Nice gear you don't use?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Nice gear you don't use?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone other than me got nice gear that that don't often use? It's certainly not because the stuff doesn't work, more because it was expensive and I'm wary of damaging / breaking or wearing it out - cheap items, I have no issue with and find it much easier to view them as a tool to do a job.

... or once again, just me?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Nice gear you don't use?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Me. Me. Me.

For example: 2 lovely down sleeping bags that I worried about getting dirty, having to wash and then losing performance so they weren't getting used at all.

I've talked myself down a bit....
Gari

Post by Gari »

No, me too. I have a few items, for example a really nice Patagonia down jacket that doesn't get used much as I/it doesn't get cold enough here!!! Maybe 4 days wear in the last few winters.
I'm hoping for a cold "winter bivi" next weekend.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have some different kit for different purposes, so it all gets used but I put stuff in the keep nice pile which has different purposes to the biking pile

My biking gear is far more likely to get muddy/dirty than my walking gear. So jackets (hard and soft shells) tend to be more specific for the activity. Same for bottom half, though that's more MTB vs road/commute. Baselayers etc get used

All my sleep/bivy/camp kit tends to get used but, again, I have so much of it that a fair chunk hasn't been used in a while. Can't think of anything TOO nice, lots of nice things that once they get a 'patina' on them endear me more towards it strangely
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've stuff that is very conditions specific (like really really cold) that doesn't get used much. Much of this is a hangover from my climbing days. Much of what was considered state of the art lightweight twenty years ago just doesn't compare to modern stuff but it still works and usage is so low that I can't justify (even to myself) replacing/updating it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Hmmm, hard one. I have a chunk of nice gear in very good condition but not for lack of use - I take care of it, but I treat it like an expensive tool, used at time it's needed. But, I've also some kit that has not reached it's cost per-use threshold for me to be happy - which is under 10p in my house. Example being PHD K-Lite down vest which I really don't want to ride in on cold days in case I bin myself and shred it.

But, I've also had really nice kit that I've bought, not used enough, then sold on because of that. This I try to reduce consumption of new kit by using kit from other "sports" across their not intended for use. I try to no longer have cycling kit (let alone road/MTB/commute kit) or climbing kit, or work clothes. They all sort of mash together and get used when they are appropriate.

As for bike bits....I've never thought as them as more than tools. Worst case example killing a brand new set of Fox forks after one quite muddy 24 hour race and a few hefty crashes on gritstone. They are there to let me ride, I'm not going to babysit it. Case in point I've not actually cleaned my Cutthroat since the Divde...and it went on the Torino Nice with Tom... and the BB200 (or some of) this year. Bikes are tools.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Montbell EX Light Down Anorak. This lovely jumper weighs nothing and is warm like... well... snug as a bug in a rug... Even in wind, staring at the northern lights at -4 °C. I got it for it's stunning performance at that's the only time I'll take it along. When I'm counting grams for a good reason. So I use it, but it kind of hurts. I need to get over this sh#@*?t.

It just fabrics and stuff. We may give it soul by what we do when we use our gear. But if you don't use it... sell it, give it away on the next trip when you meet someone in true need etc.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Yup, I have stuff I keep for special.... God knows when that is. I'll usually pull out a manky 10 yo t-shirt than a new one...

I got a new sleeping bag before my recent inner CL trip. Only the fact that no way was my other bag going to pack small enough induced me to take it. I bought it specifically for bikepacking too.... :roll:

There surely must be something I can take for this condition?
Give the dirt a little room.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Given the content of this thread, surely you would save taking it for when you REALLY need it :grin: :roll:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Yes, I also suffer from this and need to get over it as I have loads of oldish kit in good nick, but technologically dated, that I should have used more when it was cutting edge. Classic example are my 26" Enve carbon wheels that I saved for 'race day' and they are now never used and (relatively) worthless!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

When I used to climb I had a set of friends that were so lovely and shiny and new I could never face placing them. So didn't.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

For general stuff not getting used....ive got 2 sleeping bags, a tent, tarps, hammocks and various cooking setups that have been gathering dust for over a year! I'm considering putting together a loaner kit for family out of one of my many many backpacks (35)

Its really getting to me seeing stuff not getting use, very much against this minimalist mindset I'm developing.
Ive already donated some stuff to a local DOE charity....maybe I need to put together another lot.

As for expensive kit not getting use, I used to be bad for that. Most of my stuff is quite budget that when I get something fancy I get over precious over it. Now I just realise its more wasteful to keep it sitting pretty than to actually use it as intended.

