Anyone broken a Brooks Cambium?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Anyone broken a Brooks Cambium?

Post by AlasdairMc »

My Brooks Cambium C15 suddenly became a lot less comfy on the commute this morning. The top sheared at the nose and pulled apart around the front bolt, eventually separating from the rails completely and falling off! Not ideal, and I've had it under 18 months so I'll be looking to warranty it.

Has anyone seen similar, and have they had any issues in getting it replaced by Brooks?
Pete-G

Re: Anyone broken a Brooks Cambium?

Post by Pete-G »

Not seen any issues here, but having dealt with Brooks, they've always been very good with issues.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I was one of the original testers for the c17 and mine failed after about 5000 miles....I just rang them up, they put me through to the workshop, and a lovely old fella sent me a new top and new bolts!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

2 many pize
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I've had a couple of bolt's come loose and fall out never to be seen again.

Contacted Brooks and got a little bag of replacements free of charge.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I broke one by bending a rail when i dropped my bike quite a long way down gunnerside gill. one of the seat rails was bent, meaning the saddle was crooked, Brooks sorted me out with a new rail assembly which has sorted the issue. and the saddle has gone on to cover another several thousand kilometres
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Didn't someone on here manage to elongate the holes the bolts go through and Brooks sent him a new top.

Mine looks totally knackered with a weird crease/dark line behind the front bolt support area but I haven't bust it yet. (kiss of death)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ctznsmith wrote:Didn't someone on here manage to elongate the holes the bolts go through and Brooks sent him a new top.

Mine looks totally knackered with a weird crease/dark line behind the front bolt support area but I haven't bust it yet. (kiss of death)
That weird crease is possibly the start of a break. Does it squeak a lot?

They're great saddles aside from the breaking thing...
Mart

Post by Mart »

AlasdairMc wrote: That weird crease is possibly the start of a break. Does it squeak a lot?

Mine squeaks from the front - I had been told it could be loose bolts but they checked out OK
More from rubber moving/interacting with metal parts
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

So, apart from the weird crease, bolts falling out, squeaks, bent seat rails, nose shearing and elongated holes they're good saddles?
Gari

Post by Gari »

I've got 3, my experience is that they are just good saddles. Not had an issue with any of them.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ScotRoutes wrote:2 many pize
I bought one of John Climber on here and recently broke it - bent the rails and the top began to split just behind the front rivets/bolts. I put it down to "too many pies" and haven't done anything about a warranty claim (maybe I should as I did like it).
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Given that I started this topic, I figure I can restart it with some updates.

Firstly, I broke another C15 in exactly the same way as before - a split appearing at the nose at the metal edge of the nose piece. I think the vertical movement against a sharp edge creates a weak point. I've not ridden it so much to break it clean off - instead I've left it as is so Brooks can see where the break starts out.

Luckily Brooks repaired my last C15 so I was able to swap them over.... or not. The C15 had the top replaced, and when I attached it to the bike the rails were too wide for the post by a few mm. Even making them fit, the top isn't attached to the rails particularly well, so it squeaks and there is a lot of movement side to side on it.

I have another one which was bought in December and it's still fine, so hopefully it won't fall apart spectacularly like the others. However, I shouldn't have to have spare saddles just in case I break others with an increasing regularity...

I'm not particularly hard on my bikes, but I do ride rigid and lots of miles, and steer with my hips a fair bit. What could be causing this - does everyone else break theirs eventually, or am I just unlucky/fat/gnar?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

One thing I've found is they I've lost or shaken loose the bolts on different Cambium's over the years bit Brooks sent me out a top up bag.
After loosing another I'm down to my last spare.
So it might be worth nipping yours up while they are still in place.
The front is a bit of a pain to do but it's only a 5 minute job
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

I don't think its pize - im hitting the scales at a whopping 63kg and still have the weird crease behind the nose of the saddle. Its done about 7000km and although still behaving nicely to my butt, it looks rough as rats, but without the squeak.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

JohnClimber wrote:One thing I've found is they I've lost or shaken loose the bolts on different Cambium's over the years bit Brooks sent me out a top up bag.
After loosing another I'm down to my last spare.
So it might be worth nipping yours up while they are still in place.
The front is a bit of a pain to do but it's only a 5 minute job
I've not knowingly had any loose bolts, but will check them anyway.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

journeyman wrote:I don't think its pize - im hitting the scales at a whopping 63kg and still have the weird crease behind the nose of the saddle. Its done about 7000km and although still behaving nicely to my butt, it looks rough as rats, but without the squeak.

Very much depends on how tall you are though.

A person of 182cm and 63kg - less pize than a 110kg at 63kg - or a baby at 63kg.

So, are you a person of smaller stature?

/pedant
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Gari wrote:I've got 3, my experience is that they are just good saddles. Not had an issue with any of them.
Same here, no issues what so ever. My go-to saddle for everything.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

An update: Brooks are replacing one of my saddles, and I'm awaiting a warranty replacement from the retailer on the other one. While having a good warranty is great, I almost feel I shouldn't have to test them on it.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Snapped a rail on my C17 last night, road riding in the Peaks.* It's about two and a half years old and I'd guess it's done about 2500miles. Will get in touch with Brooks today and report back. Looks like the rail & frame assemblies are less than £20 tbf.

*it's done a load of off-road on a hardtail too, including BB200s and the Jenn Ride, and I'm *ahem* not the lightest and most delicate rider...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The December saddle has now started its journey into ruin, with the top fabric now showing a tear where the metal edge runs. These saddles are a joke.

What saddle that's like a Cambium but isn't a Cambium would people recommend? It can't be leather as I need one that doesn't require ongoing care.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

"Like a Cambium" is narrowing the options a bit tbf. There are a few saddles knocking about now with kevlar panels that would be worth a look. My personal favourites SDG do this one. I reckon you should buy that then if you don't like it you can sell it to me. :-bd
jamesatthelodge

Post by jamesatthelodge »

iv had a split for a while near the nose. got worse last week. all the tension went from the saddle. i was sitting on the rails. i phoned Brooks who said send it back and they make it as good as new . no charge. best saddle iv ever had.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

jamesatthelodge wrote:iv had a split for a while near the nose. got worse last week. all the tension went from the saddle. i was sitting on the rails. i phoned Brooks who said send it back and they make it as good as new . no charge. best saddle iv ever had.
I agree that they're great saddles, at least when they're not in a warranty cycle. This one got six months, albeit hard use, but that level of failure is unacceptable.