Help a Newbie!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Waldo

Help a Newbie!

Post by Waldo »

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I've been in the market for a new bike lately and in my searching have discovered the world of bikepacking, and I'm very enticed!

So I was planning to buy an adventure/gravel bike as this would work well as my everday commuter and allow for a bit of versatility for the longer trips for holidays. Specifically I've been looking a the Specialized Diverge and Genesis Cda 10.

But the more I've looked into it it seems that hardtail MTB's are the common way to go. So I guess I'm looking for some advice as to whether I'm being daft looking at adventure bikes.

For context, I'm planning to do this Cairngorms loop ride over easter (http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/cairngorms-loop/) and then a longer ride in the summer hopefully in Europe where I'll cover a larger distance on relatively smooth terrain.

Any bike recommendations (ideally £600 max) or general tips for someone who is just getting into bikepacking would be massively appreciated.

Cheers!
Pete
ScotRoutes

Re: Help a Newbie!

Post by ScotRoutes »

You'll not be doing that route on an Adventure bike. You'll want a set of flat/riser bars and probably front suspension.

Easter isn't that far away so you can expect snow and ice at higher (and possibly lower) levels, or a significant amount of meltwater which could make river crossings impossible.

Finally, it's a massive route to use as your first big outing. Plan something simpler, with bale-out options, before committing to this.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you considered some kind of 29er? Something that will accept decent mountain bike tyres and also let you fit cross tyres or similar for more road type stuff?

Given your budget, I'd avoid suspension forks as they'll be heavy, non-too good and won't last very long. Something rigid like this 'ere Pinnacle Ramin 1 would do the trick and at £575 it's very good value. Also has clearance for proper B+ should you wish to dabble at some point.

May the bridges you burn light your way
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Have you considered some kind of 29er? Something that will accept decent mountain bike tyres and also let you fit cross tyres or similar for more road type stuff?

Given your budget, I'd avoid suspension forks as they'll be heavy, non-too good and won't last very long. Something rigid like this 'ere Pinnacle Ramin 1 would do the trick and at £575 it's very good value. Also has clearance for proper B+ should you wish to dabble at some point.
Isn't there something almost exactly like this in the classifieds?!
Javi

Post by Javi »

Check out the Trek Superfly 29" 2013 Aluminium frame £650 size 19" large
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Superfly ... SwdGFYvdGE
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Isn't there something almost exactly like this in the classifieds?!
Similar but that's a Ramin B+, so comes with Scraper rims, big tyres and a higher spec drivetrain, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I think a 29er/650b+ mtb is probably more of a versatile choice. Especially at the £600 price point. Rigid forks are best for bikepacking-especially so if the bike is going to be your every day bike.
Grubby little urchin.