Power links.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

Power links.

Post by Justchris »

Just replaced my chain. Ended up taking a pin out just to get the old one off. Couldn't budge the power link, it was caked in grime. Put a new Kmc on with the power link that came with it, and had a go, just for fun to 'unclip' it. Couldn't do it by hand. But I could with the chain pliers thing. Is it possible to remove a brand new power link on a chain by hand, like in loads of youtube videos?

Thanks

Chris
Richard G

Re: Power links.

Post by Richard G »

Depends on the sort. I've done most of them by hand, but some I've ended up having to use the tool for.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Whipperman connex :-bd

Not cheap. But work incredibly well.

9 speed regular links I could do by hand but I've never managed 10-11 speed ones with out a tool
Al

Post by Al »

Right - this really works for me: pop the quick link forward a tooth on the chainring, then give the end of the link a whack with a rubber mallet / handy but of wood. Should pop right open.
Attachments
IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG (47.69 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

^^^ like it, :-bd .
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Good hack!

Juts fitted SRAM Eagle that I found cheap(ish), but have had to go to Germany to find any of their bespoke chain links. They did the same with XX1 - spare parts like gold dust...
cloudnine

Post by cloudnine »

Give the power link a slight file with a rat tail file before you fit it.. much easier to remove by hand
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pair of pliers works for me but will give that way a go next time.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Never knowingly under biked...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's what I have, works perfectly.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

As a 951/1051 user, I use the SRAM power links all the time. The trick is to take the links either side of the power link and pull them together so your power link is at the top of an inverted triangle. Then take your needlenose pliers, place against the outside roller area of the power link and squeeze. If I can find the video that showed me the trick, I'll post it back here.

Greetz

S.
Muddy Legs

Post by Muddy Legs »

The only times I've ever want to remove a power link has been in the workshop and a BBB tool works perfect for me. Out on the trail the only need has ever been for putting one in for fixing a broken chain!
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

When I was on 9 speed I spent a lot of time experimenting with undoing the link by hand, YouTube videos and all that stuff which tell you it's easy if you do it the right way.

Sometimes I could do it in seconds, other times a lot longer.

When I went 11 speed tried again and quickly reached the conclusion that it cannot be done easily by hand - you may be lucky but if unlucky you won't get it undone.

I now use one of those Park tools to do it - 2 seconds guaranteed.

But out on the trail ? (Weight is an issue) - I would use the chain extraction tool (which is part of my toolkit) and remove links then join again with the spare power links I carry.