Really hated this winter... (Spanish trail suggestions!)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Really hated this winter... (Spanish trail suggestions!)

Post by Richard G »

Normally I'm not so much affected by winter, but to be honest, since I've actually been trying to force myself to get out in it I've found that I've really hated the weather of late.

I'm pretty good at MTFU, but I found that on the whole I wasn't getting the same sort of enjoyment out of a ride in the miserable wet and cold than I would on even a short ride when it's dry or (god forbid) a little sunny. I found this was even worse when I tried a bit of road biking this winter, but it serves me right I guess for straying too far from the true path.

So... next winter I'm going to spend a couple of (separate) weeks in Spain. I figure it's cheap enough, and it gives me something to look forward to when I'm forcing myself to get out in the miserable British conditions to keep my fitness up.

Can anyone make any suggestions on good places to go? I've had a look around and it seems like the Malaga and Majorca areas might be good. I know the roadies are big fans of Majorca, but this would ideally be for mountain biking.
voodoo_simon

Re: Really hated this winter... (Spanish trail suggestions!)

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'd be tempted to look further south for the winter.

Have seen the Balearics covered in snow this year and seem to remember a few reports of this over the years.

Canaries would be my choice for winter sun and riding. Team Sky train in Tenerifeeee, so at least you'll have good medical support should you need that little bit extra :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I haven't found this winter to be too bad, but then I'm in a different part of the UK.

Majorca for mountain biking. I've seen that there are problems, basically rich people from an eastern country beginning with R have bought large estates and don't take kindly to people biking over them.

Malaga, I went climbing at El Chorro a few years ago and there were mountain bikers heading past so there's definitely trails. I remember doing a search and there were a couple of guiding companies in the area. Didn't investigate further.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

voodoo_simon wrote:I'd be tempted to look further south for the winter.

Have seen the Balearics covered in snow this year and seem to remember a few reports of this over the years.

Canaries would be my choice for winter sun and riding. Team Sky train in Tenerifeeee, so at least you'll have good medical support should you need that little bit extra :wink:
Malaga seems to have an average temp always above 12c, which would be fine for me.

As for location, it's because I can (mostly) speak the language and it's cheap to get to. Are the canary islands cheap to get to / stay on?
whitestone wrote:Malaga, I went climbing at El Chorro a few years ago and there were mountain bikers heading past so there's definitely trails. I remember doing a search and there were a couple of guiding companies in the area. Didn't investigate further.
Yeah, I've found a few trails already. Only had a cursory glance though.

I reckon Strava might be of use too.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

We were in Tenerife over half term. Perfect climate the biggest road climb in Europe and some good looking off road stuff.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I keep looking at this (in part maybe)

http://www.transandalus.org/index.php?o ... =1&lang=en
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I think I'd need more than a week! :shock:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Me and some mates did Fuerteventura on mountain bikes some years back. Plenty to go at over there.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just had a look at some AirBNB places on the islands. Definitely a lot of options. :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've ridden (road) Majorca) in the winter. Weather can be hit and miss - when storms hit you certainly know about it.

A bunch of mates ride mtb there every November and have nothing but praise for it. I think they base themselves out of Pollenca.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Surprised you've come to the obvious coclusion about British winter riding so quickly; though you loved all that type 2 self flagulation BS!

I did some winter riding in Northern Thailiand a few years back, which was great, but tend to just embrace the cold and go skiing when I have the time now; so easy to get to the Alps, even if it has become b*****d expensive...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Worthwhile suffering isn't about ruining rides with weather though, it's about doing what you didn't think possible because of effort.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

This is just my point of view...but weather never ruins a ride for me as I'm outside. My summer excursions onto the Ridgeway would not be the same if I didn't do the same thing type 2 fashion in winter. I really find it hard to understand not riding because of crap weather because it is always so ace afterwards with the extra level of sanctimonious gain adding to the post ride buzz. My best ever moment was falling sideways into a mud bog but only going halfway in. On the way home my two riding buddies struggled to pedal as they laughed so much at half Dave half chocolate in front of them. We still talk about it. We never talk of the glorious sun drenched ascent of Hackpen Hill.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd rather spend an hour on the trainer than two hours outside, then another hour and a half getting my bike in some sort of decent state and another hour sorting my clothes.

But this is slightly off topic. Everyone wants different things out of riding.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Been back looking at this again, and for various reasons (ease of flights / type of riding / price of apartments etc) it's looking like Malaga could be a goer.

Going to go over there in the new year and have a nose around to scope out good potential locations for an apartment. Quite excited about it! :-bd

Gran Canaria still an option, but not quite as easy to get to for me (the apartments seem quite expensive there too). Mallorca is out as it's too far to go for a flight for me.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Plenty of good riding and cheap accom on the trails north and east from Malaga. Did a week pre-Easter this year in perfect riding weather. Loads of options, depending what sort of riding you are after. If you are touring, you can ditch bike bag, etc in the golf lockers at the main train station in the town centre, on the airport line.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cool, cheers for the info. :)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bumping an old thread...

...anyone got any experience of the Canaries / Majorca since COVID19 hit? I really fancy a week somewhere in January (already getting depressed by UK weather) but I don't know how easy travel is these days.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Where did you go last time? What was it like?

Ian
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I did around Malaga last time, but I really fancy one of the islands this time.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

...anyone got any experience of the Canaries / Majorca since COVID19 hit?
I've a few friends that have been out in Majorca the last couple of weeks on road bikes, looks like business as usual.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Talking of the Canaries, looks like there are some good deals on La Palma with the added advantage of not having to warm your tyres before going out :shock: seriously though the volcanic eruption seems to be barely registering on the UK news whilst if the Spanish nightly news is to be believed, there is imminent danger of it properly going pop and taking most of the Canaries with it, the resulting Tsunami could see Florida under several meters of water as well, every cloud :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:53 pm Talking of the Canaries, looks like there are some good deals on La Palma with the added advantage of not having to warm your tyres before going out :shock: seriously though the volcanic eruption seems to be barely registering on the UK news whilst if the Spanish nightly news is to be believed, there is imminent danger of it properly going pop and taking most of the Canaries with it, the resulting Tsunami could see Florida under several meters of water as well, every cloud :wink:
Yes, needless to say if I headed there I'd definitely be booking flights I can cancel!

Finding some very cheap options in January for Mallorca. Would probably just go out there hand baggage only with a helmet / some clothes and then grab a rental bike.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just booked Mallorca for a week in January. Should be nice to get away from the misery of the UK, even if it's just for a short time.