TD - To dynamo or no.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

TD - To dynamo or no.

Post by Richpips »

So I've dabbled with dynamo tech. On our 4700km 54,000M +/- French trip I used an SP8 coupled with an Igaro convertor which for the first 3 weeks it was working was OK.

Though as I mentioned elsewhere under ~6 miles an hour little or no charge.

On our French trip which was mainly road we averaged 11.2 mph. I reckon closer to 8mph on the divide?

Looking at a couple of TD strava tracks 8mph on a 100 mile day the dynamo would be charging for 3-4 hours.

I am considering a dynamo for both of us for the Tour Divide, but am not convinced at the lower speed that they are worth the drag/weight penalty, or the potential hassles.

I've got 2 Anker 20,100mah batteries which could run a GPS and keep my phone juiced for a week or more. Charging in motels overnight instead.

Your opinions please?
ianfitz

Re: TD - To dynamo or no.

Post by ianfitz »

If I was racing it then would certainly go Dynamo and a small cache battery. Means you have lights when needed and power too. I'd be planning on short breaks, not necessarily always at motels. Longer days riding would mean more darkness.

If I was planning on stopping regularly for 'proper' nights sleep then recharging batteries would be a better option. Less need for lights then too.

I've never noticed the drag from a dynamo. It's variable depending on speed though isn't it?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

While I like the idea of dynamos, as you note you do need to be moving at a reasonable pace to get the benefit of them. On the HT550 I went with a 20,000mAh powerbank and took care to keep usage in check so the phone was off unless I actually wanted to phone/text; enabled all power saving tricks I could find on the GPS; used the lowest setting on the bike light. In theory I think the powerbank had five full charges for the GPS.

The only downside is the weight (370g) and making sure you keep it from getting wet.

I suppose if you aimed to or could stop in a motel every third or fourth night then recharging isn't really a problem.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Sold my SON and e-werk and went back to just power bank charging.
The one thing I do miss is the front light and struggling to find/afford a replacement at present.
I don't miss a fuel pod full of wires and charging paraphernalia and forgetting to disconnect the dynamo when taking my front wheel off. :roll:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

If you're touring and willing to do extended stops and not night riding much - batteries.

If you're moving faster - dyno for light.

I'd not bother with any UBS charging, you can wall plug on the go when you stop for food, lots of truck stops en route have power sources outside if you know where to look.

As for drag... imperceivable compared to surface conditions and weather. As for weight, you'll compensate for the weight of the dyno in the weight of batteries you carry - batteries are heavy.

I will happily take a dyno and light on the TDR on my next run.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks.

We'll certainly be moving with urgency though not riding much at night, best case scenario would be around 25 days.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Each time I've been there, I've carried a spare set of batteries (CR123) for the Spark and a USB 2-port wall wart for the Joystick. I charge the joystick when I'm in cafés or if the weather is dire, in a hotel room. SPOT and GPS batteries are also carried and replenished along the route (AAA and AA respectively). You don't need huge amounts of light. A little bit in the mornings before the sun is up and a little bit in the evening if you're planning on snatching a couple of late hours. Daylight per day is long for the TD.

Greetz

S.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If you're looking for a charger then these (although not cheap) are great!
2x USB output, folds up really small & with the US adapter weighs 59grams..

https://www.themu.co.uk/collections/int ... veller-duo

Originally bought mine for bike trips, but have been using it every day since for all kinds..

I've now got a dyno hub, but would also take this along..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I had a dyno and cache battery, I still used the power outlets in motels, just more reliable. Also make sure to get a US USB power supply that is at least 2A output for fast charging.

Well my dyno hub is way over 12000 miles now and going strong, Jonnystorm's blew up in Montana. So, it's a gamble too.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

To be fair, his Dyno was squealing before we started the TDR...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

After much consideration on what to do for long trips my decision was....

A "LARGE" Anker pack
Fairly light for its capacity, is large and heavy though; however, this pack has dual input for VERY fast charging
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JIWQPMW

Bought this Anker charger
2.4A per port (but only if using two ports)
Emailed Anker, no inclination to include the USA or NZ adapters
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y5RJ32B

There are other chargers that are the Anker rebranded
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NGYHSBY
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071CJR3CB
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:To be fair, his Dyno was squealing before we started the TDR...
It was brand new before the off and died in it's 841st mile!

I was a bit buggered by only having a pair of small batteries that were just supposed to be buffers. If you had decent battery packs that where quallcomm quickcharge in and out and a suitable quick charger you'd get by without a dynamo. As Greg alluded, lots of places had sockets outside if you weren't able to get in.

After my failed I got by with a lezyne macro duo and a 350 lumen light from the bike shop I got a new wheel from. Apart from one or two occasions their lowest settings (150 lums) was enough light usually.

My phone was in airplane mode and only used as a camera or map double check so lasted easily between power sources.

I have used my warranty replacement hub on the road but probably wouldn't bother for off road when my ancient six pack still lasts 24hrs on low, i.e. what the revo does on a good day.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Can’t say I have error noticed drag on either sp or son hub on any of my bikes.

Worth having, I have them now on all my bikes even just for daytime running lights, let alone phone/garmin charging.

SON do make a difference at lower speeds, however when the love mud one arrives on Wednesday I’ll produce some actual figures and we can see if I am correct or not.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Can’t say I have error noticed drag on either sp or son hub on any of my bikes.
No one notices the drag from any modern dynamo.

My math says 2/3rds - 3/4rs of a day we'd be taxed though.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Batteries are great for a trips lasting a couple of days enabling you to top up charge on electrical items. However dynamos really come in to their own the longer you travel and give you a lot more flexibilty.

I found the SON and Ewerk to be really good at low speeds, and believe me I grovelled up some Andean passes!

Between the pair of you, I'd consider having one dynamo and then one battery. You've got the best of both worlds then enabling the dynamo to keep on top of rechargeable batteries etc and then USB battery for quickly charging phones, MP3 players etc.

As others have said weight will be broadly equivalent and drag is probably negligible.

If you're worried Tom will be quicker than you, just make sure to put some stones in his frame bag ;-)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'm currently sitting in Three Barrel Brewing in Del Norte, I'm touring the route. I'm not a fast rider and have managed so far using a backup battery, I've only ridden after dark twice and then only for an hour or so.

I've ridden with people way faster than me that were having trouble keeping the speed high enough for their dyno to work. If you're not racing there are so many opportunities to plug stuff in its not worth worrying about.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

New Boost (bah) forks have had me looking at a possible new dyno - so I perused the SP site and noticed this:

In theory, 15mm suspension folks with QR15 thru-axle hubs should be stronger than standard. In practice, mechanical design limitations have reduced bearing size and thus durability.

SP engineers have devoted considerable time and resources to creating a mechanical design strategy for overcoming this technical challenge. These efforts have culminated in an innovative mechanical design relying on superior quality bearings and precision assembly processes. Our computer aided modeling (sic) simulations indicate that we have perfected the interplay between bearing and limited internal space, making the new 8X bearing assembly as durable as the time tested – and proven – 8 Series hubs. Formally released in 2017, we stand behind the newest version of our 8X dynamo hubs.

One wonders if this is due to how many returns they've had of late?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Hmmmm... I returned a QR hub for repair as I belive did Stu.