I don't get this at all (event)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Single Speed George

Re: I don't get this at all (event)

Post by Single Speed George »

To be fair when we did bearstock at stews we knew there was a camp site and beer waiting .... plus bilions of midges....

stop beeing event snobs the people on bike and bivi have to go somewhere .... :P ;)
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I was surprised to see this described as a 'boutique event', something I didn't associate with my understanding of bikepacking, so I asked them what that means:
"Just done with a lot of attention to detail and low numbers. You'll definetly get a hello from the organiser and hopefully walk off with a smile."
So now we know.

I think having a vehicle move their kit would have destroyed any notion that this is a bikepacking event, just another supported multi-day cycling event. Nothing wrong with that, and I have enjoyed that sort of thing many times in the past, just nothing to do with bikepacking. In general I think what Markus is doing with Bikepacking Scotland is very positive, even if i don't wholeheartedly buy into the concept of 'more people on bikes' being the ultimate goal. The explosion in popularity of cycling over recent years has exposed some twatish behaviour that creates tension amongst road/trail users and doesn't help those who ride responsibly.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

who knew that going for a ride, having a sleep, then going riding again was that complicated that you need to be taught how to do it
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

SteveM wrote:who knew that going for a ride, having a sleep, then going riding again was that complicated that you need to be taught how to do it
Judging from this forum and the amount of questions on equipment etc then I would say "quite..." :wink:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

It's not something that would interest me, but I think there is definitely a market for this type of event and dare I say it a need to pass on some sense and knowledge in a supported environment for the benefit of ' the rest of us'.

I pretty much do everything I do ( walking, cycling, sailing etc) solo and unsupported with no external organisation, but I think its easy to forget that for many its just far too intimidating for them, it really is!

Just look how popular all these mass events are that cost a fortune. My idea of hell, but not theirs.

I work in outdoor access and I'm amazed at what people are fearful off. Often things I find hard to consider an issue. It's really silly at times. My 9 year old has more confidence, ability and sense than many grown adults outdoors.

Seems a good, cheap and worthy way to add value to some ones interests and get them doing stuff whilst hopefully passing on the right messages.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How do you put a state of mind into just one word!?!
Freedom ... that pretty much sums it up :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I work in outdoor access and I'm amazed at what people are fearful off. Often things I find hard to consider an issue. It's really silly at times. My 9 year old has more confidence, ability and sense than many grown adults outdoors.
Very good point. I know that at times I'm guilty of forgetting just what a world of soft tw*ts we've become :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

As is evidenced by the lack of a shopper bike completion of BB200 2014 route ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As is evidenced by the lack of a shopper bike completion of BB200 2014 route ;-)
I hold my hands up and seeing as those in glass houses shouldn't walk round bollock naked, I promise the remedy the matter by years end ... if nothing else, it will hopefully provide me with something to write about while I convalesce. :wink:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Moder-dye wrote:Just look how popular all these mass events are that cost a fortune. My idea of hell, but not theirs.
100% agree. Hell is other people, etc.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Very good point. I know that at times I'm guilty of forgetting just what a world of soft tw*ts we've become :-bd
Sadly that's all too true! :cry:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:In general I think what Markus is doing with Bikepacking Scotland is very positive, even if i don't wholeheartedly buy into the concept of 'more people on bikes' being the ultimate goal. The explosion in popularity of cycling over recent years has exposed some twatish behaviour that creates tension amongst road/trail users and doesn't help those who ride responsibly.
I do have reservations about the extent of what Markus is doing, and wasn't there an entry fee for the Capital Trail group start this year?

Better though that newcomers are helped into it with a nod to the correct behaviours and maybe some of the twatish attitude will be left behind.

And as I wrote on my last blog entry....
In the whole spectrum of mountain bike riding, I guess bikepacking is seen as the safe, bimbly cousin of the likes of Enduro. Yet here I was, cold, wet through, hurtling down a steep gravel track in the middle of the Highlands as fast as I possibly could on a skinny-tyred hardtail, loaded up with luggage and juggling the needs of speed and smoothness, in order not to get a debilitating puncture - or worse. .......
I think we can underestimate the relative danger we put ourselves in - the moreso because we've some experience that mitigates the worst of it.
jameso

Post by jameso »

mountainbaker wrote:#outsideisfree
#onmy4grandbike

But yeah ..

TBH, no issues with intro events. 2 days bike glamping, fine. Calling it bikepacking, bandwagoneering perhaps. Care, not really. Might be a good intro. Let event promoters or businesses in all this look after their own credibility. It's a tricky one, in some ways as soon as you start with events related to a diy ethos activity you're on a slippy slope.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh goody, not had philosophy thread for a while! James had a good summary there - 'promoters/businesses to look after their own cred', and people can offer/buy whatever they fancy. It may in some way debase the currency of the 'bikepacking' coin as understood(? :wink: ) here, but I for instance hugely object to McD promoting their concept of 'food' and debasing that currency to the point of Zimbabwean hyperinflation but as ever I'm in a minority and have to put up with it, whilst also being free to try and put forward a different view. It's a free market so crack on. But James also astutely made this good point: 'events related to a diy ethos is a slippery slope' which must also be true. An event must be incredibly 'loose' in its format to still relate to 'diy-ness' in a meaningful way. They are an oxymoron. Having all your stuff carted round and a guaranteed 'spot' for the night with guaranteed food and water is not an 'intro to bikepacking', it's surely an 'intro to T*****g'? A BP intro is, well, look no further than the perfection that is WRT - you're not in all reality gonna run out of water, food or shelter; you may well suffer varying degrees of imposed/selfimposed discomfort/deprivation but it's YOUR suffering :). As said above, it's a frame of mind you're trying to give the intro to. Despite many years of bike tramping my first WRT had an element of 'scariness' but it was all up to me, and that was the beginning, middle and end of the whole point. If there's no 'unknown' I don't think it's bikepacking, intro or not. In summary I think there's an element if currency debasement going on, but if someone offers and if someone buys then fine, and we can only promote 'our' 'proper' version as an alternative and await the response. Now is it too late for my Brompton-powered S-bag-luggaged BB200 entry?

R
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Is it OK to take a "noob" out bikepacking to a spot you know will be OK, having provided them with advice on equipment and its fitting and usage? Seems that many of us will have done this (I have). Does that devalue their experience in some way and make it less genuine?

Might as well close this forum as there's so much discussion about routes, locations and kit - loads of noobs could be reading it instead of discovering everything for themselves and making expensive purchasing mistakes.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Good points, well made Reg :-bd.

Tumbleweed on standby... :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

M-P: " :wink:" :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
How do you put a state of mind into just one word!?!
Freedom ... that pretty much sums it up :wink:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

oops wrong thread.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.