attaching stuff to forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

attaching stuff to forks

Post by barney »

i've seen a few photos now of people having bags & stuff attached to their forks

how is this done, is there a special adaptor or just strapped tightly with velcro or similar ?

anyone do it, seems like a good way to carry lighter items such as sleeping bag/tarp etc.
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: attaching stuff to forks

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure a few of the pics you've seen will be of Salsa Anything cages - http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/sal ... 1708-p.asp

They're designed to fasten onto certain models of Salsa forks which have the required 3 bolt hole pattern. They can be fitted to other forks but you'll need to use jubilee clips or seperate brackets (try SJS Cycles for those). I'm waiting for Salsa to produce a stainless version to help solve the 'cracking' problem.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Nick

Post by Nick »

Stuart - have you ever had any problems with dry bags being punctured by thorns/gorse etc while riding - was thinking about putting my wee airic sleeping mat on one leg but worried it will be a bit exposed there..
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

decathlon water bottle mounts will work to add bottle cages there

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/apb-300-bott ... 66980.html

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stuart - have you ever had any problems with dry bags being punctured by thorns/gorse etc while riding - was thinking about putting my wee airic sleeping mat on one leg but worried it will be a bit exposed there..
Never had any trouble with thorns etc but I have rubbed holes in the dry bags before. I've stopped using light weight ones on there now. I've found the AlpKit Airlok Xtra bags to be up to the job but not the standard Airlok (bit too thin).

A bit of thin insulating mat or the stuff you lay under laminate flooring used to line the inside of the dry bag works really well, helps the dry bag hold it's shape a bit too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

s8tannorm wrote:
Never had any trouble with thorns etc but I have rubbed holes in the dry bags before. I've stopped using light weight ones on there now. I've found the AlpKit Airlok Xtra bags to be up to the job but not the standard Airlok (bit too thin).

A bit of thin insulating mat or the stuff you lay under laminate flooring used to line the inside of the dry bag works really well, helps the dry bag hold it's shape a bit too.
Thinking about it, plastic chopping boards from asda would do that to. should fend off thorns etc. Good thinking.

G