Tyre / rim parting company - anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Tyre / rim parting company - anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had an interesting incident this afternoon when tyre decided to leave the rim at around 30mph while descending off the mountain road. It was instant with absolutlely no warning and resulted in the back wheel completely locking (as it would) and a 50 yard skid until I could bring the impending disaster to a halt.

It was a Vee tyre (their spelling not mine) tyre set up tubeless that I'd just ridden 300km on without any issues - no air loss or anything unusual. I do wonder that had a car being coming in the opposite direction or my cat-like reflexes had failed me, things might have turned out differently.

Anyway, has anyone else suffered anything similar?
May the bridges you burn light your way
atk

Re: Tyre / rim parting company - anyone?

Post by atk »

Before knowing anything about bikes or much interest in riding I had a tyre blow off the rim. It was probably 30 years old, severely perished and a stupid thing to be on.

Seem to remember I was going round a mini roundabout and BOOM, went straight for the curb, leaping off the bike and getting out the way of cars. Not a great experience.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've seen this on road bikes under braking at speed as the heat has caused the tyre to expand and become loose. A guy was paralysed during the Etape I rode in 2005 probably down to this. But it does not sound like your case.

Anyway glad you survived with nothing but skid marks Stu.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I had a PX gravel tyre blow off a Crest rim but to be fair I'd inflated it to 50psi in the garage and gone out in 30 degree heat. It was tubeless and goo went everywhere. Probably pays to stick to max inflation pressure on the sidewall and I'm not sure using washing up liquid to seat the tyre is a good idea.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well it certainly wasn't heat :wink:

Pressure was around 28psi and I doubt it had ever been inflated beyond 40 when I was seating it. There's seemingly no damage to the tyre as I was able to pop a tube in and continue on my merry way ... all very odd.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I had a PX gravel tyre blow off a Crest rim
.. they're also made by Vee tyres, or at least likely to be. I've used Vee Speedsters with tubes for a lot of miles w/o issues, apart from the tread picking up little flints like it had suckers. Heard of a few similar issues with non-TLR tyres used tubeless on road though, enough to put me off doing it anyway. Perhaps some brands just aren't as TL-convertible as others.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Tubeless rim and tyre? Or gheto setup?

Have you checked the rim as well - as in, rim bead still all attached? Having had a rim blow on front of a bike once, old road rim too high pressure, it's not something I'd like to happen to anyone.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

What happens in the tubeless setups is the tyre stretches over time due to the air pressure over the entire tyre (as opposed to pressure in the inner tube pushing certain sections of the tyre). Haven't had it happen to me whilst riding but have experienced the tyre stretch after running tubeless for a couple of years (2 different sets of tires)...

Thats my theory anyhow which I've developed over 6 or 7 years (could be wrong but am pretty sure thats what it is.... even seeing the title of your post I could have put my money on it that they were tubeless setups!)

Hope that helps. Bottom line: the tires need chucking...
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've had this with an mtb tyre years ago. As others have said, over time i think they can stretch & deform a bit.
If the manufacturing isn't quite up to scratch they might be more susceptible to this sort of thing?

Anyway, after doing it once it continued to do it without warning, so it came off the bike & went straight in the bin.
Never had it since with 'good quality' tyres, apart from once blowing a brand new Ardent up & nearly losing my eyebrows.

If i were you Stu i wouldn't take anymore chances with it..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Never had this during a ride but I have some hearing loss from a tubeless tyre blowing off the rim during seating. Left ear was very close to the BANG.
Last edited by ianfitz on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Blimey, that must have been scary! At least it was the rear and not the front
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Blimey, that must have been scary! At least it was the rear and not the front
Possibly more so for Mike who was a few feet behind :wink:
Tubeless rim and tyre? Or gheto setup?
Yes, ghetto set-up, although I recall the tyres are marked as tubeless compatible.
If i were you Stu i wouldn't take anymore chances with it..
I think they'll find themselves in the big pile of tyres in the cellar.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I've never had it happen on a ride, but have when trying to bodge tubeless (non tubeless road tyre on some kind of tubeless compatible rim) have the tyre just explode off the rim (done this twice under similar but slightly different circumstances). This is after it's been seemingly seated for about 10 minutes - then bang and goo everywhere. The tyre and rim on inspection both seem fine afterwards and I just pop a tube in and ride 3k miles on it with no problem.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

This might have happened to me on TNR you know. Front Nano Race on Mavic 719, both non TLR. Long hot rubbly descent, no problem, onto tarmac, Bang! At the time I assumed I'd burped it in a pot hole or hit something, as there was no damage, but now you mention this...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bang!
That bit sounds very familiar ... no pun intended.