Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Re: Who's bailed?

Post by summittoppler »

JohnClimber wrote:
summittoppler wrote:
Does that mean you've still not bagged 8/8 as yet? :shock:

It sure does John, I just wasn't in the right zone for it despite the cracking views i had.
Fingers crossed for Friday night..... :oops:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

That Brecon Beacons tale reminded me of this little adventure in the Lakes with my daughter a few years back. An allocated pitch at the Langdale campsite, an unexpected overnight storm and ...

https://youtu.be/rmZ23TnF3rc

We didn’t bail, though. In fact, the tent stayed watertight and we slept right through, to be woken to a strange floating sensation.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Wow, that'll test your groundsheet!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The only time I’ve bailed an overnighter my wife was rushed into hospital with a suspected heart attack, after some consideration I decided this was just cause and packed up using the light from my phone.

During my jogle I bailed, first time was at the crask inn, I was offered the summer house along with a life saving bowl of stew, far better than a tent in the pissing rain.
I also bailed at Inverness, I’d been riding all day in biblical rain ( Scotland’s wettest ever summer!) all my electronics had failed leading to a journey down the A9 (which is basically a two lane motorway with no verge)
in bugger all visibility expecting to run down by a lorry.
Hotel, steak and a bottle of wine via room service :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Bailed on the capital trail last year, I was doing it on my own a few weeks after the group start and the head wind was morale sappingly brutal, made it as far as Pebbles and decided it just wasn't fun so I headed to the pub and phoned Gill to come and rescue me. As above if I'm not enjoying myself then I just won't bother!
techno

Post by techno »

My last 2 bivi trips have ended up with me bailing out.
The first I decided I wanted my bed after a long day in blistering heat so I carried on through rather than stop out, 40 miles of road riding in the dark was more appealing than a sweaty sleeping bag for sure. Defo the right decision.
The second was an unavoidable technical scratch due to a snapped axle.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Storm Hector did it for me this year on the Highland Trail
We were battered all the way through Fisherfield, and the next day was worse. we cycled down the Torridon road into a 60mph head wind barely able to stand up. The thought of continuing the route up past the tea house and over to Strathcarron would have been suicidal so we bailed.
The next day was onlly 40mph winds and wall to wall rain so we bailed, with out tails firmly between our legs

I will return, plans currently being made to go again next year
2924 miles per Gallon