Interesting articles on bikepacking aerodynamics/weight

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NorwayCalling

Interesting articles on bikepacking aerodynamics/weight

Post by NorwayCalling »

Interesting article on the difference in speed between bikepacking / front only pannier / rear only pannier / double pannier setups and also about the effect of the amount of weight carried (and how it slows you down).

Have look if this sort of thing floats ya boat..

Weight here: http://www.cyclingabout.com/how-much-do ... n-results/
Before I started this testing, I felt that the effects of weight were blown out of proportion. Some people spend huge amounts of money on lightweight bikes and gear with the idea that it will make their tours easier or faster. Some people even leave gear at home that can significantly improve the comfort of their bike trip.
Aerodynamics here: http://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-diffe ... g-results/
Sarah

Re: Interesting articles on bikepacking aerodynamics/weight

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for that. Spectacularly geeky and really interesting!
Sarah
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Really liked that, but I think the context overlooked was total weight - rider plus load. Put simply, the lighter you are, the bigger impact a heavy load has on speed. The aerodynamics bit was interesting; always thought those big bags mounted on forks was a bad idea, and not just for frontal area drag!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've always felt like a large handlebar bag slows me down massively (I'm guessing this is made worse because I'm fairly light so don't have much momentum).

I tend to avoid using them when possible (or keeping them as small as possible), preferring more kit in frame bags and saddle bags.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Interesting reads :-bd
touch

Post by touch »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Really liked that, but I think the context overlooked was total weight - rider plus load. Put simply, the lighter you are, the bigger impact a heavy load has on speed. The aerodynamics bit was interesting; always thought those big bags mounted on forks was a bad idea, and not just for frontal area drag!
Theoretically, his summary that 1kg adds 1min2sec to his time over the 62mile route would apply to rider weight too. A 70kg rider would be 10mins20sec slower than a 60kg rider but this only applies if both riders output the same power and generally, larger riders have larger muscles and output more power.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I wouldn't get too worried about aero drag at the speeds I ride; the friction in my Rolhoff, dynamo and plus tyres are probably far worse for speed. As for weight, I feel the biggest impact is when HABing. A few extra kg can make the difference between comfortable and barely tolerable when the entire weight in balance on one point on my shoulder!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:I wouldn't get too worried about aero drag at the speeds I ride; the friction in my Rolhoff, dynamo and plus tyres are probably far worse for speed. As for weight, I feel the biggest impact is when HABing. A few extra kg can make the difference between comfortable and barely tolerable when the entire weight in balance on one point on my shoulder!
Same here.

And yet when I connected two Highland crossings of Iceland together by a mix of gravel and ring road I did some tests (single Speed 32/18 on road in rain... can get quite boring ;-)) and found that even resting my hands next to the stem instead of outside on the 760 mm bar I would gain some thing like 10 %. Well 9.88 % to be precise. I was glad I had put on some tape in the middle section.

Once on road going downhill I always make the superman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmibwafGXc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is disappointed. I was hoping for something a little more insightful than - a larger frontal area creates more resistance and slows you down. Although, I take consolation in knowing that areodynamics have very little effect when pushing or carrying a bike across a desolate moorland bog at 2.00am :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Clicked on his list of bikepacking and frame bag manufaturers; there are over 60 listed (including Wildcat) and a number more suggested in the comments. Wow! That's a lot more than I imagined.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Although, I take consolation in knowing that areodynamics have very little effect when pushing or carrying a bike across a desolate moorland bog at 2.00am :-bd
On the subject... I was asked recently how I got so good at pushing my bike. Answer was pretty easy: Bearbones events. :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

It's a good site isn't it?
I've always felt like a large handlebar bag slows me down massively (I'm guessing this is made worse because I'm fairly light so don't have much momentum).
Jan Haine suggests that a bar bag acts as a fairing although he's talking about the rando box type rather than the longer rolls like a sweetroll etc. I'm not sure, Jan is a man of proper scientific methods though I don't know if this came from on-road testing or wind tunnel data. Wouldn't care much tbh : ) If I did I'd use tri-bars .. and one aspect in isolation is different to how it works on the road. ie, yes very supple Compass/Panaracer tyres do roll very efficiently, but I lose far more time than they gain me by fixing the 2 flats a day I've had with them on a 4 day trip.

I can see some logic in saying that a bar roll of the right proportions might direct air more cleanly over the legs and body anyway. Yet the fast road event riders (Like Kristof Allegaert) use a seat pack, frame bag but no bar roll. Fair to say that I've never seen a rider with 4 panniers going very fast, so must be true, right?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fair to say that I've never seen a rider with 4 panniers going very fast, so must be true, right?
I once saw a rider thus equipped dropping off the top of the mountain road towards Machynlleth. They were going very fast, however the look of horror displayed across their face and the dragging feet seemed to indicate this high speed wasn't purely intentional or indeed welcome. I'm sure a lighter bike might have been easier to stop :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

'going very fast' :grin: . Last heard of being arrested for ram-raiding Mach Co-op claiming they started slowing down at Forge but still couldn't stop in time.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

Stuart and Reg - :lol: