for a bit, but will try and update once I have
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ridiculous question time. Would a quilt such as the fab one, be capable of boosting a 2-3 season bag, up to 3-4 season spec ?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ootini wrote:Ridiculous question time. Would a quilt such as the fab one, be capable of boosting a 2-3 season bag, up to 3-4 season spec ?
Quite possibly. I've a PHD Minim 200 which is rated to 5C. With the Cumulus 150 (also rated to 5C) as a wrapper I'm fine down to -5/-6C which is good enough for most UK conditions.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:
ootini wrote:Ridiculous question time. Would a quilt such as the fab one, be capable of boosting a 2-3 season bag, up to 3-4 season spec ?
Quite possibly. I've a PHD Minim 200 which is rated to 5C. With the Cumulus 150 (also rated to 5C) as a wrapper I'm fine down to -5/-6C which is good enough for most UK conditions.
And I do similar with an enlightened quilt and either a minim or a haglofs synthetic. I’m a cold sleeper so would use that warmer kit in similar conditions as bob.