Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Best/modt economical/robust dynamo hub

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title. What are BBs using??
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Best/modt economical/robust dynamo hub

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

6 bolt Shimano for me. Very much liking them so far, not as sexy looking as some but great VFM and seem to be robust ... seemingly, very limited stocks in the UK though but plentiful in the EU.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

SP and SON, both 15mm axle.

I liked the idea of self sufficient energy generation when 'off the grid', but frankly I am massively underwhelmed by the whole dynamo thing and think they have very little utility; the illumination produced (using a KLite) is sufficient for road riding but not off road descents, and definitely not slow, techy single track. It takes forever to charge anything at off-road average speeds, and frankly why bother when you can carry a lot of AA batteries for the extra weight of all the dynamo bits, and never have to worry about the extra drag or the electrics (or bearings) failing.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I liked the idea of self sufficient energy generation when 'off the grid', but frankly I am massively underwhelmed by the whole dynamo thing and think they have very little utility; the illumination produced (using a KLite) is sufficient for road riding but not off road descents, and definitely not slow, techy single track. It takes forever to charge anything at off-road average speeds, and frankly why bother when you can carry a lot of AA batteries for the extra weight of all the dynamo bits, and never have to worry about the extra drag or the electrics (or bearings) failing.
All that ^ up there, is actually true in the main. However, it doesn't allow for the 'fiddle factor' ... trouble is, not everyone enjoys the tinkering aspect but if you do, then it's probably still a path worth travelling. If you don't have the time or inclination, batteries are good idea. :wink:
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I'd agree with most of the above, although I find a revo perfectly adequate for 99% of off road riding, especially if paired with a helmet light for twisty trails. I really like the fact I don't have to faff about charging lights, or worry about conserving battery life in my lights. I'd agree that anAA powered GPS is better for off road routes as you don't have to worry about whether you can get enough power into a battery at slow speeds.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Don't the more modern revos have a cache battery of sorts that makes them a bit more useful on slower descents with dynamos?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

My KLite has a bit of a cache, but I still wouldn't plan on using it on anything worse than gravel/jeep trails without an additional head torch.

That said, I do pedal real slow; if you are a racing snake you might get a bit more electrickery out of it!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not a battery inside but a capacitor for supplying power for the standlight.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

To be honest I find the light soon brightens up again as you start to descend even after a reasonable climb. A helmet mounted light obviously helps out here in terms of filling the small time gap what that is happening. Hub wise I have found the SON hubs more reliable (although I haven't put as many miles on this yet). My SP hub has to be replaced with a reconditioned hub when it failed a few months out of warranty. There have also been several other failures mentioned on here.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

I've used SP dynamos on my road bikes for years, coupled with B+M IQ2 USB lights, and they've been absolutely brilliant — a lovely light to ride on the road with, and USB charging all day long.

For off-road then the much-lower speed really worries me — I don't have a dyno front wheel on my MTB, but I do have a spare SP-PV8 on the shelf, so I could lace one up if I thought it would be useful. This is one of those times when smaller wheels will give more power, because they spin quicker — long live the 26-inch ;)

As for the IQ2 — for off-road riding, the technically and legally correct horizontal cut-off for on-road riding would be less-than ideal for off-road. I don't have experience of any off-road-specific dynamo lights.

I need to ride a few more events before taking the plunge — until then, airplane mode on the phone and a couple of batteries for the GPS would appear to be the best compromise.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Schmidt SON on my commuter along with a B&M light, for commuting it really is a no brainer.

Off-road I think it depends on the route and its ratio of technical ground to faster terrain as well as the amount of night riding. I think I'd use one to charge a battery which could then be used to recharge GPS etc at night.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

FWIW, I wrote this post last year for audax-type riding — http://www.16inchwheels.uk/2016/04/11/p ... ong-rides/ — although it's only partly applicable to off-road. It needs a rewrite to include empirical data and more experiential information.

On WRT I set the my iPhone 5 to airplane mode for most of the weekend and still had 60% battery remaining at the end. I also used one-and-a-bit Jackery USB cache batteries for the Garmin — so I needed just two of the five that I took with me :roll: Jackery, like Ankher, use Panasonic cells, which are probably the best you can get.

The weight of a dynamo hub compared to a normal hub is about +200g. The weight of a dynamo light compared to a battery light is probably -200g. Therefore, weight should not be a determining factor if you know you're going to be doing some night riding. Cost, on the other hand, should be, so you should only invest in dynamo lighting if you're going to do a LOT of night riding. That's why my audax bikes have dynamo lighting, and my MTB does not.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I too, for most trips, don't see the benefit of a dyno hub.
I've one on my fatbike which I only use in winter (snow). It's a SON, charger from a kit provided by a german forum and the Supernova E3 pro 2 lamp. With this setup I get power at lowest of speeds and due to the short days in winter I use much more power (lights) than I would in summer season.

Before I went to Iceland I gave the dyno hub question another thought. I took my ssp bike I use on a daily basis and thought a dyno hub may come in handy there too. Well, I left with out one. I figured that I could go for about 1200 km self sufficient with a battery tank and what goes with it until I was at the same point of the dyno hub setup weight wise. From a riding point of view the hub is well felt when riding (not talking smooth stuff) with out luggage (that's where the daily basis comes in). The difference in practicality isn't an issue.
My Garmin, headlamp and phone were charged from a 10 k mAh tank which actually was a bit too much for my double traverse of Icelands interior. For the camera I took a spare battery, as it doesn't charge from USB. There's possibility to charge camera batteries from USB, but you need a special charger.

