On One Inbred choice..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jack

On One Inbred choice..

Post by Jack »

A little help would be appreciated here. :) I'm currently in the process of starting to build up a rigid singlespeed 29er and I've settled on the On One Inbred frame (good reviews, does what I want, cheap etc) But would appreciate a little help with frame sizing before I take the plunge.. The Medium size (on their guide on the website) suggests 5'9 to 6'1 and the Large size suggests 5'10 to 6'2. The issue is that while I'm currently 5'11, I'm only 17 and don't show much sigh of stopping growing. Judging by the rest of the family I'll probably end up about 6'1 (extrapolation and guess work I know, but I'm reasonably sure.. ;) ) And I'd like the frame still to fit two years down the line. I'm of a slim build, so don't want to overdo the weight with an unnecessarily large frame if helped. If anyone who has an Inbred, or anyone generally, has any advice on choice it would be much appreciated. Thanks Jack
Cheeky Monkey

Re: On One Inbred choice..

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I suspect the weight difference between the two sizes will be, in the general scheme of things, irrelevant. The old 26" DN6 inbreds were no lightweights. Dunno if newer ones are better (doubt it). Nice ride tho.

Can't comment on the specifics of sizing other than to advise buying the one that fits. A badly fitting bike's a pita 8-)
trickyname

Post by trickyname »

Hi Jack,

I had an older model 26" Inbred in 18", which I guess is a Medium, and being 6'1" it was pretty small for me. Thats the main reason why I sold it, and the fact that I had too many bikes!
Personally I would go for a large and put a shorter stem on it, like a 60mm or so, and then as you grow you can lengthen the reach abit by putting a longer stem on it. It would be a better bet than going for the smaller size and having to put a longer stem on it. Longer stems make the steering slower and I think look terrible.
The weight difference between a medium and a large would be minimal and too small a bike is just no fun for doing miles on. And a large frame means more space in your frame bag!(Not much but a bit) Also for singlespeeding I find that a larger frame is better.... Dunno why but it seems that way to me.
The main thing to think about is stand over height. You could take down the measurements from the On-one website, and try and find a bike that you local bike shop would have in stock, that is a similar size. Then go and have a seat on it, or even a test ride round the car park..It would certainly give you a better idea of how the different sizes feel.

Hope that helps

Andy :ugeek:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I am 5' 6" and ride a medium inbred 29", tried a small but just not right.

I could probably grow a few inches and still fit my bike but it's very unlikely I will!!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi,
I was recently in a similar position to you (18 years old, smaller than my older brothers) and in the middle of sizes for a Surly Ogre frame, the 18" and 20".
In the end I went for the 20" with a shorter-than-usual stem (90mm vs the standard 110mm) and an almost inline seatpost. It doesn't feel too big(although I haven't tried the 18") But I have sacrificed some standover clearance like Andy said, not too much of a big deal though and I'm not regretting it.
Joe
gairym

Post by gairym »

also.....i'd say that a lot depends on your arm/body/leg length ratios.

i'm 6'2" and i've had three 18" inbred's previously (and still have one) and i find them the right size for me (i'm short of body but with long legs so i use a long seatpost and then the reach is perfect).

but.....with my Cotic i use a Large and it's also about right (a little longer in the top tube).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As said above Inbreds have a pretty long TT compared to most so it's less to do with your overall height and more to do with the relationship between leg / body length.

I'm 5' 7" and ride a 16" with a 60mm stem and Fleegles. An 18" always left me feeling a little stretched out. Adjustablewench is an inch shorter than me but rides an 18" ... I must have longer legs and a shorter torso or we've undergone some sci-fi body switch experiment type thing ;)

I'd take a good look at the frame specs on the OO site and try to compare the TT length to something you already know fits. Trying to size a frame from the seat tube length is pretty meaningless really.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

If you are worried about the weight difference between a medium and a large frame then the Inbred is not the frame you should be looking at anyway. Look at a scandal instead, same geo but lighter. I love my 853 Inbred but my brother's scandal rides almost as nice and and is quite a bit lighter
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i'm 5'11" & ride an 18". i run a 100 mm stem with swept back bars/ prob need a 80mm stem on 'normal bars'.

I could probably get away with a 19.5". where are you - there are loads of people with them & people are often happy for you to have a ride.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Where do you live Jack?

You might live around the corner from someone who has one you can try for size?

Or give the guys at on-one a ring and they might be able to advise a bit more (pop into their shop if you live anywhere near Sheffield)
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Adjustablewench is an inch shorter than me but rides an 18" ... I must have longer legs and a shorter torso or we've undergone some sci-fi body switch experiment type thing
I just ride a bike in a weird way - well maybe not weird but i am quite flexible and lean forward a lot. the first time i went to on-one they didn't have any in-breds to try so i rode an 18" scandal which i liked but got told that i shouldn't have an 18" being a short-ass (but it felt comfy to me). when the inbred frames came in they built up a 16" and it really wasn't right felt like i was sliding off the back of the saddle all the time.

So after discussions of laid back seat posts and longer stems it was decided the best thing was to get an 18" one - which i picked up a few days before Mach and back and luckily it worked! guess the moral of the story is to ride one first as many have already said
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

5'9" and ridden an 18" inbred and tinbred plus a 16" summer season (let's forget about the armadildo and various other things). I could make the 16" fit but the 18" was the "right" size for me.

If you can't try one first ( and be wary of other peoples bikes as individual set up can skew things) then go vanilla and get an 18". My 2p.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated. I'll probably end up plumping for the 18", it seems like while both will fit me, this seems to be a better choice. Thanks all. (apologies for the slow reply, bogged under with exam revision currently, and opening the internet is like opening a gateway to hours of procrastination. ;p)