spacered bar harness

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

spacered bar harness

Post by ootini »

I like the look of the Alpamayo bar harness, especially the little spacers that hold it off the bars allowing cable and hose routing. However, they're out of stock. Anyone know of other bar harnesses with a similar design ?
fatbikephil

Re: spacered bar harness

Post by fatbikephil »

Revelates harness and the sweet roll have spacers
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers.
Agerstone

Post by Agerstone »

Pretty sure that the new(ish) Ortlieb bar harness has a spacer system very similar to the Relevate one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pretty sure that the new(ish) Ortlieb bar harness has a spacer system very similar to the Relevate one.
They do have a collection of foam spacers. However, the Alpamayo with it's fixed spacer is far less faff to use and very stable too ... how long are they out of stock for?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
They do have a collection of foam spacers. However, the Alpamayo with it's fixed spacer is far less faff to use and very stable too ... how long are they out of stock for?

The Revelate Harness uses one large rubber spacer per strap. It's fixed in such a way that it stays on when you remove the harness. The Sweetroll that I have has a collection of foam spacers, and again stays attached when you remove the strap (this is an "upgrade" from the original design)..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, just to clarify, I meant that the Ortlieb has foam spacers.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I email them yesterday to ask this. Will let you know when I get a response.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

I have the Revelate Harness, Dave.
Very secure, very versatile and really easy to install.
The spacer blocks are removable and the harness can be fixed straight to your bars if necessary , this helps a lot if you are running a large dry bag up front or if you have limited tyre clearance. They are an excellent front harness, the central strap is very useful and the integral clips for the front pocket saves loads of faff!
Not cheap, admittedly, but a quality piece of kit.
Adam.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Id wait for the new stock of Alpamayo ones i love mine. Its well worth the money and wait. It doesnt move at all and well made :wink:
ootini

Post by ootini »

At the minute I'm 50/50 whether to hit the button on the Revelate, or wait for the Alpamayo. Apparently they are almost identical, other than the revelate is a bit stiffer. And then there's always the WildCat Lion isn't there, but the spacing is based on a fabric loop from what I can tell, and doesn't hold the harness as far from the bars as I'd have liked, but still......

Pros and Cons:

Revelate looks boring, plain black. The WildCat looks OK. The Alpamayo looks the nicest.
Alpamayo is also the best price.
Alpamayo is not in stock anywhere from what I can gather, so I'd have to wait.
The WildCat Lion includes the big tongue thingy, and also, is by design the simplest harness and therefore = less to break. Not that the revelate or Alpamayo really could break.

Hmmmmmmm choices choices.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Revelate Harness here too, pretty happy with it. Works on on the Jones Loops on my rigid bike and the Thomson carbon bars on my HT

Someone on here bodged a spacer but feeding both straps through some plastic piping. It was rigid enough to push the harness away from the bars and give some spaces for cables etc
ootini

Post by ootini »

benp1 wrote:Revelate Harness here too, pretty happy with it. Works on on the Jones Loops on my rigid bike and the Thomson carbon bars on my HT

Someone on here bodged a spacer but feeding both straps through some plastic piping. It was rigid enough to push the harness away from the bars and give some spaces for cables etc
Based on this picture of the harness, why would you need to bodge a spacer? Or are you talking about a different harness? Ta

benp1

Post by benp1 »

That was a rubbish post wasn't it? Sorry

I have a Revelate. It's spot on, no changes needed, am happy with it

Someone else has a similar problem to what you're facing, and bodged a fixed with the plastic pipe. It was rather ingenious
ootini

Post by ootini »

benp1 wrote:That was a rubbish post wasn't it? Sorry

I have a Revelate. It's spot on, no changes needed, am happy with it

Someone else has a similar problem to what you're facing, and bodged a fixed with the plastic pipe. It was rather ingenious
Ahha! Now I'm with you.

I did consider bodging, but then if I'm spending a load of cash on something brand new, I want something that doesn't require a bodge. Like this:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something to consider is that the Wildcat is that little narrower than most so doesn't tent to interfere with cables too much. Also the way the straps work produces an 'almost' webbing bar spacer.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ootini, I think you've put pics of the Revelate Harness in all cases.

I'm sure there are others available as there are so many bar harnesses on the market now
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote:Ootini, I think you've put pics of the Revelate Harness in all cases.

I'm sure there are others available as there are so many bar harnesses on the market now
The first is a Revelate, the second is an Alpamayo.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Really?! They look identical (apart from the different colour strapping)

My harness is a touch different as my QR buckles have a locking mechanism for the strap so there's no chance of them slipping
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Alpamayo also has vecro straps that go round the bars and then the webbing straps go over them ... handy for the fingers and thumbs brigade.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Given the cost of these I am seriously beginning to consider trying to make my own. They don't exactly look complicated.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I've just beein informed of a company called Triglav from Slovenia I think. Their harnesses look to tick all the boxes and at a very competitive price. I've messaged them with a few questions and will report back soon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Poland, not Slovenia.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

My brothers girlfriend is Polish if some translation help us needed. Their Facebook page is none to clear when Google translates it.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Had a reply from Alpamayo about the front Harness stock:

"Frustratingly the harnesses are ready, but we're waiting on a shipment of the plastic spacer blocks, which seems to have got stuck at customs. I'd hope we receive them in the next week or so but it's difficult to say"