Double Sleeping bag or quilt

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

YetiTony

Double Sleeping bag or quilt

Post by YetiTony »

Hi All,

Slightly off topic from bike packing but you may have some good ideas.

When camping with the missus we use an old double sized sleeping bag. It is getting pretty old and shabby and is the size of a small fridge when packed up.

I am looking to upgrade to a new bag or quilt. Needs to be suitable for 3 seasons and pack down to a reasonable size (smaller than a fridge). Will only be thrown in the car but would be nice to see out of the back window.

Any thoughts?
whitestone

Re: Double Sleeping bag or quilt

Post by whitestone »

I think you'd be better off with a quilt/comforter. We've tried the two bags zipped together and it's not ideal.

Cumulus do this http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=54&vid=7 I don't have it but do have the lightweight quilt which I'm pleased with. PHD also do double quilts http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/lightweight- ... nas-duvets - again I don't have any of them but do have a PHD sleeping bag and vest which are very high quality.

Finally (among the companies that I have an interest in) are Enlightened Equipment, USA based, I don't have any of their kit but would love to. Ianfitz on here has just got himself one of their quilts. They do the Accomplice http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/accomplice/
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Strangely, when we tried a double quilt I kept waking up freezing (no prizes for guessing why) while she spent the night lovely and toastie :lol:

We actually used two sleeping bags zipped together for a long tine, and put our mats inside them to give it a tucked in bed feel. A few funny nights but mostly good and we pushed our cheap 12c sleeping bags into much colder nights this way.

Now we just sleep in separate bags, both ours have the same side zip now but are much much warmer -3c and lovely down goodness. Plus she cant steal my warmth now *mwahaha* :lol:

If you do go down the quilt route, find a way of holding it to the mat for security.
And careful using two separate mats too, I kept falling in-between them and waking up quite cold on the tent floor :oops:

Either way, some comical nights ahead I guarantee you
breff
Location: Lancaster.... "Not the Yorkshire, Not the Yorkshire!"

Post by breff »

Slightly off topic here... I am Wider than I am High, 5' 8" high so you can figure that 120kg means a struggle in most sleeping bags!
Any recommendations for a, not Mummy style, sleeping bag that is 3 or 4 seasons and not too vast to load on my bike?
At the pace of sailing ships and bicycles.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

breff wrote:Slightly off topic here... I am Wider than I am High, 5' 8" high so you can figure that 120kg means a struggle in most sleeping bags!
Any recommendations for a, not Mummy style, sleeping bag that is 3 or 4 seasons and not too vast to load on my bike?
mountain hardware have lots of room. very generous in their sizing. get a mummy one. if you dont like its easier to shift. and a 5'8'' you wont reach the bottom anyway! :grin:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Exped do a load of double quilts and mats, no idea on the cost.
breff
Location: Lancaster.... "Not the Yorkshire, Not the Yorkshire!"

Post by breff »

Cheers y'all!
I'll take a look next Payday. I got a new Tarp' and want to give that a try but the sleeping bag needs to be right.
At the pace of sailing ships and bicycles.