BB200 - Too early for a what tyres thread?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

BB200 - Too early for a what tyres thread?

Post by sean_iow »

Apologies for this. In the summer I run Nobby Nics (650B) set up tubeless. On my last two big rides I’ve had rear wheel punctures that didn’t seal. The first might have been due to a lack of sealant, had to put a tube in to complete the ride. The second was on day 2 of a 3 day trip, I had my ‘worms’ with me so managed to plug it. The tyres don't look overly worn so perhaps I have just been unlucky? As winter’s coming I put my winter tyres back on, Panaracer Fire Pro.

Went for a ride on them last night and I’d forgotten how draggy they are on the road and how little grip there is on roots/rock/hard ground – well anything but mud. I’m thinking maybe I’d invest in some new tyres as the Panaracers are 2 years old anyway. Having never ridden in Wales and with an entry to the BB200 what are peoples recommendations? They need to be 650B (27.5) and about 2.5 max width and probably better around the 2.3 width at the back for clearance on the rear stays. I run them tubeless on Stans rims.

I could just swap out the rear Nobby Nic for one off my spare front wheel (I have 2 fronts as I don't have the dyno wheel in all the time) and go with them? I made it round the Braunton 150 on the Nobby Nics without issue but I've no idea if the ground conditions in Wales are similar? and I'm guessing it might be a bit wetter in October?

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Chew

Re: BB200 - Too early for a what tyres thread?

Post by Chew »

Rounds ones :wink:

In all seriousness something fast rolling. Usual split is around
30% Road
30% Gravel tracks
30% Moorland
5% Singletrack
5% Pushing
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Chew wrote:Rounds ones :wink:
I deserved that :lol: When I used to race land rovers and people asked for tyre recommendation I used to say "black and round" :lol:

It was the rolling resistance of the Panaracers which alarmed me, either that or the effort of getting them on the rims has used up all my fitness. Riding with them on a flat road seemed more effort than riding uphill on a loaded bike. Perhaps the Nobby Nics will be ok and my recent bad luck with punctures has just made me panic. As a singlespeeder they need to be easy to push :smile:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

:lol:
Worrying about the finer points of tread patterns whilst opting for only one choice of gear - that actually made me laugh
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

What tyres for tussocks??

Ikons, Exo flavour, for me. 2.35 on 35mm rims come up quite large, Roll well, grip ok in the damp, not great in real mud but what is? I ride them most of the time. HT550, relentless, in the Peak most of the year round. Didn't get round to swapping them out last winter!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I happened to bump into the owner of the LBS at lunch and he said Maxxis for the durability. He suggested Forekaster? They seem a bit more aggressive and are about the same weight as the Ikons. I'll have to go round the shop Monday and have a look at them side by side to get a better feel for the tread patterns.

It looks like Maxxis is the way to go. When I tell people I normally run Schwalbe they are amazed I don't have more failures as they say the sidewalls are weak?

Cheers for the suggestions.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd stick with a Nobby Nic up front.

Something like a Maxxis Ardent on the back has the right mix of grip and speed.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I ran a Vee Trax Fatty on the front and an Ardent 2.4 on the rear for the Highland Trail and will be again for the BB200, really good combo.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I almost never go Ikons both ends for the BB200. I'd rather go a little slower than slide off the edge of a hill in the middle of the night.
Matt

Post by Matt »

E-bike tyres
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'll throw my usual Bontrager XR series into the ring. The XR0 is virtually a slick tyre with increasing tread up to the XR4 which is very aggressive. The XR2 is probably equivalent to the Ikon in terms of tread. There's also a "Mud" model for, well, mud. There's a couple of ranges, I use the "team issue" range.

In winter I use XR4 on the front and XR3 on the back, swapping to XR2/XR1 for drier conditions. I'm not the lightest rider nor do I have much trail finesse but I've had no sidewall problems whatsoever.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Anything fast rolling for pushing up the hills :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I'm a fan of the On-One Smorgasbord and Chunky Monkey - made by Maxxis, very durable and a good trade-off between grip and rolling resistance.

That said, I'll be running a 3in Knard on a Crest rin on the front for the second year running. All kinds of wrong on paper but hasn't let me down yet ...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Chew wrote:Rounds ones :wink:

In all seriousness something fast rolling. Usual split is around
30% Road
30% Gravel tracks
30% Moorland
5% Singletrack
5% Pushing
Only 5% pushing? :-bd

Bought some Conti AT ride tyres from Germany.
Seem almost ideal.
When I get round to using them I will report back.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

adjustablewench wrote::lol:
Worrying about the finer points of tread patterns whilst opting for only one choice of gear - that actually made me laugh
It takes my mind off having to choose what gear ratio to fit, which might become a whole other thread yet :lol: Once I've started a ride I just have to put up with whatever chain-ring/cog combination I've fitted and get on with it. I still have 3 gears though... sitting, standing and pushing :grin: Did riding at SSUK not convert you to the one true path? :wink:

Thanks for all the replies. Having ridden another 70 miles over the weekend both on and off road on the Panaracers I've decided that the tyre choice should be anything but them :lol: They are great for durability so may go back on for local rides during the winter but the lack of grip and high rolling resistance is not an ideal combination if I'm going to go all the way to Wales and then try to ride 200k in one go!
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

sean_iow wrote: I still have 3 gears though... sitting, standing and pushing :grin:
The old fixed gear joke was you always have two gears i.e. 72" and 24" (two feet).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Topic of conversation this end is centred around 'what bread?'
May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I brought a couple of flat breads with feta cheese, pesto and tomato last year. Only managed to eat one in the end though. Struggled to keep eating I seem to remember...

Si
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

darbeze wrote:I brought a couple of flat breads with feta cheese, pesto and tomato last year. Only managed to eat one in the end though. Struggled to keep eating I seem to remember...

Si
Last year i stopped at the town approx half way (like most people) bought two portions of special fried rice; inhaled one and had the other at approx 2am. Very tasty, even cold.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

There can be only one.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

No way I am expecting an artisan loaf fashioned from tussocks in the shape of a llama
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

So from the above advice should I run these for the expected conditions :lol:

They look like they have similar grip levels to my current tyres. Don't know if I'll get them in 650B so might have to dig out an old 26" bike.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I'm actually thinking about tyres now . . .mainly because my 29er rear is looking rather worn and I'm not sure I want to ride 650b+

The weather is looking Welsh from here https://m.accuweather.com/en/gb/llanbry ... ast/712086

And I've just seen this
Did riding at SSUK not convert you to the one true path? :wink:
I have to say I went along to marshal not ride ss - I've got enough issues stacked against me riding atm - I don't want to add lack of gears to that too!! :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm hopefully picking up a pair of Maxis Forekasters tomorrow from the LBS. I was in the shed earlier and after the weekend's mudfest the bike needs new brake pads both ends and I've also spotted the rear wheel bearings are very tight, so the big question is...

Protect and Shine for the paintwork or Uber wax :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not much mud to be had here. Mud's a southern thing ... the rain washes ours away :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way