Best/most reliable Garmin Etrex &bike mount

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Best/most reliable Garmin Etrex &bike mount

Post by redefined_cycles »

Riding to London. Need to get a cost effective secondary device for the mapping so can use my Garmin520 to regulate the power output. What are people thoughts on ehats the most reliable etrex and which bike mount is best for not faffing about and falling off.

Wireless sync with my phone to upload to garmin connect will be an added bonus and if anyone has one lating around for cheap I might be interested...
jay91

Re: Best/most reliable Garmin Etrex &bike mount

Post by jay91 »

I've got a etrex 20 never had any problems with it last for ages on 2 aa's . The genuine Garmin mount is fine.
Trying to ride bikes.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Not sure what you're trying to achieve by having a secondary unit?

If its just power, then a cache battery to keep your existing unit topped up. Something like this charges a phone 2/3 times.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/anker-powerco ... lver-a45ux

Know plenty of people who have had issues with the smaller Garmin units crashing with large files, but never had any issues with my Dakota, which is very similar to the Etrex.
Dont think they do any fancy wireless stuff but its easy to transfer files between a laptop and the unit.

Standard mount is ok, but benefits from a bit of electrical tape on the rails.
redefined_cycles

Thanks guys. Chew, the 520 is more of a trainijg tool you see and a bit of a faff for navigating long distances (crashed on me twice on my training ride last week)...

So I thought, with the price of etrex these days, I may as well invest and have the added security. Will be carrying a large anker powerbank which will be used to charge the lights/phone/520 and anything else (vape stick maybe)... plus its a 24 hour ride for charity so might end up using my phone more than usual to keep donors updated...
Chew

Post by Chew »

No worries

Was it you gurning your way up Salterhebble hill earlier?
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote:No worries

Was it you gurning your way up Salterhebble hill earlier?
Nope. Not guilty. I'm on a rusty Condor for them ends in white. Maaaasive beard and probably smiling at how slowly i go but still manage to stay on the bike...

All sorted with navigation now. Struck a deal on an antique for 70 quid: garmin705 which should get me through most of England now :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Raceware make very good mounts, I use their Exposure to Gopro helmet mount and its very well made. They make tons of Garmin ones.

http://www.racewaredirect.co/product-ca ... in-mounts/