HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote:Still, April in the Highlands innit? It can be 20c one day and -5c the next.
Likewise May.....

Good effort and defo the right decision looking at the weather.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

-2c this morning, scraping the windscreen.....
Howard

Post by Howard »

I've had full blizzard whiteout (less than 18" visibility) in May. I've also set off in shorts with a completely blue sky and 4 hours later been in snow and cloud.......
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

The official definition of a Scottish summer is:

Two fine days and a hailstorm.

:-bd
Give the dirt a little room.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just got the email from Alan, 5 weeks to go.....ulp.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:Just got the email from Alan, 5 weeks to go.....ulp.....
Me too. An interesting diversion in Ft William, looks like it goes right past one of the 24hr garages.

Gear is nearly sorted, the bike's going to get a full strip down and service. Got a couple of long rides/shakedowns planned then ...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote:
Me too. An interesting diversion in Ft William, looks like it goes right past one of the 24hr garages.
The Soldiers Bridge is currently closed for refurbishment. I'm guessing that's the reason for the diversion.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:
whitestone wrote:
The Soldiers Bridge is currently closed for refurbishment. I'm guessing that's the reason for the diversion.
Correct. A bit of time on t'interweb helped work things out :wink:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

mountainbaker wrote:Image
Is that what the blank space is for on the start list?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I don't think so, Neil's name is there at number 34.

Things are starting to pull together :-bd The kit is sorted out (mostly). Probably fit enough. I might even have a plan (beyond Greg May's "ride, ride more, eat, ride some more"). The goodship Solaris is about to go into dry dock for a full refit. Have reccied the northern loop (see other thread) and have done some of the southern loop all of which probably amounts to 250Km but the rest of it will be completely new to me.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote:I don't think so, Neil's name is there at number 34.

Things are starting to pull together :-bd The kit is sorted out (mostly). Probably fit enough. I might even have a plan (beyond Greg May's "ride, ride more, eat, ride some more"). The goodship Solaris is about to go into dry dock for a full refit. Have reccied the northern loop (see other thread) and have done some of the southern loop all of which probably amounts to 250Km but the rest of it will be completely new to me.
Plans are wonderful until they fall apart. THat's the wonderful thing about ride, ride more, eat, ride some more - inherently works unless you forget to eat...or ride I suppose. Plan for the first 36hrs, then all bets are off.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

but the rest of it will be completely new to me
Have you reccied the vertical cow field after Loch Broom? :-bd

It's the hardest bit and never gets a mention

At least it should be dry.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote:
but the rest of it will be completely new to me

At least it should be dry.....
The only bit between Ullapool and Kinlochewe that I've ever been on is walking on the path down to Carnmor after doing a couple of the Munros and when climbing on the crag.

Greg - the plan goes as far as the morning of the second day, after that it's all freeform :wink:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I've ridden / pushed / carried the entire route, just never in one sitting! It's great to hear feedback from recce trips as I won't have the opportunity to do this before the group start. I think there is tremendous value in planning for an event like this, not to produce a rigid schedule that will be difficult to stick to, but to know what your options are as the ride progresses. Like Neil B tweeted, study time is important, and I need to get my head into the detail of resuply opening times, potential bivi sites, 'secret' bothies, bike repair, etc. As Ian F demonstrated last year, it's about minimising time not-moving, and that needs some prior knowledge, unles you are an insomniac!

Still faffing with my bike and kit set-up, and have sacrificed new tyres for the car this month in place of a ludicrously expensive SUL bivi...!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

FYI, I shall be harbinger of doom again this year. Earning my avatar once again.

Twitter feed is here for those that don't know - https://twitter.com/ht_550?lang=en-gb
Instagram here that I'll try update with rider photos as it goes along - https://www.instagram.com/highlandtrail/

I'm going to be in Scotland for the race this year, on Jura for the start, so updates may not be as frequent as past years. But I will make sure to update when a scratch occurs, also a general daily digest of some form. Also, usual waffle will be spouted in a more sleep deprived manner I suspect.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: it's about minimising time not-moving
I thought it was about fun.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alpinum wrote:
It can be both :wink:

One of the reasons for riding the northern loop was that I knew very little about the whole area whereas I've some (limited) knowledge of the areas further south. I know (from Trackleaders) that several people bivvied on the Glen Golly to Bealach Horn section but until you've been there it's hard to appreciate just how little shelter there is there. OK in benign conditions but I really wouldn't want to stop there in a gale. The Ledmore Traverse is similarly exposed.

