anyone riding a jones plus? advice needed.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

anyone riding a jones plus? advice needed.

Post by ton »

for some stupid reason i specced my plus with 1x11. dont like it, infact i would even say it have it.
looking to put a double or triple 9 speed on when it wears out. with the chainline running so close to the rear tyre, i was just wondering what set up other plus riders are using.

cheers
Brothersmith

Re: anyone riding a jones plus? advice needed.

Post by Brothersmith »

I have surly OD double that I no longer need. It is basically like a triple but does away with outer ring and shifts middle and granny rings outbound. Gives loads of clearance for plus tyres. Loved it on my Krampus, have a Stooge now so no longer needed.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

What bb does the surly od chainset use?
I also would like to upgrade my 1 x 11 to
2 x 11.
Is the surly od c/set not configured for 2x10 or will this still work with an 11 speed chain?
Wow. Sorry about all the questions.
:roll:
Grubby little urchin.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Imagine it will depend why you hate 1*11. If it's a lack of top or bottom gear range then you could try a smaller chainring at the front. Only works for one end of the gearing at a time, of course.

Then again, this is a cheap and easy option and you have got a reputation to maintain, I reckon you'd be better flogging the Jones and getting a whole new bike :wink:
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Kumquat wrote:What bb does the surly od chainset use?
I also would like to upgrade my 1 x 11 to
2 x 11.
Is the surly od c/set not configured for 2x10 or will this still work with an 11 speed chain?
Wow. Sorry about all the questions.
:roll:
Its a standard 73mm but will obviously work with 68mm with spacers.

The chain rings I have for it are 10spd, not sure if Surly do 11spd rings, may be a bit modern for them :lol:

I used a 10spd cassette with a 40th range extender and this worked a treat for me, giving a good range of gears.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Having ridden with Ton, its not the gearing thats the issue, its more the chainline.

With the plus tyres the chain is very close to the tyre. In thick claggy mud the chain is picking up that mud off the tyre and clogging up the drive chain.

Unsure if the 11 speed as making the issue bigger with the finer tolerances.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I don't think the chain line is a direct issue of it being 11spd TBH, the inner sprocket would be in the same spot on a 10spd cassette. More likely to be at the front I would guess. A wider Q would perhaps help, the Surly chainset is a good call, I have one on my Jones in fact. Fits fine.
Meant to say, if your not that worried about keeping 11spd, could you maybe lose an outer sprocket, and space the cassette outboard a little?
Last edited by Gari on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Would the chainline be any different/better with a 2x or 3x setup when on the inner chainring?

When I was looking at building up the Puffin fat bike it became apparent that even with the wider Q-factor and chainline on that platform, some tyre and drivetrain combinations would result in a very narrow clearance (I think this was on Surly's website/blog). I went direct mount 1x and the chainring is dished with the recommendation that for fat bikes the ring is oriented with the dish outwards to increase chainline.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unsure if the 11 speed as making the issue bigger with the finer tolerances.
I don't think the chain line is a direct issue of it being 11spd TBH
I think Chew means the problem of a claggy drivetrain is made worse because it's 11spd, not that 11spd is causing the issue ... apologies in advance if I'm wrong.
May the bridges you burn light your way
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Chew wrote:Having ridden with Ton, its not the gearing thats the issue, its more the chainline.

With the plus tyres the chain is very close to the tyre. In thick claggy mud the chain is picking up that mud off the tyre and clogging up the drive chain.
I have the same issue 2x 10 on the Rooster... probably worse when 2x than 1x
Having the EBB should help can't you just move the whole caboodle over a few mm?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Rohloff?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Side facing milk carton mydguard to sheild chain from muddy tyre?

Bodge-tastic. And just what you'd want on a nice bike.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Jeff advises a boost chainset for 2X but the granny ring will still be closer to the tyre than a 1x ring. An OD chainset will be better. I spaced the BB out to the drive side with 2 no. 2.5mm spacers and tyre / chain clearance is fine with 1x10 even in extreme clag. However 1x11 is wider ie the biggest sprok is 2mm nearer the wheel. Go 1x10?? (sunrace cassettes are cheap as off ebay and work well.)
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Brothersmith wrote:I have surly OD double that I no longer need ... have a Stooge now
Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but does that mean the Stooge has room for 2x11 on a 3" tyre?

I had 34/24 on my Swift but had to go to a single 30 when I put the plus tyres on. I think a 2.8" rear tyre would have been an alternative solution.
ton

Post by ton »

read all the replies and all noted. cheers

what chew said is one of the reasons i want to change from 1x11. riding in mud is pretty terrible, and the set up in useless in muddy conditions.
but that is not my only reason. on a 3x9 set up, every thing kind of feels nice a solid. for some reason on a 1x11 set up it feels a bit flimsy and not at all solid.
just spent the weekend riding in the lakes, and it all worked fine, but i seem to be backing off the power when making gear changes, expecting the worse to happen.
it may just takes some getting used to, but i plain simple dont like it.

a 22/32 front with a 12/36 cassette would be perfect, just dont know what to buy.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Tony,

Sounds like you may need a Surly OD double?
It'll allow you the clearance needed to run a double for plus size wheels and 9/10 speed comparable for your Gorilla thighs.

Brother Smith, says he has one spare. Sure you could buy/borrow it.
Or Charlie/Rich & Shona could sort you out.
ton

Post by ton »

doh,,,,,just read that, missed ir 1st time. cheers Matt.