Though...i do quite love some of my cheaper basic kit over the fancier stuff. My alpkit gourdon gets far more use than my osprey packs, I prefer my synthetic Craghopper jacket to any down filled one ive had and so on. Sometimes simple kit is better than complicated, albeit lighter and fancier kit.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Got a cellar full of wine too good to drink... does that count?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Quite the opposite here, tend to use kit w/o enough care at times. Got over sus forks after scraping another stanchion on another near new set, even at trade price cba with that level of cost vs ease of wrecking. Shredded a 7mesh jacket this summer, ah well. Gutted at the time but it's a likely result eventually, was an amazing jacket to use so fair risk. My Jones has large areas of paint rubbed to the metal, covered with humbrol. XTR crank scraped up nicely on second ride recently. I like scruffy patina and battle scars on kit : ) 'the first cut is the deepest' .. after that who cares. The ones that annoy me are the dumb tired mistakes, like melting jacket sleeve on a hot stove in the dark. Just part of the risk of real use I guess, makes me question nice kit acquisitions, that's no bad thing.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

GregMay wrote:But, I've also some kit that has not reached it's cost per-use threshold for me to be happy - which is under 10p in my house. Example being PHD K-Lite down vest which I really don't want to ride in on cold days in case I bin myself and shred

I think my single track trousers have probably reached less than that... maybe even a fraction of a penny. One zippers not working and the belt buckle thingy is a little naffed now. Probably had over 6 years and wear them at least 4 days of the week :???: ensures that I'm always thinkg about the bike and thus get on it as soon as I have a few mins.

My PHD sleeping bag. Probably didn't get used much before it came to me. Bought it off IanFitz off here and used it for touring 3 days. But in the last couple of months I've probably slept in it on the floor at least 2 to 3 days of the week. I do worry that it'll wear out though but it really is amazing. Thinking about getting a jacket from their sale (already made and lying around so you can have it for a few quid) section.

BTW. I'm a medium in Mountain Equipment jackets and a large in Lowe Alpine. What size PHD (down jacket) should I be looking out for?!?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm a medium in Mountain Equipment jackets and a large in Lowe Alpine. What size PHD (down jacket) should I be looking out for?!?
I find they come up big. I'm generally on the small size end of medium and my small phd vest is very roomy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
atk

Post by atk »

I have a nice carbon CX fork that on paper is great, and rides well but looks really ugly on the bike. Currently sat in a box.

I have a few other things that work very well but were bought on numbers (pack size, weight, warmth etc.). I've not used as much as I should and am now in the process of getting rid of these and sticking with the stuff I grab every day for pretty much any activity.
chris n

Post by chris n »

All of my gear is nice but very little of it actually gets used. :oops:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I have more hammocks than days of the week but haven't used them all. I even have a couple of UQs that I haven't used yet.
When I used to climb I had a set of friends that were so lovely and shiny and new I could never face placing them. So didn't.
I know the feeling. New climbing hardware is lovely and shiny and smooth and gawjus. Generally got over it as the fear took hold once off the deck - you can't have too much pro' :wink: I really was a sh1t climber :lol:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

jameso wrote: 'the first cut is the deepest' .. after that who cares.
I have a mate who takes his brand new bikes and chucks them in a bush to scratch them up, after that he says he's not fussed about scratching it so he can ride harder!
Gari

Post by Gari »

Whenever I got a new kayak I would unwrap it and then skid it across the car park or whatever to get it out of the way, including carbon/Kevlar surf kayaks!!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:I have more hammocks than days of the week but haven't used them all. I even have a couple of UQs that I haven't used yet.
I know the feeling. New climbing hardware is lovely and shiny and smooth and gawjus. Generally got over it as the fear took hold once off the deck - you can't have too much pro' :wink: I really was a sh1t climber :lol:
I was shitter. My second hardly ever had to remove anything, it mostly fell down the rope after me
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Gari wrote:Whenever I got a new kayak I would unwrap it and then skid it across the car park or whatever to get it out of the way, including carbon/Kevlar surf kayaks!!
We used to have a tradition in the club I boated with. If you turned up with a new unpaddled/scratched boat - it'd be taken away from you and returned with scratches after it'd been flung down the weir.

People learned to turn up with boats that had been paddled and scratched by themselves. Especially the polo players.

My worst memory was turning up with the new Dagger demo fleet (used to work in the industry) to the club house, to then be pinned down and watch as every boat was chucked down the weir. Oh how they laughed. Gits.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

jameso

Post by jameso »

26" Enve carbon wheels that I saved for 'race day' and they are now never used and (relatively) worthless!
With some drops, a set of Compass Rat Trap Pass tyres and the right frame set you could have an amazing 'TNR' bike..