01/07/2017 75kg NHS BMI - 21.2
Richard G

Re: BareBones Fatfighters - The weigh in

Post by Richard G »

:-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

69.2kg this morning, which isn't much of a drop since last week, but riding opportunities have been nonexistent for various reasons. Belly measurement 81cm, and thigh 51cm.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm down to a 29" (73cm) waist. I think the last time I was this skinny was when I ran out of money / food in university (like, 15 years ago).
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've not posted on this thread until now. I'm volunteering as a guineapig in a study looking at adaptation to heat in cyclists. Had a body composition analysis as part of the baseline testing.

It suggests I've got far more body fat than I'd have guessed over 20%! Need to think about how much of it to try to get rid of. But there some to lose for sure.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Depends how your bf is measured. If it was with a dexa scan thing for the tests it includes all body fat, intramuscular, around organs, the lot not just visceral fat, so is lots higher than skin fold tests etc.

I'd like to be 20% by any method :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ianfitz wrote:It suggests I've got far more body fat than I'd have guessed over 20%! Need to think about how much of it to try to get rid of. But there some to lose for sure.
You sure as hell didn't look like 20% last time I saw you. Even on a DEXA I wouldn't have expected it to be that high for you.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There can be an awful lot of fat you can't see though Richard.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sure, but it's unusual for it to be that out of balance. I've had a couple of DEXA scans and both of them came out pretty much where I'd expect them to based on the mirror / other measurements. If anything they're usually a little on the low side.

Here's an interesting vid on it (From a bodybuilding perspective, warning, half naked men!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrllUxAr1_g

Edit - Of course, and I'll make this clear right now, I never got to see Ian naked. :lol:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

236.8 today, 4lb down over all :cool:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Slight change in tact this week, have been following Wifeys S/world meal plan,
But still cutting out most carbs, still no bread/rice/spuds etc, I've ate a little more
Fruit and have prepared 'overnight oats' for breakfast, probably a bigger factor
Is the zero amount of alcohol, I had a few squares of 85 percent choc on Saturday
Night. No ride this week as I've been limping with a fused ankle ( I have a cartridge
Spur on my heel) and my free day was spent hauling paving flags so still exercise.
Anyway, the outcome is;
18.05/1 stones, so down by approx 3 lbs :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Gairy Mannion - Target weight: 90kg (and eventually lower)

Start weight -01-01-2017:

110kg

09-01-2017:

108.9kg

16-01-2017:

107.8kg

23-01-2017:

107.2kg

Continuing the trend, can't complain.

Unsure what the next weigh-in will bring as I've got a long weekend of fatbiking and likely a fair bit of beer consumption ahead of me so we'll have to wait and see.....

Edit: Just converted into old/silly money and realised that I've gone from 17st 8lb (I was 112kg the week before Christmas) to 16st 11lb todday so definitely no complaints!
Last edited by gairym on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richard G wrote:
ianfitz wrote:It suggests I've got far more body fat than I'd have guessed over 20%! Need to think about how much of it to try to get rid of. But there some to lose for sure.
You sure as hell didn't look like 20% last time I saw you. Even on a DEXA I wouldn't have expected it to be that high for you.
I have a very small frame. Im 174cm/5'8, when I was 20 and a good climber I was at 52kg (8st 4) and 4% (measured by skin calipers during some research) granted I had pencil legs then as did no walking/running/riding. But just after this Xmas was 69kg. There's no way that I have gained 17kg in leg muscle, also I have lost some upper body muscle mass over the years too.

Back then I was 27 (!) inch waist and now 30. Looking at the thickness of skin I can pinch say on my calf, inner thigh etc there's a good deal there. Also looking at the body fat percentage example images I can believe my current reading is there or thereabouts. Albeit with the caveat about the variation in measuring methods.

Anyway, I've got some to lose...
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

godivatrailrider wrote:
godivatrailrider wrote:
godivatrailrider wrote:Martin
01/01/17
Initial Goal ? anything starting with 15st would be good...... 14st something would be vaguely exciting

17st 6.8lb :???:
17th Jan - 17.3.4 (was 17.6.0 on 16th)
23rd Jan - 17.2.6

going to reweigh tomorrow out of interest, see if there is a pattern.

76 miles on the bike in the week, not stunning by many of your standards but it's good for me, in January.
Working on smaller portions too :)

Not got big expectations this week as it's my 50th on Wednesday ... it's not going to be easy sticking to the plan :/
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest, is anyone keeping a food diary / log? It can be very easy to think you're eating less than you actually are.
godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Out of interest, is anyone keeping a food diary / log? It can be very easy to think you're eating less than you actually are.
I use My Fitness Pal from time to time, but as I eat similar stuff most days, once you logged for a couple of days you become more aware of whats going in ...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Honestly, if it wasn't for tracking stuff I'd never be able to keep the weight off. Often I've written it down / logged it only to find that I'm already well over my target.

If nothing else, it's worth doing for a few weeks to see where you keep screwing up.
gypsumfantastic

Post by gypsumfantastic »

Richard G wrote: :-bd
Cheers Richard, can't complain about the trend
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Out of interest, is anyone keeping a food diary / log? It can be very easy to think you're eating less than you actually are.
True, I'm following the addage "If i don't put it in my gob it wont end up on my gut!". Might have to up the grub when I start riding a bit more but happy with things the way they are at the moment.
godivatrailrider

It's brilliant if you're eating processed food , but when you cook your own it gets quite complex. Worth doing though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When I mentioned food diary, I wasn't really meaning as a way to count calories. More of a way to help see exactly what you're eating with regard to carbs, protein, fat, etc. There's a lot of 'hidden' carbs out there and it's easy to eat more than you believe.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

If you're doing one you're automatically doing the other pretty much.

9kcal per gram of fat
7kcal per gram of alcohol
4kcal per gram of carbohydrate
4kcal per gram of protein

(give or take, plus ignoring thermic effect of food / individual gut microbiomes)
gypsumfantastic

Post by gypsumfantastic »

Richard G wrote: 7kcal per gram of alcohol
4kcal per gram of carbohydrate
Genuine question - why is alcohol different to carbohydrate, alcohol is a carbohydrate isn't it? (c2h5OH iirc)

Edit: Calorific density?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Last time I looked, it had something to do with specific bonds... but that was a loooong time ago.

Edit - Here you go.
On average, one carbon in glucose has a bit more than 1 hydrogen and a bit less than 0.5 carbon bonds (which are energetically useful) and one oxygen bond (which is energetically spent).

In ethanol (C2H5OH) there is an average of 2.5 hydrogen and 0.5 carbon bond per carbon atom. There are a lot more useful bonds in 2 ethanol molecules than one glucose molecule (from which yeast gives us 2 ethanol).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're doing one you're automatically doing the other pretty much.
Very true Richard but I was implying that calories aren't just calories and the effect they have will depend on where they come from*.

*other opinions are available.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Loooooot of debate on that one. Best left alone methinks. :-bd