Best bar set up

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

msrockhopper

Best bar set up

Post by msrockhopper »

I've been using a simple set up on my bars of my Tent in a dry bag and simply velcroed to the bars. This has worked well apart from the bag rubbing onto the bolts on the stem. To solve this issue I'm looking at upgrading to either the Salsa anything exp cradle or an Alpemayo harness which was well reviewed on Bearbones. Both look good but does anyone have any other recommendations or suggestions.
The set up must be able to handle the rough stuff off road.
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Best bar set up

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Jones bar, Alpkit dry-bag (they have loops for straps to go through) and Wildcat Lioness. No need for a harness, Very secure, lots of storage space, no rubbing bags/frame and easy access to stuff you want quickly.

Other suitable options are available!
msrockhopper

Post by msrockhopper »

Does this set up clear the allen bolts on the stem? Was thinking of doing this as one solution to my problem. I'm only putting about 1kg on there.
Last edited by msrockhopper on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

For a heavier load up front I like the wildcat harness. And jones bars ( but it works well with flats or drops too)
ootini

Post by ootini »

The Alpamayo harness does look very nice, but there are cheaper alternatives available. I was seconds from pushing the button on an Alpamayo when I was offered a basic Triglav harness for a lot less dosh, being a tight git I went for it, and to be honest, it's vaguely exciting. Rock solid, similar fitting to the Alpamayo, but doesn't look quite as nice as it's plain black. What about the Alpkit Joey? Very, very basic, but it would stop the bolt rub and it's only about £15 I think!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I've just got rid of my revelate harness, I figured at 400g it wasn't earning it's keep. Now I just strap a dry bag to the bars, gaffa tape the bolts. Save money and weight. :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
msrockhopper

Post by msrockhopper »

Must admit I did look at the Alpkit Joey but then just zip tied a piece of inner tube over the bolts instead. Think I'll save my money for the time being while I look around further.