WRT, is everyone still alive?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bigface0_0

WRT, is everyone still alive?

Post by Bigface0_0 »

Just wondered how it went, was it fantastic and I need to know everything oh that includes pics )
BIKE RACING IS LIKE HAVING A MULLET, BUSINESS UP THE FRONT, PARTY IN THE BACK…!!!
Ian

Re: WRT, is everyone still alive?

Post by Ian »

It was indeed fantastic. I packed light. I stayed dry. I didn't go hungry. I learnt a few things. Let me sort out my kit first than I'll post some stuff up.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

hands up the pussies that bailed on Sunday morning? :D lets see em.

I teamed up with Restlessnative about 25 miles in on Saturday. The poor man had a bivi and a poncho for a tarp :shock: we managed to stay dry while eating and then got some sleep. I was ok in a Laser Comp 8-)

Sunday we rode a mile or 2 to the cafe at Vernwy had some food for a bit then headed out NE to pick up the 2 waypoints out there, some good riding through the forest. Looped around the lake, stopped to cook up some lunch then climbed Bwlch y Groes. we tagged the waypoint but still headed up to the top at around 545m (?)

down the hill at 48mph through more bog, had to ford a river and shoulder the bikes up a steep incline, more bog and roll down to the A470. A night in another forest (its still raining) to wake up to midges, quickly packed and on the go at 8am, puncture an hour later, fixed, down onto the B road and on to the cafe at Llanbrynmair, rolled into the finish for some cake at 11am...

80miles and all the checkpoints we planned. joy.

pics and video to follow
sallyh

Post by sallyh »

I'm putting my hand up to bailing out Sunday afternoon.

Still had a good weekend though cos I won the Alpkit Pipedream, which I'm looking forward to trying out :lol:
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Rain, midges, junk food, bonfires, some riding, some views, a bit of sleep, lots of smiles, a bit of grumpy. 'Twas ace! :D
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

We were just leaving the field in the van yesterday & saw Jack on what must have been the heaviest bike of the weekend...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2243_n.jpg

That's friendship for you! (Or was there some bribery involved?) :D
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

pedalhead wrote:We were just leaving the field in the van yesterday & saw Jack on what must have been the heaviest bike of the weekend...

That's friendship for you! (Or was there some bribery involved?) :D
I had a dinner date 3 hrs drive away so walking was not an option. :o Sean's drive side crank bolt gave up at Foel and we couldn't bodge it, even after borrowing stuff from the VW camper garage there. so out came the guy rope. Earned my cake for the last 2 hours.

Great weekend, we did a clockwise loop taking in the Great trails to Mach, then into the Dfyi Forrest and onto Dolgellau for pub grub and bivyed up by the river just before the deluge. Sat we had a wimp out day with relaxed breakfast at the Coedy visitor centre then upto Transfynd and over to Cerny by road. Mega headwind in the rain was tough, Met quite a few others heading the other way, the better option. Met big group in pub at Cerny but can't remember any names. Onto the lake Vyrnwy in the now heavy rain spirits were waning and we finished Sun night in Penybontfawr.
Had a great night in the Railway inn (can u spot a theme here) hearing stories of bikers seen sleeping in bus shelters and stables around the area. Then found a great spot to bed down, my initiation into making camp while it was chucking it down.
Up and over the Dyfnant forest, great breakfast at the Foel cafe and the swamp track past CP1 to finish, glad we could complete despite the mechanical. About 130 miles in total, great to meet bear bones people and Stew and Dee, thanks for making it all possible.
The old git in the yellow socks
Cornish Neil

Post by Cornish Neil »

We headed straight into the forest, up and over the top heading North to the windmills at Mynydd Cemais (?) then picked up first checkpoint before crossing A458 and continuing North where we saw a couple of others and made camp next to Afon Clywedog. Tarp and blizzard bags worked well and were a fairly light option. Sunday went via the lake and then CLIMBED(!) up to the ridge just inside Snowdonia which was hell! Never been so cold in my life but we didn't dare break into our warmer dry clothing as we knew wet night clothes would be game over! Met a couple of other guys going the other way, we talked each other out of our intended routes so we took the long road option to the pub at Llangynog to thaw and take on warm food. Continued on route to a surprisingly pleasant and midge free camp at Dyfnant. Monday was cracking until Matts V brake pads finally gave up totally and were beyond bodging, steel vs alloy rims meant pushing DOWNHILL!

95.6 miles
6510 m of ascent
Good times

Thanks Stuart.
Time would be better spent getting the miles in instead of fretting about how many ml of meths to carry...
Cornish Neil

Post by Cornish Neil »

photo.JPG by Cornish Neil, on Flickr

Time would be better spent getting the miles in instead of fretting about how many ml of meths to carry...
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

griffdowg wrote:The poor man had a bivi and a poncho for a tarp :shock: we managed to stay dry while eating and then got some sleep. I was ok in a Laser Comp 8-)
tent for next year!!!!