Spot gen 2 advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianpv

Spot gen 2 advice

Post by ianpv »

I was going to rent a gen 3 spot for the CL and HT550 this year, but I could buy an apparently unused, but technically 2nd hand, gen 2 for less money.

I'd still have to get a service plan but I think that is possible according to the very cryptic email from Spot - does anyone have any advice about setting up second hand spots, and is the gen 2 'good enough' for tracking purposes, or is the gen 3 much better?

Any advice appreciated!

Ian
whitestone

Re: Spot gen 2 advice

Post by whitestone »

I bought a Gen 2 from the Classifieds on here.

You'll need the service plan - that's how SPOT make their money :smile: Setting up the account was easy - just follow the steps on the website. I assume the previous owner deregistered it so there's no conflict.

I think the gen 2 is good enough but don't have a gen 3 to compare. You need to reset the Gen 2 each day by switching off and back on, I don't know the technical reasons behind this.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

As bob said gen 2 is fine.

Gen 3 has better battery life and can adjust tracking intervals. There's more (expensive) options available on tracking service plans too.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

thanks Bob and Ian. Having to sign up for a 12 month contract is a bit of a pain though - It thought it may be more of a month by month thing but as far as I can tell, it's a contract! I'm just not going to do enough events to make that look a good deal... and my wife doesn't care where I am :sad: :lol:

Not quite sure what to do...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's a 12 month contract and they auto-renew it so put a reminder in your calendar if you don't want that to happen.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'd just rent the Gen 3. 12 month plan is £130 from memory (pre brexit)

EDIT - 110 Euro
barney

Post by barney »

I bought a Spot 2 off Ian (Fitz), signed up for the contract and am really happy with it. Set up lots of different profiles depending on what I'm doing... including my midweek social ride "what pub am I in" message to Mrs Barney, might as well make the most of the contract! :lol:

Only pain is that I don't have a bike mount but I've managed to bodge something together with zipties.
Wait for me...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

barney wrote: Only pain is that I don't have a bike mount but I've managed to bodge something together with zipties.
The one that came with was rubbish and broke which is why it wasn't included in the sale :wink:

One slight advantage of the 3 is it has a good Velcro strap which makes it easier to attach places.

Hardly the a deal breaker though
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

whitestone wrote:It's a 12 month contract and they auto-renew it so put a reminder in your calendar if you don't want that to happen.
Yes, and good luck finding out how to cancel it. I couldn't find an obvious way, then forgot, then they took the money, then I asked for my money back. No reply, 3 weeks later, I heard back, they said they'd refund, but as it is in Euros, and between it renewing and my refund, the brexit vote happened, I lost out quite a bit. They refused the refund the GBP amount, citing that the exchange rate was not their problem.

Sh!theads.