BB200 goes large.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: BB200 goes large.

Post by slarge »

Fantastic stuff Stu, was hoping there would be a 250 or 300 option. It's time for some strategy thinking! To bivvy or not to bivvy, that's the question......
gairym

Post by gairym »

slarge wrote:Fantastic stuff Stu, was hoping there would be a 250 or 300 option. It's time for some strategy thinking! To bivvy or not to bivvy, that's the question......
What???

Surely you jest? You must mean "To bivvy one night or two, that's the question"?

:-bd

Obviously I'm not the intended audience (though given the required speed/stamina/fitness I'd love to do it) but JEEEEES, an extra 100km of BB200 would bloody kill me!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

slarge wrote:Fantastic stuff Stu, was hoping there would be a 250 or 300 option. It's time for some strategy thinking! To bivvy or not to bivvy, that's the question......
That's a very simple question, if the cut-off is 30 hours - to bivvy or to finish!

The other consideration is driving the four hours home after 30 odd hours on the go... so a post-ride bivvy would certainly be required (in the van), and maybe taking leave on the Monday.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

A thought for the 200km edition

A minimum finish time, i.e. no sub-24hour finish. Might stop people treating as a race with extra luggage
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A minimum finish time, i.e. no sub-24hour finish. Might stop people treating as a race with extra luggage
I don't see it as any kind of problem. I like seeing people push themselves whether they finish in 18 hours or 30 ... it's good for the soul. :wink: The reason for an extended version is simply because there are some very fast / fit riders who I know will always want the bar raising. My only hope is that a 300 takes nothing away from those doing the 200 - it always being a tough challenge and hopefully will remain so.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I don't see it as any kind of problem. I like seeing people push themselves whether they finish in 18 hours or 30 ... it's good for the soul. :wink: The reason for an extended version is simply because there are some very fast / fit riders who I know will always want the bar raising. My only hope is that a 300 takes nothing away from those doing the 200 - it always being a tough challenge and hopefully will remain so.
Two laps of the 200km route?? :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I think the badges for completion within a certain timeframe does make it less likely people will bivi on the BB200. That and the fact it is likely to be cold / sodden / etc. I have every intention of having a long enjoyable bivi (maybe near a pub) in the sun (!) on the Lakeland Jenn ride, even though it is only 160km, because that's the nature of that event. Might even take some cooking kit, for the first time on a bike trip!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:I think the badges for completion within a certain timeframe does make it less likely people will bivi on the BB200. That and the fact it is likely to be cold / sodden / etc. I have every intention of having a long enjoyable bivi (maybe near a pub) in the sun (!) on the Lakeland Jenn ride, even though it is only 160km, because that's the nature of that event. Might even take some cooking kit, for the first time on a bike trip!
+1

A different ethos to the two events. The first JennRide I bivvied but I rode through last year. Will be bivvying again this year and there'll be a couple of pub stops :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very much so, there'll be many faces at the WRT you wouldn't expect to see at the BB200 ... and vice versa obviously.

I think it's also important to remember the BB200 place in all this stuff we do - Chew touched upon it but back in 2011 things were different, no one really knew what they / we / us were capable of. Two riders completed 2011 in under 24 hours. In my opinion they were / are fast, fit and capable riders but upon their return they looked like broken men but the following year, they were not only faster but also much fresher when they finished. Perceptions change with time and what once seemed mental is now fairly ordinary ... assuming you move in the right circles of course. :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

That for me is the beauty of the BB200 - it is a challenge to everyone, and it is never going to be easy, but everyone doing it is testing themselves to some degree. It can be a social ride, and solo bivvy ride, a fast ride or a slow ride, each person has their own goal. After 7 years the bar is being raised a bit for those who want it. And for those who don't there is still the "easy" option :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd I'm not going to analyze this, I'm in!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I think I'm up for this. Haven't done BB since 2014, and that was the worst one, right? :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Haven't done BB since 2014, and that was the worst one, right?
Oh yes :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Until the next one, right Stu? :)

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nothing is ever that bad that it couldn't be worse ... think we might have that as a sticker :wink:
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Nothing is ever that bad that it couldn't be worse ... think we might have that as a sticker :wink:
2014 BB200 100K longer :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I somehow scraped a black badge last year and my brain was quite happy with not entering this year.

I just saw Stu's facebook post.

I think I said "noooooo, you bastard" out loud.

Naturally I'm now thinking about entering the 300.

(I don't think I've actually ridden my mountain bike since last years BB200. :shock: Well at least it will give me focus/a target)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The problem for me is that I would have to take Monday off as there is no way I could drive home safely on Sunday after 300km.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, I think that's sensible.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I have a dilemma; continue my unbroken run of BB200’s (seven), or enter the BB300? :???:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ian wrote:I have a dilemma; continue my unbroken run of BB200’s (seven), or enter the BB300? :???:
I think you have to do the 300, otherwise you will not have done all of the BB kilometres.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I suppose that's a good point - I'll take it, before someone says both... :wink:
That being the case, I better get back on the bike a bit more. I managed to wriggle through last years BB200 with very little prep, but an extra 100 Welsh km's would quickly expose any inadequacies on the fitness front.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ian, last years was 220km so you'd 'only' have to manage an extra 80km :smile:

Perhaps the route will pass back by the start for 200km with an extra 100km loop for the 300 route, thus making the route planning easier for Stu? (only one route instead of 2 separate ones to plan) and also enabling you to pass by the start before 24 hrs and be back again in under 30 hrs to complete both :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Ian

Post by Ian »

220km, you say? 10% extra free :-bd Let's hope Stu isn't feeling so generous this year, or we'll get 330km :o
Not that I'm complaining - last years route was the best of the lot in my opinion - so I'd happily take that and another 80km+ like it on top.

Will there be badges, and if so, what colour?*

* these things are important
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Last years was the first I've done, are they not all that nice :wink:

Stu did point out at the time that the last 20km was downhill* so didn't count :lol:

*The sort of downhill that has climbs in it as I remember it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger