Smells

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slowupslowdown-under

Smells

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Isnt it funny how smells can transport you back to long ago places?!

Had a great night out under the stars last Friday here:

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/ ... park#about

great place to check out if you ever make it down this way!

Early morning ride back to beat the 35-40 degree heat that has settled over these parts recently and suddenly I was transported back in time by that wonderfully pungent and unmistakable smell of sheep!

I mean if it wasn't for the kangaroos, emus, echindans, parrots, deer, brown snakes, yellow tailed black cockatoos and kookaburras I saw that morning I really could have been back in Mid / North Wales!!
NorwayCalling

Re: Smells

Post by NorwayCalling »

LOL... I agree, the smell of sheep on a hot day.... ummm.... that doesn't sound right....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

This could go so very wrong in so many ways :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

No no i concure! I do love that smell too!

I find it goes better when you smell a hint of mint, black pepper and the occasional wiff of 'tatos

Who am i kidding?, i cant smell a cow in an elevator! I dont moan going in the toilet after certain family members and a yankee candle shop has no benifit to me what so ever...

But i do get all nostalgic with certain sounds, certain winds and bird songs can half send me back down memory lane. Music does the sane though less whilst outdoors as i rarely listen whilst biking anymorr.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pine resin = instant mental flashbacks to Fontainebleau. Specifically Gorge aux Chats and repeatedly failing on the rockover on Le Pare Dessus.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having grown up on a hill farm in the Lakes I'm quite used to the smell of sheep/wool/lanolin. Our office used to be part of a wool warehouse and you occasionally get a whiff of lanolin, my co-workers notice it more than me however.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Whenever I smell wild garlic I am instantly taken back to climbing at Wildcat crags in Matlock Bath!!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I'm often taken aback by smells, especially after Guinness :YMSICK:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Of all the senses smells are generally the most evocative however,
HaYWiRe wrote:But i do get all nostalgic with certain sounds, certain winds and bird songs can half send me back down memory lane. Music does the sane though less whilst outdoors as i rarely listen whilst biking anymorr.
Some people are wired differently and can see/feel sounds as colours, taste/feel colour etc. Some of the world's greatest artists had these abilities. I think Stu's form of colour blindness is fairly unique too as I've never heard of it before.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm with Greg and Pine resin. Transports me to the first summer we were here. It was a hot one and they'd just felled part of the forest - climbing out was like riding through a haze of toilet duck.

Castrol R and I'm a seven year old kid, it's Sat night and I'm watching Peter Collins at Belle Vue speedway.

I think Stu's form of colour blindness is fairly unique too as I've never heard of it before.
It is uncommon but I'm not alone Ray.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I love the smell of castrol R, takes me back to watching GP racing back when they rode proper bikes

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I love the smell of castrol R, takes me back to watching GP racing back when they rode proper bikes
Not something I smell much any more but any 2 stroke burning Putoline T2 and quick as a flash, it's the late 80's and I'm back riding with 'The South London LC Cult' and being dragged along the the slip road of Heston services on a tea tray tied to the back of a 350LC ... happy days :grin:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

You guys would love the 576cc V4 2 Stroke that Suter technologies are racing at the
TT again this year, sounds pretty amazing on full chat :shock:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Is Stu colour blind or just has no taste ? :grin: (I'm red green colour blind, still surprises people I work with when I tell them and explain it)

One of the things I like about motorcycling (and cycling) is that you get to smell where you are, for all the positives and negatives. It's a more immersive environment and makes you appreciate where you are more than when you're in a car.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I must just be Nose-blind!

My sense of taste is quite limited too, i know what i like the taste of but cant pick out ingredients like some people, most tastes come from smell anyway.

I have practically perfect Audiographic memory though, cant play an instrument to save my life but can pick out notes (and mistakes) from the tiniest detail of songs. I associate certain memories with music and natual sounds quite strongly.

Somthing i love about adverse weather whilst walking is you never get 2 gusts of wind sound the same! And every creak of a tree is unique, raindrops are excellent for the senses.

Unless youre trying to sleep and all you hear is loud raindrops....and your brain somehow turns the patter into a Van Halen Intro! Bloody annoying :lol:

Oh and theres nothing nostalgic about poor sounding bikes! Or any mechanical device for that matter...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Not something I smell much any more but any 2 stroke burning Putoline T2 and quick as a flash, it's the late 80's and I'm back riding with 'The South London LC Cult' and being dragged along the the slip road of Heston services on a tea tray tied to the back of a 350LC ... happy days :grin:
LC,s the fun we had with those, tuning, racing each other and generally misbehaving :grin: we used to surf behind them on floor tiles, we progressed to boots on gravel which was fine until the gravel ran out at 40mph.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

LC,s the fun we had with those, tuning, racing each other and generally misbehaving :grin: we used to surf behind them on floor tiles, we progressed to boots on gravel which was fine until the gravel ran out at 40mph.
I'm so glad to have known a time when sex was safe and motorbikes dangerous ... brilliant time to be young and stupid :grin:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

When my sleeping bag gets damp, it gives off eau-de-bikepacker...and immediately transports me to sleeping in a ditch somewhere in Colorado. Vanishes when dry.

Greetz

S.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I'm so glad to have known a time when sex was safe and motorbikes dangerous ... brilliant time to be young and stupid :grin:
Ahh the smell of well fried two stroke oil - canne beat it. Sadly three out of 4 of my bikes leave a smell of not very well fried four stroke oil... hey ho

On topic its always been bog myrtle and heather = most of my fav places smell of this (Cairngorms and Dales)
cragrat73

Post by cragrat73 »

Having a couple classic triumphs and bandsaw, my workshop smells of oil and wood. Lovely,
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

cragrat73 wrote:Having a couple classic triumphs and bandsaw, my workshop smells of oil and wood. Lovely,
A bikepacker and two classic triumphs, you are a glutton for punishment :wink: , :lol: .
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Born without a sense of smell... so a world I will never know :cry:

Still I look at the positives - could have been eyesight or hearing which would have been a tad more inconvenient!

Plus riding for a week without washing really doesnt bother me :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The smell of freshly mown grass always takes me back to summers hay making on the farm. It's also quite satisfying in that if the farmers are cutting grass then it's likely to be fine for a few days. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

whitestone wrote:The smell of freshly mown grass always takes me back to summers hay making on the farm. It's also quite satisfying in that if the farmers are cutting grass then it's likely to be fine for a few days. :-bd
making hay while the sun shines :-bd