I've made good experience with solar panels on mountaineering expeditions, but even for long distance hiking I don't use panels as - just like it is with dyno hubs - I don't need enough power for my gadgets to justify one. 3 weeks without coming past a socket or other power source than the one carried have gone down well so far. Not just once.

Once you get to remote places where dyno hub or panel may get useful, you'll not be using you phone, which is the biggest power eater. If you'd like to read, get a kindle. They last for ever.

I don't see the issue of speed, there are low speed efficient chargers.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I came across this today which might be useful:

http://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-hub- ... b-testing/
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Dynamo hubs are needed for longer trips arent they? Much after 3 days you'll be running out of phone, garmin, usb light and big back up charger

Me and a mate struggled to keep stuff charged up on a 2 week jolly with a car without a 3 pin plug and paying for 'leccy. If you re really riding all day and wild camping you ve got few options...
Chew

Post by Chew »

ddraver wrote:Dynamo hubs are needed for longer trips arent they?
Nope

Unless you're riding a lot during the night, or feel the need to Tweet what you're doing every 5mins, you dont really need that much power.

For Torino-Nice we were away for 10 days, and We hardly used any power.
GPS that runs on AA's
Phone spent 99% of the time switched off
Torch for the couple of hours we rode in the dark
Camera for pictures
Small cache battery for emergency phone use
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

This thread has come along at a good time. I intend spending a couple of months riding the Divide later this summer and have been pondering a dynohub, I still can't make my mind up.
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you're going to be away for a few weeks and dont mind parting with the cash i'd get one (may do myself for this summers trip)

Just dont think that you need one

Depends on the style of your trip?
Racing - yes as its one less thing to think about
Bimbling - Just ask nicely at the next cafe and they'll probably let you plug it in while you have another coffee
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Well OK Chew, but if you have a garmin that doesnt take AA and ride with your phone on for whatever reason then that system falls down a bit

Buy a new garmin and new camera and you wont get many packs of batteries with the change from a dynamo hub wheel
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Got Dyno hubs on my road touring and bikepacking bikes as I use my phone for GPS so the battery runs down quick with the screen on. I like not having to worry about the next place I can charge it up, just leave the cache battery charging up while I'm riding and top up the phone overnight.
Also for commuting in the winter, dyno hub and lights is a must for me, never have to worry about whether my lights will die (and me, subsequently) on the way home.

Are they necessary, no, but it's one less thing to think about.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ddraver wrote:Well OK Chew, but if you have a garmin that doesnt take AA and ride with your phone on for whatever reason then that system falls down a bit

Buy a new garmin and new camera and you wont get many packs of batteries with the change from a dynamo hub wheel
I've a Garmin Edge 510 which has an in-built battery (I've since got an Oregon which takes AA batteries). On rides up to three days I take a single cell powerbank and simply connect it up using an appropriate USB lead. All that you need to know are the capacities of the batteries so you can make a reasonable guess as to how many charges you'll get from the powerbank.

I've also got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-20100 ... B01CHZMFUS which will do close to a fortnight of recharges. It's a bit of a brick though :roll:

Usually have the mobile turned off - if you are out of range of a signal the circuitry in a phone keeps increasing the power to try and find a signal so it's a double whammy: not only can't you make a call, your phone is using more power to do so!

My cameras need a serious amount of usage before they use up their battery - cold weather excepted.

All the above is not to say that I'd get a dynamo hub for off-road use :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

What a whole heap of info. Thanks guys and sorry for my ignorance on all things dynamo.

So I will be using initially (god willing)for this years Rapha500 as I plan to make a little adventure out of it all. Maybe 100-110 miles per day (all road off course) for 3 days. I do have my powerbank which is 20000mah but it'll probably only last me around a day and a bit worth of charging (front and rear lights/phone/garmin).

Also, me and a buddy plan on bikepacking (so far as we are able) LeJOG at some point in the next couple of years and a dynamo would have been a good investment. Q is, would it generate enough power to charge my powerbank (or cache whatever that is?? Sorry for being simple in this dept) which I could then use later....
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Depends on the powerbank, on road you'll get about 1A constant supply from something like the Cycle2charge top cap. 20,000 MaH over a day's riding might be a bit too much to ask, but as most phones are 2-3000 MaH (not sure about garmins), you probably won't drain the whole thing in one go. Just make sure that when you buy a dynamo hub, you get a 3W version - the lighter 1.5W ones you can get don't produce enough for decent lights & charging.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also, me and a buddy plan on bikepacking (so far as we are able) LeJOG at some point in the next couple of years
My concern would be - if I bought a dynamo now, I probably wouldn't expect it to still be working in 2 years time :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Also, me and a buddy plan on bikepacking (so far as we are able) LeJOG at some point in the next couple of years
My concern would be - if I bought a dynamo now, I probably wouldn't expect it to still be working in 2 years time :wink:
The "problem" with off-road usage is that it's so variable. On-road there's basically only rain to worry about so one person saying "I've done 6000Km over two years on mine" is not going to be very different regarding wear and tear and general reliability to that experienced by another rider quoting similar usage for the same model. Off-road: well are you simply cruising along gravel roads in the American west with little or no rain or blasting down rocky trails and hiking through bogs in Scotland? Is the user a smooth rider or simply clatters their way along a trail?

My Schmidt SON is about 6 years old but it's always been on my commuter bikes, the roughest treatment it gets is on the canal towpath. The reported problems with dynamos appear to be with the SP models but specifically those for through axles rather than QR. Of course we don't know what the true extent of the problem, if any, is since we don't know either the number of units sold or the number of faulty units. People who experience problems/faults are more likely to shout about it so there'll be a skewed perception. Further to this, you then get people simply repeating tales either to justify themselves not having that product or, worse, that they don't like the product/manufacturer.