Jenn Ride route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Jenn Ride route

Post by benp1 »

Richard G wrote:I guess aiming for somewhere around Hawkshead or Satterthwaite might work for day one. Then either a shorter, or really leisurely day two.
In that case

1 - Poppi Red in Hawkshead is nice (Hawkshead in general is nice, so much so I booked an AirBnB place for a week's family holiday in August after I got back from my trip)
2 - Cafe in Grizedale visitor centre. It was closed for renovation when we went through in March but should be open again now
3 - Eagles Head pub in Satterthwaite is excellent. Can get busy though, might need to book

Lots of other options, but the pub is an excellent place for a stop
2 might be better than 1 as there is a climb straight after 1. Not massive though
Another climb after 2 so I would recommend doing that, doing the epic descent and then being rewarded by 3
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:I guess aiming for somewhere around Hawkshead or Satterthwaite might work for day one. Then either a shorter, or really leisurely day two.

Last year a good number of us bivvied around Wise E'en Tarn on Claife Heights - there's lots of bivy spots either in or out of trees depending on weather. It's not too stressful to get there - I had an MRT incident that took up 90mins and had a meal in Hawkshead. Can't remember the distance last year but this year it's at 118Km. Another good spot is on the ridge between Grizedale Forest and Parkamoor at about the 105Km mark.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheers both. Will be riding with a bikepacking virgin, but he's pretty fit so I don't envisage any problems with the actual riding.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Now planning to ride in bimble mode with camera and a stack of film. Will find somewhere to sleep at some point :)

Any other foolish singlespeeds this year?
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

GregMay wrote:Now planning to ride in bimble mode with camera and a stack of film. Will find somewhere to sleep at some point :)

Any other foolish singlespeeds this year?
Not singlespeeding, but considering taking a few rolls of film. And always bumbling...
Javi

Post by Javi »

I'm on single speed too but still haven't decided which route to do yet. Very easy pedalling on 32x21 or similar
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Javi wrote:I'm on single speed too but still haven't decided which route to do yet. Very easy pedalling on 32x21 or similar
Ahh someone else on a Calderdale gearing :)
Javi

Post by Javi »

Sorry I'm confused. Do you mean Calderdale area is steep? Therefore spinny gearing?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Javi wrote:Sorry I'm confused. Do you mean Calderdale area is steep? Therefore spinny gearing?
I do.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Hi guys and gals riding the route Saturday weather permitting :-) people complained last year I did it in a out and back!!! trails are very dry at the moment I do think this route is better than last year.
Will post the stats on Sunday hopefully
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Most excellent!
postierich

Post by postierich »

Route has been checked a strong coffee at The YHA in Ambleside sorted me out for the last 15 miles!
https://www.strava.com/activities/965088164
ImageUntitled by Richard Munro, on Flickr
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

13 and a bit hours moving time and 76 hrs elapsed? Long queues at the bars then? :wink:
postierich

Post by postierich »

Due to me working I rode 15 miles to the bottom of Garburn on Thursday night as I was working till 3pm on Saturday so paused the Garmin the restarted when I hit Garburn again as I had plans to meet up with people at Bays Brown Campsite and the extra 15 miles would have eating into my drinking time :-bd
postierich

Post by postierich »

T shirt is being produced 12.50 all proceeds to Macmillan Cancer Care
https://www.facebook.com/events/1778400 ... 945902422/
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

But I'm not bivvying! :cry:
BuzzardBoy

Post by BuzzardBoy »

My plan is to SS this too but starting to worry about my gearing as a soft southerner. Normally ride a 34/19 and was planning on a 32/19 but now wondering if a 32/20 would be better. Bit of a struggle but managed 130km/2700m a couple of weeks ago BUT that was not loaded. Thoughts from locals or those with more experience?
postierich

Post by postierich »

32:19 I reckon :-)

Webpage sorted https://richardmunro5.wixsite.com/jennride
benp1

Post by benp1 »

You'll be freewheeling the downs anyway, so I'd go low and spin - but I'm a soft southerner and only SS round my home turf