Brutal Off-Road Climbs - South / Mid Wales

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Brutal Off-Road Climbs - South / Mid Wales

Post by Richard G »

I know it's a bit of a dirty word around here, but I need some particularly tough off-road climbs for training purposes. If it helps, you can pretend I'm having fun whilst I'll be doing them. :lol:

Finding on-road stuff has been easy, obviously due to the roadies obsession with self inflicted pain. But generally for mountain bikers, the hills are a means to an end, so they're not exactly celebrated (aside from the particularly technical challenges). Ideally I'm looking for stuff that's as long as possible, and not crazy technical. I'm thinking sections like the Brinore Tramroad... little bit rocky / rough, but generally a solid 30m+ to normal human beings. Buster's Beast comes to mind too, although obviously that one is half tarmac, half fairly smooth track.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
HaYWiRe

Re: Brutal Off-Road Climbs - South / Mid Wales

Post by HaYWiRe »

Hills you say? Just head to brecon, pull out your compass, pick a direction and ride! I'm sure the vertical miles will soon add up!

Or if you want something more rideable and less tussock the neath valley I'm based in has vast complexes of fire/forrest roads linking the whole valley most of which involve long, windy climbs up the valley sides. These were left over from felling operations and are wide, rocky and long.

If you head over the roads* up from cwmgrach/Resolven you can get to the top skyline trail at glynncorrwg giving you some fantastic single-track. The afan side of the valley has plenty of roads* to climb too, more for the long, steady, slog type but it's where I get my endurance from.

*not for the skinny tyred, use of the term "road" is very broadly speaking
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Welsh were always good at building roads that just went straight up rather than contouring, so we're not blessed with too many long off-road climbs that are actually climbable.

The pony path up Cader Idris would be worth a look, although it's a good way north for you. If you'd settle for fire road, I could do you a 'nice' loop in Hafren that'll see you going up hill for a few hours.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you don't want them to be too technical, is there a particular reason you want them off road? (Apart from maybe the lack of cars)

I'm wondering if a long fire road climb is that different from a long road climb on a very quiet welsh lane
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cars in part, as I'll be carrying a massive amount of weight and going very slowly indeed. I've also found that even a small bit of roughness to what you're riding on will take it out of you more than a glassy smooth road. Plus fire road is essentially what I'll be training to do in my event... so that sort of surface (and bumpier) is ideal for me.

Cader Idris is indeed a bit too far north unless I'm in the area for a few days, which is a possibility as I'm up there in March. Local is better as if I'm going to spend hours travelling then I'd probably just be better spending that time training directly as I'd get a better result that way.

Afan is good for it, yes. I'd forgotten about that. You can even include some of the "Britains Best" road climbs at the same time. Did some of that on a route called Afan Avenger.
psling

Post by psling »

Whereabouts in South Wales are you, there are some good fireroad climbs in the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean easily accessed from Monmouth.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Monmouth is in range. I used to work in Coleford in the FoD.

Any in particular?
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Whole bunch of stuff in and around Cardiff that would fit the bill as it can all be looped so up-down-up-down-up-down etc and it all adds up.

Cardiff is surrounded by a ridge of mountains that can be traversed with loads and loads of off road options.

need me to point you in the right direction?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The problem isn't the quantity or severity so much as the length. I need to be climbing for at least 30 minutes (without a descent break), and there's only so much weight I can add to the bike before it becomes basically un-rideable (or I break it!).

If there are any which fit the bill then I'd love to know about them. I've been up and down and all over nearby though and I can't really think of any that are long enough to work.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Some good stuff in the Black Mountains:
Mynydd Du forest - various options
Up Y Das - Talgarth side (some HAB)
Y Das from Gwyrne Fawr res - 25 mins of technical climbing. If you can clear it without dabbing I'll buy you a pint.
The alternative route to the top of Rhiw Trumau to spot height 617m (from Cwm Du village, or thereabouts)
Opposite side of that saddle from SE side. Tough slog on steep grass - 30 mins.
Cockit Hill on Mynydd Llangorse. If you can get to the top bit by the step without dabbing or resting I'll buy you another pint.

Those are straight off the top of my head, I'll likely be able to think of more.

