Hmm, light, small & or heavier, bulky & comfy?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr Arbuckle

Hmm, light, small & or heavier, bulky & comfy?

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

I can't decide what is best for wrt end of month, weather looks good ish but cold at night, down to 1 or 2 not inc wind chill factor and exact altitude. Was going to go light small and not so comfortable with a klymit half pad, yeti fever zero bag and hmg ground sheet and tarp with poles and pegs plus would need thermal bottoms and top and thick wool socks all weighing a total of about 1800g or I take my winter bag and mat, a crux torpedo 700 and exped winter mat and ground sheet, total weight approx 2200g but much bulkier. Decisions, I hate em. :???:
whitestone

Re: Hmm, light, small & or heavier, bulky & comfy?

Post by whitestone »

Taking a better sleeping mat will improve the effective warmth of your lighter bag - you lose a lot of heat to the several trillion, trillion, trillion tonnes of earth beneath you.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Compromise?

Light bag but with heavier mat?

You lose a ton of heat through the floor and klymit are not exactly famed for warmth. So a warmer mat will probably do you more good than a warmer bag will.
Mr Arbuckle

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

I see your point of view and am aware of ground heat loss. Perhaps a foil blanket underneath the bag/mat would help and only add a few grams.
The crux is a waterproof bag and so wouldn't need a tarp or poles or pegs or thermals. I'm carrying all gear in hmg windrider 3400 pack on back so bulk isn't a major issue actually. Just don't want to be cold for 3 nights on the trot with nearly 200 miles planned over the 2 ish days.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Foil blankets are only really good for stopping radiated and evaporative heat loss, whereas the heat you lose to the ground is mostly conducted, through physical contact. A thicker/denser mat is definitely a better idea.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I used my Klymit x-lite pad and a medium weight bag at the weekend and it was fine.

I took the very same pad on the HT550 and discovered a puncture on the first night, and then slept without a pad for the rest of the race :???: If you're tired enough... :lol:
Mr Arbuckle

Post by Mr Arbuckle »

Ian wrote:I used my Klymit x-lite pad and a medium weight bag at the weekend and it was fine.

I took the very same pad on the HT550 and discovered a puncture on the first night, and then slept without a pad for the rest of the race :???: If you're tired enough... :lol:
Thanks for all comments thus far, Ian, I had a leak on my Klymit x lite and it turned out to be the secondary valve, the one you pop the hand pump on to to top up in night if required, this wasloose as glue holding it in place wasnt sufficient so I reglued it with rubber cement and all good not. was yours the same or was it a puncture in the fabric?

I think, as I'm driving over to Pennant from Reading on the Friday night or Sat morning I will take both options and decide on the morning based on weather forecasts and how I feel there and then.