I've talked with Ian F about route knowledge: in the same way that info about the classic fell running challenges like the Bob Graham Round is now widespread, the HT550 is getting better known both as a ride and about the facilities (or lack thereof) en-route. It's just happened a little quicker as it's all been in the internet age. This knowledge will only become more complete over the coming years as different accounts will slowly "fill in the blanks" so you won't find the data in one place but a bit of internet detective work will get you most of the way there. There'll be changes as businesses come and go or change hands, but generally the resupply points are well known and it's not too hard to adjust your pace to align with opening hours: I wouldn't want to arrive at Contin at 4am for example.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Agree Andy!!!
Variously known as "The Fisherfield Prologue" or " The Coffin Road", it is indeed a tricky little bit.
You spend more time pushing on this than the main climb out of Fisherfield to Carnmore.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

FYI, I shall be harbinger of doom again this year. Earning my avatar once again.

Twitter feed is here for those that don't know - https://twitter.com/ht_550?lang=en-gb
Instagram here that I'll try update with rider photos as it goes along - https://www.instagram.com/highlandtrail/
Good to know Greg, hope to finally meet you there.
I've been on Jura twice with the intention of getting up to Orwell's cottage and not made it yet!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Never got to do the Jura race in my fell running days. Never been on the island, ought to have another touring trip to the west coast sometime and visit all those smaller isles.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

padonbike wrote: I've been on Jura twice with the intention of getting up to Orwell's cottage and not made it yet!
I've got the bike packed to come up as well - when baby sleeps, I'm off for a ride up to the cottage and then on to the whirlpools!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:
Alpinum wrote:
It can be both :wink:
Well I first wanted to state this;
It should be fun.
If you get most fun out of maximising efficiency - go for it.
If you get most fun out of a lunch pint and afternoon coke - go for it.
I've ridden with both and seen both at the finish and both were as happy as one can be :-bd
whitestone wrote: One of the reasons for riding the northern loop was that I knew very little about the whole area whereas I've some (limited) knowledge of the areas further south. I know (from Trackleaders) that several people bivvied on the Glen Golly to Bealach Horn section but until you've been there it's hard to appreciate just how little shelter there is there. OK in benign conditions but I really wouldn't want to stop there in a gale. The Ledmore Traverse is similarly exposed.
Was the main reason to go back in 2016. The unknown N-loop. Alan knew I'd like it and teased me.
Must admit, I had ridden Ullapool to Scrabster past Gobernuisgach Lodge (where things get real on the N-loop) in 2015 in 2-3 °C driving rain, so knew the area a bit.
whitestone wrote: I've talked with Ian F about route knowledge: in the same way that info about the classic fell running challenges like the Bob Graham Round is now widespread, the HT550 is getting better known both as a ride and about the facilities (or lack thereof) en-route. It's just happened a little quicker as it's all been in the internet age. This knowledge will only become more complete over the coming years as different accounts will slowly "fill in the blanks" so you won't find the data in one place but a bit of internet detective work will get you most of the way there. There'll be changes as businesses come and go or change hands, but generally the resupply points are well known and it's not too hard to adjust your pace to align with opening hours: I wouldn't want to arrive at Contin at 4am for example.
Very true. All the Blogs... and I also remember Marshall's many questions for HT550 2016 - which led to more answers I and likely others would have ever asked for.

But given some experience you might as well just start riding. In 2013 I was planning in getting to Contin for food and resupply and missed closing times by about 15 min. Not knowing what alternatives I had looked around a bit and found a hotel with restaurant in Garve. In 2016 I missed Ft. Augustus Food Services by again about 15 min (return leg) and was in need for food to take me through the night. Without even looking for proper alternatives I went for crisps at a bar. Loads of crisps. Worked well.
If you misjudge you'll not going to die.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-39803163

Take care folks.

I'd assuming tracks etc will be fine by the time you get there but it's about as dry as I can remember it being for this time of year.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Take care folks.
Wow - please Lord, looketh after the pie shop. Amen.