Pliers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Pliers

Post by ericrobo »

Hit some sort of a sharp rock yesterday, and needed to put a tube in the tyre...

But the plastic screw-on which holds the valve against the rim would turn but when it reached the end it wouldn’t come off, so there I was possibly having to walk home 6 miles cos I couldn’t get a tube in.

Fortunately another biker came along (who I knew !) and had a small pair of pliers, so that solved the problem.

I’m now trying to source some small lightweight pliers to carry, but not really found anything yet..

Any ideas ?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Pliers

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have a look for fishing pliers or model makers pliers Eric.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Leatherman make a range of small folding pliers. various options. I have one of the simple ones called the squirt I think
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Love the Skeletool for the pliers. This is a very good price for one too...

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Lea ... gLnDfD_BwE

Greetz

S.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ive got a tiny mini leatherman thing - it was a gift but its proving very usefull
2924 miles per Gallon
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Thanks everyone

I’ve just ordered a Leatherman Squirt PS4... about £44 + £3 odd postage, weighs 56grams

And just to mention yesterday’s tyre going down..
When I got home it was a tiny tiny hole, had to put the tyre in the bath to find it.
I thought the sealant would have stopped it but it didn’t, so I put a plug in from my Weldtite tubeless repair kit, which meant making the tiny tiny hole into a proper hole !

So far so good....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

True utility have a few options for around a tenner on Amazon for multi-tools with pliers that aren't leatherman quality but aren't total junk either.

This set of mini pliers from screwfix are also decent quality: https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel- ... eces/7045c

Also handy for snipping zip-ties and the like.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

You'll not be disappointed with the Leatherman Squirt PS4, has to be in blue though :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

The wee electronic Crocodile clips are good for this purpose. I also have a Squirt for longer trips. Only leatherman with a corkscrew :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I cut strips of inner tube and tie a knot in them for tubeless repairs - works very well and free. Some sealant won't seal a hole unless it has a thorn in it. Squirt seal from in2dust works well.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Cheep as chips option for £3, quite reasonable for the price. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2223807279
Never knowingly under biked...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Skeletool CX for me. I’ve stripped and serviced a hub trailside with one so wouldn’t use any other brand. I bought a Leatherman OHT in the US for about £40 and it’s simply excellent. Pliers are much tougher but at the expense of weight
Pat

Post by Pat »

I have a little set of knippex adjustable a (5"?) and a small pair of vintage flat ripped pliers, which weigh cock all.....I can do most things with them and a small park tool pcs-9 I think it's called....multi tool thing
Pat

Post by Pat »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't follow.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

My last set of pliers cost me £120,000 7 years ago...

...but I got a free mortgage with them :lol:

Should have framed them instead of leaving them to rot outside :roll:
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

AlasdairMc wrote:Skeletool CX for me. I’ve stripped and serviced a hub trailside with one so wouldn’t use any other brand. I bought a Leatherman OHT in the US for about £40 and it’s simply excellent. Pliers are much tougher but at the expense of weight
Aye, but at the risk of sounding like an arse, the descriptions on Amazon and Multi-Tool Store say "All locking blades and tools", which, if true, means they're not UK carry-legal, not even for the eventuality that it's useful, maybe, just in case. At least I don't think so, not from what I've read about this over the years, in the UK.

Some Leatherman tools are locking-blade and some are a normal penknife-type spring (but not locking) — only the latter are carry-legal. I was bought one of the latter many years ago and it incorporates my favourite plyers; but my Dad's is the locking type, and I had to point out to him that he couldn't keep it in the car :sad:
RIP

Post by RIP »

That's quite a fun option Rich3 mate - you got one? Like that it folds up. How much does it weight, how long is it? Oh what the hell, it's £2.89! Let's see what it's like.

"Cheap as chips" - you must get your chips at that gourmet place in Berkhamsted then :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

A preposterous 42g Reg, but could probably save a gram or two of if i take the chain off.

Never knowingly under biked...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta. Bit heavier than I expected (but then I was expecting single-figures, haha :wink:). My mini non-folders are only 45g somehow, but obv don't fold up so ta for tip-orf.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Wilkyboy wrote:
AlasdairMc wrote:Skeletool CX for me. I’ve stripped and serviced a hub trailside with one so wouldn’t use any other brand. I bought a Leatherman OHT in the US for about £40 and it’s simply excellent. Pliers are much tougher but at the expense of weight
Aye, but at the risk of sounding like an arse, the descriptions on Amazon and Multi-Tool Store say "All locking blades and tools", which, if true, means they're not UK carry-legal, not even for the eventuality that it's useful, maybe, just in case. At least I don't think so, not from what I've read about this over the years, in the UK.

Some Leatherman tools are locking-blade and some are a normal penknife-type spring (but not locking) — only the latter are carry-legal. I was bought one of the latter many years ago and it incorporates my favourite plyers; but my Dad's is the locking type, and I had to point out to him that he couldn't keep it in the car :sad:
You’re fine if you have a good reason for it, but I don’t have it on me all the time. It sits in a pack with other tools, which is a reasonable use, especially given that it’s packed into a rucksack as opposed to in a speed holster, ready for action.

Some info here: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Wilkyboy wrote:Aye, but at the risk of sounding like an arse, the descriptions on Amazon and Multi-Tool Store say "All locking blades and tools", which, if true, means they're not UK carry-legal, not even for the eventuality that it's useful, maybe, just in case. At least I don't think so, not from what I've read about this over the years, in the UK.
You’re fine if you have a good reason for it, but I don’t have it on me all the time. It sits in a pack with other tools, which is a reasonable use, especially given that it’s packed into a rucksack as opposed to in a speed holster, ready for action.

Some info here: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm
Good to know, thanks :-bd
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I usually have a pair of these in the toolkit.

https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Knipex-Pl ... XMQAvD_BwE

BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

These are on offer at the moment - £4.99

I picked up a pair - 89g on the kitchen scale. They feel well made but yet to use them in anger so can't fully comment yet

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/12-in ... 1426.aspx/
Image Image
chris n

Post by chris n »

wriggles wrote:The wee electronic Crocodile clips are good for this purpose. I also have a Squirt for longer trips. Only leatherman with a corkscrew :-bd
Juice has the corkscrew, not the Squirt. There are a couple of other options if you really need a corkscrew - Gerber MP400 Corkscrew and the discontinued Leatherman Flair. Or there's an add-on for the Victorinox Swisstool and Swisstool Spirit. :ugeek: :-bd