Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:41 am My next experiment is the stick across the Gatewood vent/neck hole with lines down to the lifter points ploy. This might not work if the hood's flopped forwards over the hole for rain protection of course so will need a bit of tinkering.

Same ploy would work with flat tarp in 'A frame' mode although the stick would rest on the ridgeline, so I dunno. Although the usual vertical external stick(s)/pole(s) method is obviously much more sensible probably . But where's the fun in sensibleceh? :smile:
This done for hammock tarps, often called a "pole mod(ification)" typically using a carbon fibre pole. There is a slight difference though in that often there's a cord ridgeline above that of the tarp itself though I've seen it done with tarps that aren't set up that way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta Bob, well I'll give it a whirl at some point. It'll probably go horribly wrong which will be entertaining.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Well that all sounds very technical...

I just tied the lifter loop up to a convenient attachment point on my tarp:

This is before I put the midge net in, for obvious reasons.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry, added confusion :smile: . Don't use bivvy bag as you know, was on about just the tarp lifters :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Tarp, no bivvy bag... you might as well be from a different planet :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bugger. You've found me out! I'm Colonel Z'hurg from the planet Farkov. Cower before me, Earthlings, your fate is sealed.

In other news, just been out consuming intemperate quantities of ale (unusual for a weekday) with the county Sustainable Transport Officer. Amongst many other conversations, got asked to apply for a new 'Play Streets Coordinator' job! Tempted but got too much on the Perrin plate. Main thing was we talked bollocks and set the world to rights (*).

(*) no, can't divulge the answer but it's not what you might think.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verena

Post by Verena »

Very cheery Friday here with me - rolled down the big hill behind my house earlier, with my September BAM in the (new acepack) (from Stu) (thank you) bag :-bd

Write up and photos to follow later - which would be equally at home in the BAM 2022, Pimp my Breakfast, and Breakfast with a View threads.... :-P
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I woke up aching today (not unusual to be fair), which isn't very cheery, but it's because I've been cracking on with jobs this week, some of which have been on the list, or unfinished, for a while, so it's satisfying to have finished some of them.

I finished insulating and cladding the final bit of the inside of my garage. Finding the last few bits of pallet neatly stacked in my new store shed when I thought I needed to go find more was particularly cheery.

This is the "messy" part of the garage, hence the gazebo dust sheets. Just need to extend the wiring down the wall for sockets now, and get some wall units up.

Also started, and pretty much finished, bar some painting, a new firewood store made from the pile of otherwise scrap timber from the fence I took down (well, finished taking down after Arwen started). It's pretty rough and ready but it'll do.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is the "messy" part of the garage, hence the gazebo dust sheets
A good idea Dave, I don't have any and my messy part now extends well beyond the original parameters I set out :wink:

Well, it's not raining so that's a start. I've just (nearly) finished repairing a bow for someone that they lent to someone else who proceeded to try and string it backwards, which resulted in 8" snapping off the end - knowing I've saved a £350 bow from the fire is quite cheery.

I've got a little painting to do (don't worry, I'll use a brush) and then onto some bracket and mount fabrication which I generally quite enjoy.

I believe Dee may also be bringing fish and chips home for tea. We don't eat them often and in truth I probably won't overly enjoy them, yet the anticipation combined with the fact I'm not cooking tonight, adds to the general cheeriness of the day.

EDIT: I've also got an as yet unopened Yorkie stashed in the workshop :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 am (don't worry, I'll use a brush)
Reminds me, have we had that photo yet?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

have we had that photo yet?
Yeah, I posted it shortly after you asked but here it is again for you.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 am I've just (nearly) finished repairing a bow for someone that they lent to someone else who proceeded to try and string it backwards, which resulted in 8" snapping off the end - knowing I've saved a £350 bow from the fire is quite cheery.
Blimey, that sounds like a bit of a save! Got any pics of the repair?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Got any pics of the repair?
The two top bits are what snapped off and the bottom is the bow now with a new nock fitted. It's 8" shorter now (luckily it was long to begin with so still 70"). I've re-centred the bow so both limbs are once again the same length. A little bit of tillering to do in order to bring the weight back down (she's probably 14lb heavier than she was) and then some re-finishing and we're done.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:22 pm
Yeah, I posted it shortly after you asked
Ah sorry, missed it. You can certainly tell what brush was used :smile:

psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 am

I believe Dee may also be bringing fish and chips home for tea. We don't eat them often and in truth I probably won't overly enjoy them, yet the anticipation combined with the fact I'm not cooking tonight, adds to the general cheeriness of the day.
Why is it that fish & chips always seem to taste better eaten al fresco at the seaside?!?
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:22 pm
Yeah, I posted it shortly after you asked but here it is again for you.

I was thinking 'good broad brush strokes there Stu' but then I realised I had no idea of the canvas size.... :shock: :grin: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:01 pm Image
Nice - where are you taking that then this weekend??
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

3 day weeekend, little one back to school on Monday so a day to ride my bike was planned right until I ordered a new phone that arrives Monday and I need ID… :oops: Never make things easy :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've still got 4 chunks of Yorkie left. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:34 pm I've still got 4 chunks of Yorkie left. :-bd
Amateur!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:34 pm I've still got 4 chunks of Yorkie left. :-bd
Baffled here. How does that work then?

Reg's chocolate eating process: 1/ open wrapper, 2/ eat it all, 3/ er, that's it.

I have an idea that you might be like me whereby I can eat anything and it makes no difference to my weight whatsoever. I've been 10st 8lb (admittedly with varying ounces within that eighth pound) since I was 21 I think.

Anyone else get that thing where you open a packet of crisps (excluding prawn cocktail obviously) and you have to finish the whole bag no matter what size it is?

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Home grown figs picked today. :grin: Lots more to come. :-bd

Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Verena

Post by Verena »

@Reg, yes to the crisps question, prawn cocktail included, but the same applies to chocolate and packets of biscuits... :oops:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yay, it's cheery Friday!

Slightly less ideal is that I got up super early to pack in a mega long day at work to get some essentials done before going on leave for a week, only to find my laptop sporting just a blank black screen :roll:

Very cheery Friday though, as I'll be going on holiday tomorrow night for a week's holiday of cycling, walking and relaxing in the Pyrenees!

I'm planning on using this time to properly "switch off", including staying off social media, the internet, and my phone in general, other than travel essentials and to take photos.

See you all in a while!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Have a great time, V!