Seat rack

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Seat rack

Post by whitestone »

OK, I know it's not fashionable but needs must.

My wife's got herself a fat bike but the increased diameter of the tyres and her ickle legs means that there isn't room to fit a soft seat pack or harness (she uses a Wildcat Tiger on her Soul and there's only just enough room on that). The nearest I've found so far is the Arkel Radonneur but that needs 10cm height from seat rails and there's only 9cm! Some of the others (Decathlon) claim to be lightweight but they are over 1Kg.

So any suggestions? Basically it's going to be carrying light but bulky clothing like a duvet so load capacity only needs to be a couple of Kg.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Re: Seat rack

Post by ScotRoutes »

Backcountry in Aviemore are selling the Defiant seatpacks and there's a low profile model that might work? The Pearl Pass XS.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:Backcountry in Aviemore are selling the Defiant seatpacks and there's a low profile model that might work? The Pearl Pass XS.
Looks good but a sphincter puckering price!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much capacity is required Bob? Would a Bindle rack work?

May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's probably more bulk than weight which is why I was thinking some sort of rack/post to put things beyond the saddle - the Arkel is almost ideal in that respect but the arms to the seat rails are solid so the beam is fixed at 10cm below that height. We'd looked at the PDW Bindle but I wondered if there was anything else.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Dare I say it, but can you fit a pannier rack to the frame?

Tie the stuff to the top and away you go.
If its a fat bike, you're not really going to be worrying about the additional weight
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Putting it further back is means the weight is likely to have more leverage on it though?

How rough is the riding likely to be? I think it's a bit rocky on some of the routes up your way, presumably a seat post rack like the Topeak job won't be robust enough
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pannier was/is another consideration (the bike's a Surly Wednesday BTW) - I think there are mount points on the seat stays.

Ben - the Topeak and others like it suffer from a single attachment point so you'd end up having to tighten things up quite a bit to try and avoid leverage/swing. The Bindle and Arkel also attach to the seat rails so help avoid that.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ah, OK.

Though if it's a strap based, rather than a strut based, attach-to-seat arrangement, couldn't that be easily bodged?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Would one of these work:

More details on Thule's site:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-acc ... -pp_100016

If you want to try one I have the previous manufacturer's version and am Yeadon-way.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Thule rack probably would work, definitely another option. Looks like it's got an inbuilt mudguard as well :-bd
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

I have a similar dilemma - wore a hole in an Adipura seatpack as it slipped-down in use. I can get away with a large Ortlieb seatpack and put a strap around it and my saddle rails to 'cinch' it in a bit. For bigger loads I had a custom rack made:

A stock rack like OMM would have been too tall and interfered with the back of the saddle. Bindle rack looks good, but it is actually heavier that my custom rack
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I have a similar problem on my ecr,currently I have a surly nice rack which is bombproof, heavy and has loads of clearance. I'm thinking of replacing it with one of these http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/sad ... n-original

Thinking a dry bag and a couple of straps through the saddle loops and a lot cheaper than some of the seat packs with racks, £180 for the arkel seatpacker!!!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In the end she got an Arkel Radonneur https://www.arkel-od.com/en/arkel-randonneur-rack.html. Though it doesn't look like it, the rack part and seatpost mount are separate which allows you to adjust things so the rack slopes upwards and avoids the tyre. Acts as a bit of a mudguard as well :-bd
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What does it look like loaded?
Interested in what bag and how secured.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mariner wrote:What does it look like loaded?
Interested in what bag and how secured.
Will get some shots over the festive period. She was using an Alpkit tapered Airlock, strapped down with the supplied straps and a velcro strap around the seat post to prevent fore-aft movement.