buffalo alternatives

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

buffalo alternatives

Post by techno »

I'm looking for suggestions for an alternative to a buffalo teclite shirt, bit too spendy for me (typically tight yorkshireman :-bd ).

I've used a buffalo mountain shirt a lot in the past but am after something a bit lighter on insulation.

I have tried an army surplus PCS smock, sizing was weird. perfct fit on the chest with really short sleeves and body.

Thanks.
Ben98

Re: buffalo alternatives

Post by Ben98 »

The only alternative I've found is the Keela made army issue smock, which may well be the one you've tried. Other than that I've looked everywhere for an alternative and found nothing affordable :cry: .
techno

Post by techno »

Ben98 wrote:The only alternative I've found is the Keela made army issue smock, which may well be the one you've tried. Other than that I've looked everywhere for an alternative and found nothing affordable :cry: .
the keela is a new one to me, this is the one i tried:
https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop ... 59173.html
very cheap but fit wasn't right for me.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I still use Buffalo that I've had for years and years - I know the initial outlay is £££ but you do get the wear out them
Do Montane do an equivalent? I quite like their stuff too
2924 miles per Gallon
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I have 2 Buffalo mountain shirts, both over 20 years old, still in regular use. Go for it, you wont regret the ££
Sarah
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Montane do the 'Extreme' smock / jacket which is very similar to a Buffalo - mine's years old and still fine. They also did a much lighter pertex / pile shirt the name of which I can't remember, however I think it's an item no longer produced.

I recall a company called 'Mardale' used to make lighter weight Pertex / pile jackets.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Rab vapour rise works on the same principal, just has a much lighter micro pile inner. Can usually be found discounted in go outdoors and online!
techno

Post by techno »

thanks for all the replies!
I'll look into the suggestions but have a feeling i'll be keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand buffalo on ebay or somewhere.
Steezysix wrote:Rab vapour rise works on the same principal, just has a much lighter micro pile inner. Can usually be found discounted in go outdoors and online!
does one of these cope with being saturated as well as a buffalo?
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I've got the heavier, Alpine version, it's OK in the wet (I use mine commuting in winter) but the ones with the lighter face fabric will dry out quicker.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

techno mail wrote:
Ben98 wrote:The only alternative I've found is the Keela made army issue smock, which may well be the one you've tried. Other than that I've looked everywhere for an alternative and found nothing affordable :cry: .
the keela is a new one to me, this is the one i tried:
https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop ... 59173.html
very cheap but fit wasn't right for me.
That is the Keela one, it just doesn't say keela on it :-P
I understand what you mean about the fit but i'm getting used to it, everyone's different though.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

There are two Buffalo cycle shirts currently on eBay...
techno

Post by techno »

Ben98 wrote:That is the Keela one, it just doesn't say keela on it :-P
I understand what you mean about the fit but i'm getting used to it, everyone's different though.
I'll maybe try an XL or XXL if i can hit a surplus shop that stocks them some time.
My arms are pretty long It and the Large one I got was comically short in the sleeves.
techno

Post by techno »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:There are two Buffalo cycle shirts currently on eBay...
Yeah, spotted them but I think they're made with the heavier pile lining (like the mountian shirt)
Fat tyre kicker

Yes they are, I have one in Red & black,it's got to be chilly to wear it, I've used
Buffalo gear for over 30 years, i use the Tecmax pants and find the pile/weight great,
I've yet to get a Tecmax jacket, I use a Paramo windproof with a merino top under or a
Paramo waterproof with a high wicking tee.
techno

Post by techno »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:I use a Paramo windproof with a merino top under or a
Paramo waterproof with a high wicking tee.
this is my other possible solution, but I like the side venting on the buffalo as I "run hot" (i.e. I'm a sweaty bugger).
How do you find the paramo + merino for temperature control + how does it do in a real downpour?
Fat tyre kicker

The Paramo windproof ( Fuera) would benefit from side zips however the front
Zip does drop low and the cuffs roll up and Velcro easily, it's also showerproof,
Not sure if when reproofed that could be made better with a waterproof coating,
My waterproof smock ( old style Aspira) is pretty bombproof, very versatile, you
Don't feel wet in downpours, from either rain or sweat ( I'm a sweaty bleeder too)
But would be warm if we get a summer :smile: . I bought them both secondhand,
One here and one from eBay, both great jackets, the Fuera rolls up small too.
To complete the package I purchased a new Paramo Torres gilet which is most
Excellent, semi waterproof and insulating,I also got the 'sleeves' that go with it
To turn it into a full coat which are a great source of amusement to my teenagers :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

the teclite shirt is lighter than the full mountain shirt. I have a mountain shirt but haven't worn it in years, can't remember the last time I wore it in fact. I run quite warm and it's a very warm top. Will be taking it to Lapland this xmas

The teclite is lighter (I don't have one) but the other issue with buffalo is the cut is quite boxy, a bit like paramo

Personally I'd recommend something from Rab's vapour rise range. Similar concept (pile/pertex family of softshells) but they have more options for you to choose from including ones with a less windproof shell (which is therefore more breathable). I have a Rab VR Alpine Lite and it is an excellent biking top for anything cold to cool. When it warms up (into the teens) it's too hot to wear so I switch to a non-membrane softshell

Rab stuff has nice long arms which at 6'3 is a real blessing!
Fat tyre kicker

I like Rab stuff but for me I find Paramo a better fit as I find Rabs biggest size
Isn't quite big enough To fit comfy, maybe my fatfighters journey will change thar somewhat....
techno

Post by techno »

lots of good suggestions flying about, thanks everybody, looks like i'll be keeping an eye on ebay for a 2nd hand buffalo teclite,
There doesn't seem to be anything on the market that ticks all the boxes:

1 fit and forget
2 lots of ventilation
3 relatively low insulation level

I'll will go and try on the paramo and rab vapour rise suggestions when I can too, then i can look for 2nd hand options from them too.