Route advice-Cairngorm circuit

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ashy

Route advice-Cairngorm circuit

Post by Ashy »

Hi All,
I'm planning to ride the 200km Cairngorm circuit pictured below next week, starting in Blair Atholl. I've done lots of walking and climbing in the Cairngorms, including multi day wild camps, but I've never bikepacked it for 4 days before!

It's supposed to be a bit of a holiday, so as you can see I'm only aiming to cover 30 miles a day. My questions are.
1. Do I need to worry about deer stalking? I don't want to get shot!
2. Food. Do I carry 4 days supply, or stuff my face/bags with food at Kingussie/Tomintoul/Braemar, and just carry a few days reserve food. I'm planning to take light and dry food like cous-cous, on the assumption that water will be prevalent and so not worth carrying a huge amount of water weight in boil-in-the-bag type camping meals.
3. I'm keen to camp in the wilderness as much as possible-does anyone local know of any particularly good spots along the route?
4. River crossings...I don't fancy soaking my five tens, so was going to pack a light pair of flip flops-any locals know how the river levels are looking currently? I know ScotRoutes did this route(or similar) earlier this year and found the levels quite high.
5. Any other general hints and tips for a c. 4 day BikePack?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
ScotRoutes

Re: Route advice-Cairngorm circuit

Post by ScotRoutes »

1. No.
2. Just time your journey to meet shop opening times. You're never that far from another food stop.
3. There are suitable spots in most places. Publishing GRs is generally frowned upon. What I will say is that; the bit between Drumguish and Insh has a few houses along it, but you'll find a nice spot if you head into Inshriach Forest at the Uath Lochans, there's a lovely spot just as you enter Glen Brown (just past the little hand-made "Tomintoul" sign) that I've had my eye on, lots of places at Linn of Dee.
4. Water levels are looooow and I'm not expecting any major increases in the next few days. The Geldie is likely to be your biggest problem. Crossing the Burn of Brown will likely see you with wet feet unless you're wearing flip-flops the whole length of the Glen or are happy changing them every few minutes.
5. 4 days should be a nice, easy pace. Choose your camp spots wisely and just chill out watching nothing very much. You'll also have time to enjoy cake etc in the various places you pass through.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Hiya Chris, Im no expert but based on my trip last week,

1, I had no issues at all the whole way round, apparently as long as you stick to the valley bottom on main paths/tracks it shouldn't be a problem.
2, I only carried enough food for 24hours, probably carried too much plenty of chances to resupply on the way around, good shop in Tomintoul and co-op in Braemar and Aviemore, cafes at glenmore
3, You will pass great camping spots all the way round but its probably worth making a note of where the bothys are on the way around. especially the Bob Scott bothy about 3 miles off your route at the end of your day three. also bothys on the original loop route at km 67(very basic) km 85 Ryovan bothy
4, I also wore five tens and they got soaked, I also only had one pair of socks. there are so many river crossings changing your shoes would be a pain in the ass. embrace the wet feet as long as you have got a way to dry and clean them in the evening. On this trip my worst river crossing was knee deep, the bulk of them were ankle deep bolder hopping exercises, a good pair of seal skins will do.

Enjoy.
Ashy

Post by Ashy »

vaguely exciting, great advice. Thank you!