taking a bike on a train info req

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

paramart

taking a bike on a train info req

Post by paramart »

i'm doing the ride London for charity but have met with a dilemma no bike space available on any network so can you, or have any of you, taken a bike in a cycle bag and put it in the luggage bit, do you have to book it on if you can, ta
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
benp1

Re: taking a bike on a train info req

Post by benp1 »

If you can get it on a shoulder and it doesn't look like a bike, I doubt many will even notice it

If it looks like a bike then you're probably stuck...

Unless you do it on a folder
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

This is a tricky one, however I have had the same problem with Virgin trains and still went to the station with two bikes and knowing there was no space, the virgin platform guard person, said its never normally a problem and sure enough there was only one bike in the locker at the front of the train, the driver came out and asked where we were going and helped slide the bikes in, the door was left open and he said as long as he can squeeze past he is not bothered about the number of bikes.
This may not be the case into London though as I know on big event days they are rammed, some operators like Midland Mainline allow bikes in the doorways but only on off-peak trains.
It may be worth cycling in the last bit and avoiding the central London terminus altogether or hiring a van with a mate or two?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wouldn't have thought there was much they could say if it was in a proper bike bag. It's not a bike at that point (nor does it take up room like a bike), it's luggage.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

RideLondon is one of the biggest cycling events in London, folks will travel in from quite far afield to get to it

A back up option might be to drive towards London, and pick up a smaller train line that won't be so busy
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... or just stay at home and send 'em some money. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Do they still demand that you go to that bike show at the Excel to collect your bib numbers etc in person the week before?
I'm just going outside ...
paramart

Post by paramart »

TheBrownDog wrote:Do they still demand that you go to that bike show at the Excel to collect your bib numbers etc in person the week before?
yes but thu/fri/sat the ride is on sun just checked to see if I had misread the dates, would have binned it if I had to go 2 w/ends on the trot
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I used my bike bag 2 years ago doing exactly the same thing. Got on the tube after meeting the family at the end of the event no problem, whilst they turned away normal bikes at the turnstiles. Smug feeling with the prior planning.