5 mile climb in Talybont is a good 30 mins loaded. You don't need things to be that steep - you'll just end up straining something :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Alternatively, you could come for a ride with me on the singlespeed :wink:
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

The Black Mountains (as Ian just said!)
https://www.strava.com/segments/675334
A bit tougher than the Brinmore Tramroad but all rideable. If you start at Crickhowell you get a nice warm up on tarmac. Carry on up the ridge to Waun Fach if you fancy 200m more climbing with some hike-a-bike.
Ian

Post by Ian »

AlanG wrote:Carry on up the ridge to Waun Fach if you fancy 200m more climbing with some hike-a-bike.
A very fine suggestion :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Actually, Alan's suggestion got me thinking - why not just ride Gospel Pass loaded*?

*I know it's on the road but a ride over and back should provide a decent workout.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Gospel pass is actually on my list. I found that once by accident and REALLY didn't enjoy the experience. lol

Black Mountain is also there, though not the hike a bike bit!

Will have a look at those other suggestions a bit later. Cheers. :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Have you considered Everesting?
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

If your looking for climbs close to home there's a load between Goytre, Margam and Bryn. Especially climbing up out the back of Margam park towards Goytre reservoir and also up the side of the res. If you want long there's a segment "5 mile climb" around that area too.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ian wrote:Cockit Hill on Mynydd Llangorse. If you can get to the top bit by the step without dabbing or resting I'll buy you another pint.
Definitely can't... yet. Maybe I should try again in July and take the race beast. :lol:

On five mile climb, I did that in 30 mins fully loaded (~20kg bike weight) on the fourth day of a ride, without really pushing hard. I don't think it's going to cut it. Well, not without a chunk more weight anyway.
Ian wrote:Alternatively, you could come for a ride with me on the singlespeed :wink:
The plan would be to actually survive the rides. :shock:
Ian wrote:Have you considered Everesting?
As brutal as that is, it's not really going to work for what I'm training for. I need to know I can survive an essentially non stop hill for as long as humanly possible. Ideally an hour of constant output, but there's nothing that's going to come close in range of me... not even with an insanely heavy bike.

Edit - I just found this ridiculous looking thing. Needless to say I wouldn't be attempting it with weight on the bike: http://veloviewer.com/segments/1047725 :oops:
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

So out of interest, from the 617m spot height, what's the track over Pen Twyn Glas -> Pen Allt-Mawr -> Pen Cerrig-Calch like? Rideable? Frowned upon by red socks?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

MarkW wrote:If your looking for climbs close to home there's a load between Goytre, Margam and Bryn. Especially climbing up out the back of Margam park towards Goytre reservoir and also up the side of the res. If you want long there's a segment "5 mile climb" around that area too.
Found some good stuff around there, cheers. Couldn't find that 5 mile climb segment though.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Richard G wrote: I just found this ridiculous looking thing. Needless to say I wouldn't be attempting it with weight on the bike: http://veloviewer.com/segments/1047725 :oops:
There's a nice horseshoe ride/walk there that I've yet to do. And Grwyne Fawr bothy in the valley the other side
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

This one looks easy but there's some testing stuff on it, you're unlikely to meet any cars on the road section .... https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18569443
Ian

Post by Ian »

That "ridiculous looking thing" is Rhiw Trumau. Definitely a downhill trail :cool:

I have to ask, what are you training for? A hernia? :lol:
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

DoctorRad wrote:So out of interest, from the 617m spot height, what's the track over Pen Twyn Glas -> Pen Allt-Mawr -> Pen Cerrig-Calch like? Rideable? Frowned upon by red socks?
DoctorRad, the route you describe is fantastic and mostly rideable apart from a few short steep sections. It’s the ridge you see in the background of Ian’s picture. I do it as part of a Black Mountains “Horseshoe” from Crickhowell in a clockwise direction. A proper big mountain route with stunning views.
In the last couple of years a trail has been built across the boggy areas either side of Waun Fach making it a lot easier.
I’ve never had any negative comments from the few walkers I’ve met up there.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ian wrote:That "ridiculous looking thing" is Rhiw Trumau. Definitely a downhill trail :cool:

I have to ask, what are you training for? A hernia? :lol:
This...

Obviously I can't train the altitude... but I can train the pain as much as possible.