Flared drop bar recommendations...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JezS

Flared drop bar recommendations...

Post by JezS »

Who's using what... Aplkit? Midge? Cow/Woodchipper?
Any big differences you've experienced? - particularly between the OnOne and Alpkit options which have an obvious attraction at £20?

Don't want to say what bike it's for as it will probably flip the swear filter into overdrive! - think "relaxed, all day, cyclocross bike for riding on unfinished roads made of crushed rock" and you'll get the picture.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Single Speed George

Re: Flared drop bar recommendations...

Post by Single Speed George »

my mum had the alpkit ones on her troll we built up , she quite liked them , but has since decided against drops for their 4 months in europe .... so duno what that says about them , i had a few shourt rides with them and thought they were good but im not in my late 50s so i think she just didnt get on with the ridding position on drops in general. though she did like how the bike rode with them on.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I am in my late 50s and love the position, comfort and handling with Woodchippers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Midges - find the hooks far too short to be of much use. All in all, quite cramped.

Chippers - Marmite, a bit too severe for me. Hands never feel very secure on the drops.

Alpkit - not tried.

Genetic Digest - I like these, not too extreme and easy to set-up.

WTB Mountain Road - IMO*, probably the nicest off-road drop ever made :wink:

*other opinions are available - but they might not be quite as good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Midges - find the hooks far too short to be of much use. All in all, quite cramped.

Chippers - Marmite, a bit too severe for me. Hands never feel very secure on the drops.

Alpkit - not tried.

Genetic Digest - I like these, not too extreme and easy to set-up.

WTB Mountain Road - IMO*, probably the nicest off-road drop ever made :wink:

*other opinions are available - but they might not be quite as good.
Dear god, it's like Groundhog Day or something. My opinions and preferences are almost exactly the same.

I have a pristine set of Midges (?) if you want them for a few beer tokens but I'd agree with Stu - hooks a bit short.

I really like the Woodchippers when first fitted but the angle of the bar after the hooks is a bit steep and so I tried the Genetics - my curent favourites / ones that are fitted and being ridden.

Haven't tried either the CowChippers or WTBs but would like to.

Stu - is there any particular reason you prefer the WTBs to the Genetics?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ragley Luxy my favourite so far (but not so for the person I bought them off ;) ). Available second hand, but hard to come by I think.

I liked the look of the Genetic bars I saw on Stu's bike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu - is there any particular reason you prefer the WTBs to the Genetics?
Mountain Road - not to be confused with the newer WTB Mountain Drop which are similar to the Genetic bar. My liking might be something to do with the fact they're 24.5mm, which I always find comfier.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Another vote for Genetic Digest, I've got them on a Dirty Disco which is quite low at the front end but they still work well. Also have a good shape for my Ultegra disc levers, using Lizard Skins tape which is good for the rough gravel roads found here in Cataluña. Mrs PB has nicked the bike and hasn't moaned about them either which is a bonus.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Thanks Stu.

I'd forgotten the Luxy's Ian mentioned. Rare as the proverbial rocking horse ...... but I still mean to try the ones I also picked up 2nd hand. Again, they look a nicer angle (i.e. flatter) on the bit where the WC's are a bit steep. Whilst the Genetics are working fine for me I CBA to change for now (sorry, not for sale :wink:).

Some peeps comment on the Luxy's being a bit stiff because the over-diameter section is almost width of bar between drops. It's the internet though so it may also be horse-apples :cool:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Just fitted, but not yet tried, 420mm Giant Connect XR to the 'cross bike. Fine for an experiment at only £15!! Still a roadie compact shape with just a slight flare. Perfect for me as this is a race bike, not a gravel one
JezS

Post by JezS »

Thanks everyone

I'll give the Genetics a whirl I think based on these recommendations - reasonable price too... result :-bd

If they don't work out - you'll see them back on here for sale soon enough.