29 wheels and frame sizing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trigs

29 wheels and frame sizing

Post by Trigs »

About to buy a new bike, fairly settled on a Ramin 1 due to the price, but ive only had 26" wheels before.

Im 5'6 at most, and going by the evans cycle chart, the small frame size is recommended for me. Will i be able to use a seat pack with 29 wheels and a small frame?

And any other bike recommendations while im at it? I looked at the sonder Frontier, but thats getting a bit beyond my budget. To be fair so is the Ramin, but the reviews all rate it for the price,and the reason im buying a new one is my current bike was a cheapie and gives nothing but hassle :lol:
ScotRoutes

Re: 29 wheels and frame sizing

Post by ScotRoutes »

The frame size itself tells you little about luggage carrying capability. The main area you'll be concerned about is the space between the bottom of the saddle and the top of the tyre. That's determined by BB drop, leg length and wheel size. So, if you have the option, go for frames with a relatively high BB.

FWIW, I'm 5'7" and can ride a 29er with a decent sized saddle bag. 650 tyres offer a bit more space. My custom Pact has a relatively high BB to improve things too.

Note - there's a similar issue at the front of the bike.....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I guess a visit to Evans with your luggage would reveal all
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm 5'7" too and ride a wide and varied mix of stuff in both small and medium sizes. The Ramin+ I've spend many a happy hour on is a medium and I've had no clearance problems - same goes for the Sonder frontier again in medium.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

Ive had a look at my current and its an 18" frame. Slightly too big for me but has never been an issue really, so i may lean towards a medium Ramin as its a 17" going by their chart.
Though ive just googled evans shops and realised theres one with 8 miles of me. May be worth a look first
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My thinking could be out here but ... will a small frame not give you greater clearance than a medium seeing as the height of the wheel is a constant regardless of frame size but in theory, you'll have more seatpost sticking out?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:My thinking could be out here but ... will a small frame not give you greater clearance than a medium seeing as the height of the wheel is a constant regardless of frame size but in theory, you'll have more seatpost sticking out?
Is the saddle height not also a constant so with a small you'll get more seatpost to strap the bag to but not more clearance?
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

True, with my current 18" i dont have much seatpost showing for attaching too.

Frame size not an issue then for the seatpack, more leg length and seat height.
At my size i think either the medium or small would do me, but if i go medium it gives me a bit extra space for framebag/water bottles inside the frame (?)

I am clueless btw on bikes, i just cycle the things when they work. Had to have a cramming session on 650, 650+,29 before i narrowed it down to the 29 :lol:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

ive just got a Ramin 1 from Guntree. Medium, I'm 5'8 31" inside leg. I was concerned about size because I have a small in everything - CX, Road, aggro 26" Hardtail - but the fit is perfect, as per the sizing chart.

I can measure this evening the seatpost I'm running and see what room my Apidura bag has if that helps you decide - a Small would give you more seatpost and so more room.

The Medium certainly does not have room for a second bottle down the seat tube, so I will have to strap one under the down tube.

edit, it is a great bike for the money. Brakes are surprisingly good. Shifting is too soft (I guess the target market will prefer that than firmer) but fine (once stuff wears out I'll change to 1*10 or 2*10) (it does have routing for a top pull front mech). Will take 2.4 tyres and so you can drop the pressure for some extra suspension - on the stock 2.2 I am down at 20psi with me at 60kg
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ctznsmith wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:My thinking could be out here but ... will a small frame not give you greater clearance than a medium seeing as the height of the wheel is a constant regardless of frame size but in theory, you'll have more seatpost sticking out?
Is the saddle height not also a constant so with a small you'll get more seatpost to strap the bag to but not more clearance?
That's correct.

Clearance is dictated by leg length and BB drop. You can also gain a little by the use of shorter cranks.

Exposed seatpost length might affect choice of seatpack and the angle at which it can be fitted. Steeper angles (on a longer seatpost) do seem to be a bit less wobbly.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Can't offer any advice on sizing but I have a Ramin 1 (large) and it's great. Mine's already evolved quite a bit (only bought it earlier this year) with the addition of bits I had lying around. It's now 3x9 XT/Deore mix which allows me the low gears that my lack of fitness demands. The tyres are running tubeless (no problems so far despite reading of issues with X-Kings) and it's about to sprout a suspension fork option (depending on the riding I'm doing). It's a great basic mountain bike that adapts really well to bikepacking. :-bd
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

jamiep wrote: I can measure this evening the seatpost I'm running and see what room my Apidura bag has if that helps you decide - a Small would give you more seatpost and so more room.
Thanks for that, but i ended up buying a medium last night. Was in no hurry as i thought my plans for this holiday weekend were ruined by current bike giving issues again, but i noticed last night that they have a next day delivery option for bikes, so its been dispatched today and should hopefully come tommorrow :-bd
Was going to go in for a look first perhaps, but ordering in store the site told me it would be Friday at earliest which im intending to be away by.

So impulse purchase on the medium. Going by the posts here and measurements etc i think it should be fine for me, so thanks for all the info.

Not intending any customisations yet. Ive actually been running my current bike as 1x9 just by removing the front shifter and sticking it in the middle with the chain guide. Was an attempt to narrow down an issue, but i ended up realising i only used the other 2 rings at the front the odd time anyway, so im happy with 1x9 for now.

Think the one thing i do need to get for it is diffrent bar grips. I get a sore wrist after a long ride holding the straight bars on current, so im thinking something to let me change positions will help out.

Does seem a good bike going by the reviews ive seen elsewhere.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Medium, 31in inside leg, 17cm of Westport showing, 3cm clearance for the bag.

The stock grips aren't great and need swapped immediately
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

Bike came today. Would agree the stock grips feel pretty uncomfy from initial feel.
Pretty good service since i only bought it on Tuesday night, and im gonna assume that the gears not being set up the best were due to a rush to get it sent out. Soon as i turned the pedals to wheel it out the box the chain slipped off towards the spokes, so had to fiddle with the limit screws as they were quite a bit out. Other than that no problems.

Definetly better set up for bikepacking than my last bike. Has 2 cage mounts in the frame, 1 underneath the frame, and 1 on either side of the forks.
Not checked my seat pack yet, but theres more than enough seat post showing. Clearance might be tight, but as posted earlier in thread, regardless of frame size, my seat height and tyre height would still be the same.

Might get a test ride tonight if the rain stops, or else trial by fire for 3 days starting from tommorrow up to Kinlochleven

Pretty nice looking bike in black, happy with purchase.