Way off topic travel luggage help?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Way off topic travel luggage help?

Post by FLV »

I work away from home, and take a bike and kit with me. Currently I pack my work clothes and casual clothes in one bag. Cycling kit in another bag. Laptop etc in yet another. Basically its a pain in the arse packing multiple bags every week. Is there a bag available there that holds kit and clean clothes in the same bag so I can move clean and smelly gear around together without one making the other stink?

I've seen the dakine split roller, great but way too big. a 40L one would be great but I cant find anything on the net so far.

Sorry to so far off bikepacking, but does anyone have something similar?
voodoo_simon

Re: Way off topic travel luggage help?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Those bags that triathletes use?

Something like this
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triathlon-t ... 95378.html

No experience of them
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Get a massive holdall and some packing cubes. Job done
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I have been living out of bags for my entire 27 year working life, travelling around the world.

I have 2 solutions:

a. If you require 2 bags (as in bag that can be independent of each other), then 1x30lt and 1x60 ltr tarpaulin material duffel bags (copies of the famous The North Face Duffel bag are plentiful and cheap) work as one "nests" inside the other. Obviously, I am using 30lt and 60lt as an example as they come in all sorts of sizes. You have the benefit of 2-in-1 bags and can pack accordingly. If you find you suddenly need more space, then remove one from the other and instant increase in capacity, at about 1.5kg extra weight over a one-bag-with-divider. This also keeps the work-bike kit in their own domains.

or

b. One big duffel bag with a dry bag inside (obviously to suit the size of your requirements). This is what I do. I have a 90lt TNF duffel bag with a a few 30lt dry bag within it (of different colours), so fully organised, separated luggage, but only one check in bag and the lightest of options. for weekend trips I use a smaller 30ltr bag but same principle with the dry bags.

If you simply MUST have a divider bag like the dakine one, then I suggest either get one, or use cardboard boxes as dividers inside a suitably sized bag. You may laugh but its very practical, eoc-friendly and free...

So, you don't need a divider-bag as there often cheaper, lighter and more practical solutions available.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Ditto the reply above.

I do about eight 10 day trips away (flights) a year and for the last nine years I've settled on a 90 litre North Face Duffel with a couple of large drybags inside for bike kit, then I have a small satchel for my laptop and electronics that fits inside whilst walking around but becomes my carry on bag on the plane.

I also have a load of cloth liner bags that my seamstress partner made out of old clothes; useful for lining previously-used bike kit drybags when your bike kit is still 'fresh'. And there's always carrier bags / bin liners on a work site if you need to double wrap wet kit.

I admit to not investigating suitcase options as I need a soft bag for boat / helicopter journeys.

It sounds like you're driving with bags / bike to work so bag size / weight limitations not so much of an issue?
Scud

Post by Scud »

I do similar to the above, i have a large holdall like the TNF one but it has rucksack straps on too, then i have an Exped dry bag for dirty gear, laptop goes in a padded sleeve and items like t-shirts and shirts that are folded neatly i put in a few pillowcases to help them stay stacked and neat. Not killed the holdall and it's 18 years old.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm also in the "big holdall" camp. Tend to use 90 or 60 litre. TBH even when lightly loaded a 90, so long as it has compression straps to cinch it down, is fine. A much bigger bag is also easier to "live" out of (IME) if you're not unpacking into cupboards and draws.

I don't have the same filthy kit issues, mine is just funky work / site clothes. The two / three big roll top dry bags approach seems a winner in that respect. IMO not much will stop the honk, whatever you use.

I have an old Mountain Equipment duffle c.100 litres that is going strong. Never got a TNF as the prices always put me off. I would avoid the Overboard duffles. Mine, whilst it has had quite a bit of use, is falling to bits and needs replacing. The heavy duty plastic base is cracking and peeling off, one of the compression straps has pulled off etc. Shame as I'd thought it'd be much more durable.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hey Dave,

I'm constantly bag packing as I swap between two houses a lot. I do similar to you (one bag bike clothes, one bag casual and work etc.).

I don't think a bag with a split opening will make it much less faffy - other than carrying one less bag to the car etc. but then it's less flexible once in the car. I do sometimes pack the smaller duffel bag I use for bike kit into my large North Face duffel bag, so it's easier to carry, but that's it.

With regards kit smelling etc. I use a mesh drawstring bag from alpkit, and normally sling that on top of one of the bags (tied down with whatever strap).

Basically, it will remain a PITA whatever you do! :mrgreen:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Personally I prefer packing cubes to drybags as it's a faff getting kit into and out of a drybag

But the message is very consistent, one big bag with smaller bags inside for kit organisation

I do have a bag problem, I have many. I have 5 TNF duffels, an osprey transporter, plus some others. Find them really handy, don't use suitcases now, only holdalls
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote: packing cubes
Good shout - I'm getting some. Image
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Patagonia duffels are also worth a shout & they usually include detachable shoulder straps :ugeek:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

My mate has just been given one of these:

https://www.endurasport.com/product/roller-kit-bag/
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks for all the feedback, didnt realize there'd be so many of us doing similar routines.
I've gone simple, I already have a massive mountain equipment duffle so I've plumped for a small one for work clothes to add to it. Not quite the solution I was looking for, but the most cost effective.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Some Duffel Deals at Rock & Run atm-

https://rockrun.com/collections/duffel- ... 343b863485
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!