July Scotland trip

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dusza

July Scotland trip

Post by Dusza »

I'm planning a route around Scotland beginning of July. The idea is to cycle for a week+ or so, mostly wild camping. I'll be carrying a tent so only if the weather is REALLY bad I would consider a morale boosting camping/b&b.
Currently the route would take me along the West Highland Way, then to Avienmore (roughly following the East Highland Way) and from there I'd join the eastern part of the Cairngorms Loop. If time allows I would consider the inner loop in the Cairngorms as well.
I already know about the nasty northern section of Loch Lomond, so maybe I'll take the ferry to Inveruglas to save me some time.
How is the rest of the routes down there? I'll be riding a Salsa Fargo with suspension fork, I assume it will get rather heavy (25-30 kg ). Are there any prolonged technical sections which would make riding a loaded bike a problem?
I don't think resupplying on the go should be a problem (apart of the Cairngorms) and I don't plan to have more than 2 days worth of food - I'm not even sure I should take a stove with me.
Water? From what I've seen on the maps resupplying along the route won't be problematic - I'm thinking 1.5 l capacity + filter/tablets to keep the nasties away.
Any chance of temperatures falling below 5 degC in the night?
It will be my first visit to Scotland so if any of you have any suggestions for a virgin :oops: I'd be happy to hear them. :)
didnothingfatal

Re: July Scotland trip

Post by didnothingfatal »

I'm going in June, got 500miles planned over 9 days, WHW with Glen Etive Kinglass circuit added for good measure, Great Glen Way, then Inverness to Pitlochry, before taking the Rob Roy Way back. I have a ferry booked for Loch Lomond, but to be honest the chances of using it are slim, as it means a 18 hour wait, I'd sooner keep going. Water, I'm carrying a lightweight filter system. Shelter, Integral Designs SilShelter, SilTarp, BugBivy, PHD sleeping bag cover and a groundsheet. The groundsheet and siltarp, are surplus to basics, but for the extra 350g if the weather is good I'll take the view.

Kit list is pretty light, the heavisest part being dehydrated food.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Scotland = Midges so be prepared for them, and in July they will be out in force. I was going to try and bive up there for 2 weeks, but have gone for a tent to either keep the midges at bay if its sunny, or have more room if there is heavy rain for a few days.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi DNF, 18 hour wait for a ferry, that's ridiculous, just cycle it. You are forwarned so you know what to expect unlike me, just do it and laugh about it later. You can tell me if it's as bad as I think!
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

DNF, seems like you have planned a great journey. My initial thought was to connect Sarn Helen-Pennine Bridleway-WHW-Great Glen Way into one continuous trip , but I would need a month or so to finish and time ended up being an issue. I'll cycle Wales in June, Scotland in July and leave Pennine as a reason to visit UK sometime later :)
Do you have to book the ferry in advance? I thought I would just pop up and if it departures in the next 2 hours I'd take it, otherwise hike-a-bike the northern parts of Loch Lomond - it can't be worse than the Mid Welsh moorland, can it? :roll:

Chew, I've heard the midges are really bad that time of the year. Do you know of any (nontoxic) repellent? I've read somewhere that Avon's skin so soft works quite well?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi Dusza, you could try "smidgie", works for me, and they love me!!!
As for the ferry you can just get on no problem, they are even ok with bikes...sounds like a good trip.
Gari
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Apparently Avons skin so soft is ace but I have not tried it.
didnothingfatal

Search on Loch Lomond ferries, they aren't that regular, so depending on time of day you leave Milngavie you could be in for a wait, I start at lunch, so I'll be hitting Lomond on the afternoon of day one. So it's sit and wait until 10.45 the next morning or push on, I would sooner put miles under the tyres. Also watch the news section, diversions are in place now

http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/news ... sp?id=1284

I've looking at the walking websites, This is how I found out on a few diversions. I have two times for my trip, 6.02 out of Watford Junction, and a train mid morning a week and a half later out of Milngavie, what happens In between :?

If you have a iPhone I found a Scottish Midge Forecast app, also got Smidge from local outdoors shop. I'm taking a BugaBivy to stop the little buggers eating me, also start dosing on vitamin b12. Only other shelter will be a Silshelter, a groundsheet.

I'm planning on carrying evening meals and breakfasts with me, but majority of trips will be fuelled on haggis, is the plan. The Etive diversion will be food stop less. I also anticipate sone hike-a-bike that diversion.

Skin So Soft was great until a few years back, but they removed the good stuff that repelled them. I'm also planning on a wide brimmed hat and mosquito net for evenings.
didnothingfatal

This is the head net I ordered

http://www.midgie.net/

Will also be using it Wales and Iceland, also got their itch remedy too
Mike

Post by Mike »

Avon skin so soft has never failed me, ul only find them a prob i find when the wind drops to nowt then they come get ya!! Try to stay in sunny areas also. I did a 540mile trip round the west coast in april with a bob trailer what can i say what an vaguely exciting part of the world to ride in ul love it!! Im planning to go back up in sept to do the outer hebs for 12days
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

As it sometimes goes in life, I'll have to postpone my Scottish adventure due to work related stuff... :(
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

There's a light at the end of the tunnel so...
What's the weather like in Scotland in the 2nd half on August? Just don't tell me it's sunny! ;)
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

A couple of things. People who say down in relation to more northerly latitudes are weird. ;)

Smidge seems to work well. Skin so Soft does not repel, it merely drowns them. Would suggest you take a head net too though.

I've never, ever treated any water in Scotland and never had any ill effects. Just exercise common sense about where you get it from. I can't imagine temps dropping below 5 unless you camp really high. But if it did, you could layer up in your sleeping bag.