fargo question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

burty

fargo question

Post by burty »

has anyone used a fargo with jones bars or just normal bars other than the drops it comes with .
if so how did it ride
fatbikephil

Re: fargo question

Post by fatbikephil »

I tried mine for a bit with those humpert loop bars (narrower and less sweep than a Jones). They were comfy but the bike looked a bit like a town bike :grin: . A mate tried various alt bars (inc loops) on hers with varying degrees of success as the front end geo is not dissimilar to an old style Jones diamond (which she now has)
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

This is something on the back burner at present but have been thinking the same and done some reading up.
Lots on the web if you google it . The discussion is around the optimum riding position and whether this can be achieved by stem length or frame sizing.
(This is where you could really do with one of those movable frame jigs.)
See https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycletouring ... _dropbars/
'I put Jones Loop Bars (710mm) on my 2011 Fargo 2, and love it all the more. (I did use a longer and less-steep stem to compensate for the flats vs. drops.) I also have Schwalbe Big Apples on it, and the Fargo rides like a dream in this setup'.
Others say just by an El Mariachi.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ton

Post by ton »

i ran loops on a fargo for a year or so. felt ok, but very upright, which i like
could never use the fargo with the flared drops......very uncomfortable, with not a lot of control offroad.

looked ok too

ImagecidImage_FOT21B9.JPG by 20ston, on Flickr
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I have. It was better with dropped bars, as it was designed to be. No issues riding Calderdale trails on this setup, you just need to be able to move around the bike a lot.

As others have said, get an El Mar, mine has only ever had Jones bars on it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have Jones Loops on my El Mar

(which is rigid, SS and currently has mudguards for full niche)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

You're niche is so normal it's nice.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Ha, my rigid SS El Mariachi has Jones Loops too. :-bd
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Ran Jones on my Fargo for about 3 years and loved em, never really got on with the drops for bikepacking/proper mtb stuff. Had to run a stupid long 120mm and a whole stack of headset spacers to get position right though. The only downside I found was a lack of aero or tuck position on long road stretches so ended up attaching arm rests and cut down aero bars to the front of the loops. Mr Jones was obviously inspired by idea as he came out with the narwhal :wink: Now I have the Stooge Fargo has been rebuilt with drops for gravel riding.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

I now have Ton's Fargo ^^^ which has been fitted with a set of Fu Manchu bars. I previously had another Fargo but I didn't get on with the drops, however I really like this one now that it has been fitted with swept bars and I find it to be very comfortable as a result.

ImageP1090695 by motorman2013, on Flickr
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i put jones bars on my fargo but it felt sub standard so i bought a jones frame :mrgreen: