BB200 Route.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: BB200 Route.

Post by slarge »

Really enjoyed that. Fast trails, cracking scenery, a (little) bit of pushing, and a cafe with cake at 140km.
9.40 start, 1.30am finish, and good to be chasing Pete G and Ian B, whose lights weren't far in front.
Bacon sarnies this morning as well - bonus.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Well to the usual suspects: Stuart, Ian and Lee on your seriously swift rides. :-bd :-bd :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

slarge wrote:Really enjoyed that. Fast trails, cracking scenery, a (little) bit of pushing, and a cafe with cake at 140km.
That Cafe was vaguely exciting. Such a welcome sight.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote:
slarge wrote:Really enjoyed that. Fast trails, cracking scenery, a (little) bit of pushing, and a cafe with cake at 140km.
That Cafe was vaguely exciting. Such a welcome sight.
There are angels in Wales
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

The cafe was amazing! Just what I needed. Great route, too - thanks Stu.
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Cheers Stu and Dee

I have lots of photos n stuff. Will write a blog at some point.....

.....after I spend another hour trying to get the stench of sheep poo out of the van/my kit/my nose. Thank gawd for milton, jet washes and radiators to dry it all on :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On the subject... North of Dylife - WHYYYYY?!? :lol:

I'm going to drive up there and scout out some more interesting (but still challenging) options in the spring.
Don't be such a roadie*

*I can feel a new sticker coming on.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

"It's just hiking"

(With a bloody great heavy bike) :lol:
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Cracking event as ever stu and dee, a subtle balance of character building and type 2 fun as ever! Good to see everyone again and meet new people and no doubt I'll see a lot of you on the trails again at some point!
slarge

Post by slarge »

I must admit I thought Stu was getting soft as the first 190km was fairly straightforward. He did redeem himself in the last 20km though for that unique BB touch.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So who actually got it right?

:lol:
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Whichever one of those blue lines is the stream......

I think that was the one I followed :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:So who actually got it right?
I went on bing maps to see if there actually is a route up from the track after the star in pub.

I was doing quite well with until that.
could have been worse .....my (rigid) gravel bike could have been built in time. It was nice having suspension.

perhaps next time I won't chase a black badge
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

the people finishing around midnight .....what sleeping gear were you carrying? presumably "just enough" to satisfy rules, yet light enough to be unnoticeable? curious what.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Asposium wrote:the people finishing around midnight .....what sleeping gear were you carrying? presumably "just enough" to satisfy rules, yet light enough to be unnoticeable? curious what.
I wasn't sure even after setting off whether I'd bivy out or not, in the event I rode through and finished just before 4am. My sleeping kit was: Klymit X-Frame sleeping mat; Cumulus 150 quilt; Alpkit Hunka XL. I bivvied in the grassy bit of the car park and with a spare thermal top I'd also carried it was warm enough. The whole lot fits easily into an Alpkit tapered Airlock dry bag.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote: Cumulus 150 quilt; .
375g :o
slarge

Post by slarge »

Asposium wrote:the people finishing around midnight .....what sleeping gear were you carrying? presumably "just enough" to satisfy rules, yet light enough to be unnoticeable? curious what.

Cumulus sleeping bag and Borah Cuban bivvy, spare base layer, leg warmers gloves, arm warmers and socks in seat pack. Didn't weigh it, but probably 800 grams all in. Didn't notice it at all.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bravo to Stu & Dee for putting on another great event. The route was fantastic and even the last few km in the wilderness was relatively pleasant when compared to the endless HAB of 2014.

Legs are feeling it today; I suspect that is linked with dehydration more than raw exertion - 1500ml of water for the first 6 hours was definitely not wise.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Legs are feeling it today; I suspect that is linked with dehydration more than raw exertion - 1500ml of water for the first 6 hours was definitely not wise.
I made the same mistake. Went two hours with nothing and then loaded heavily at Knighton which meant I felt like I was sloshing around for the next couple of hours.

Wont be making that mistake again. I'd rather run heavy with more water than get a headache again.
PJG

Post by PJG »

I borrowed a Phd Minimus sleeping bag (~500g) and I've got a breathable bivi bag (~500g) of unknown origin (mate brought it back from Nepal).
I also slung in a lightweight down jacket (~350g).

So only just noticeable really.
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
On the subject... North of Dylife - WHYYYYY?!? :lol:

I'm going to drive up there and scout out some more interesting (but still challenging) options in the spring.
Don't be such a roadie*

*I can feel a new sticker coming on.
:lol: yes! Do it :-bd
The noise goes quiet when I'm on my bike :)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

i had a phd minimus bag and a SOL lite bivi. under 500g for both including the cuben fibre bag they were in. wouldn't have been the best nights sleep ever...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I forgot to say, because I was so close to the end, I thought "balls to it" and went through the river at Hafren rather than over the bridge.

Close to the end.

:cry:
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Richard G wrote:
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Legs are feeling it today; I suspect that is linked with dehydration more than raw exertion - 1500ml of water for the first 6 hours was definitely not wise.
I made the same mistake. Went two hours with nothing and then loaded heavily at Knighton which meant I felt like I was sloshing around for the next couple of hours.

Wont be making that mistake again. I'd rather run heavy with more water than get a headache again.
Me too! :shock:
The noise goes quiet when I'm on my bike :)
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

I just filled my dry bag with paper to make it look full!

Only joking I had a blizzard bag and rab vapour rise alpine jacket in the wildcat saddle bag, arm warmers, knee warmers, silk gloves, buff and Crikey, how much's insulated brevet gilet in the backpack and rear jersey pockets. Just enough to survive an overnighter outdoors if needed.