cairngorm loop this week

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianpv

cairngorm loop this week

Post by ianpv »

Having had to miss the torino-nice rally due to lack of funds I've got a bit of time off and was planning to do the cairngorm loop weds-fri. But then I remembered it was stalking season :shock: . Does anyone know if this is likely to be a problem?
Gari

Re: cairngorm loop this week

Post by Gari »

If you stick to the tracks/trails you'll be fine. Often the only way you know a party is around(ish) is a Landy or two parked by the track side.
Mart

Post by Mart »

The notice board in the Old Bridge car park has the local restrictions
These looked local to that vicinity (might not quite cover further north)
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Those are all pretty established tracks and you should have no problems whatsoever.

The midges however......
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

ha! the warm weather following a bit of rain is going to be a midge fest, I know... tent not bivi for me!
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

How did you get on, any problems on the way round?
Off to ride this route over three leisurely days from wed.

Cheers

Paul.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I had a good time - the first 85 km were a cruise up to loch morlich, then the hard work begins up the shoulder of bynack mor. A bit of HoB past the fords of avon then a great descent down to the linn of dee. Unfortunately I crashed hard and stupidly on this descent, but luckily only landed on my face. Bent my seat rails though, which led to a nasty saddle sore the next day. I was hoping to sleep in the bothy in Glen Feshie, but it was closed for renovation (and seems likely to be all september judging from the guy in the digger I spoke to)! So I camped next to the feshie just past the waterfall. The midgies were horrendous as predicted. Day 1 with a few pics:

https://www.strava.com/activities/707513782

day 2 started wet and windy, and carried on that way! Whizzed up to aviemore with a massive tailwind for breakfast, then headed over through the lovely abernethy forest singletrack before doing the burn of brown adventure, which was wet but short. Quick break at Tomintoul for lunch, and the weather was pretty set in, so I decided to get back to the van that night. My phone died at this point due to water ingress so no photos from day two. It was a bit of a death march into a fierce headwind down to Braemar, and then down the geldie burn. I got to the decision point at the top of the tilt at just gone 6 pm, and had no lights, so skipped the sting in the tail for a battle with the wind down glen tilt, then dinner & beer at the atholl arms before collapsing in the van in the bridge of tilt car park.

https://www.strava.com/activities/707514529

All the river crossings were really low - less than knee high - so no probs other than the midge beasts!
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

PS, the rivers are so low that I crossed the feshie twice rather than dragging my bike across the washed out trail bit above the river at the bottom of glen feshie...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done! I sometimes wish that Steve would remove that Fealar lodge bit and add the mileage elswhere in the loop (there are plenty of options) as finishing with the fine roll out of Glen Tilt is a great way to end the circuit.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Thanks for that Ian. Will be going considerably slower than you though.
The roll out down Glen Tilt does look very inviting on the map.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's been pissing down so you've timed it really well.

There are other changes I could also suggest - mainly aimed at reducing the amount of tarmac. Speyside Way from Loch Insh to Aviemore would be an option.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Hopevalleypaul - how did it go? Or are the midgies picking at your bones by the side of the Feshie?
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I had one of the best trips I've ever had. Mainly blue skies, tail winds and very few midges.

Started late from BA and had a fine midge free bivi just north of Gaick lodge. https://instagram.com/p/BKlCuRlhVlC/

Day 2 was beautiful cold start, blue skies and light winds. Stopped at the cafe at glenmore campsite, probably the strangest cafe I've ever been too. Didn't see anyone else then until I got to the busy Bob Scott bothy. as soon as I took my helmet off a dog pissed in it. So I carried on to bivi just south of the feshie bothy. Rained all night and was nearly eaten alive.
https://instagram.com/p/BKlE19th4ri/

Day 3, after the overnight rain the river crossings became a bit more interesting but still quite manageable. After refuling in Aviemore I had blue skies and tail winds all the way to braemar. The bit between tomintoul and braemar was some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen from a bike. The ride down from Culardoch was ace. Especially as it ended at a chip shop.
https://instagram.com/p/BKlFRCsBZ9Q/

After a crap nights sleep in braemar yha ( wished I'd bivied instead) l also rolled down glen tilt. I was back home for the kids bed time that night.

A fantastic route. Glad I took this chance to ride it and enjoy it. Definitely one to come back and try and give it the ITT treatment. But I think a similar style go at the borders 350 next for me.
Ashy

Post by Ashy »

Looks great, I'm doing roughly the same route next week
I've posted in the route advice section, so apologies for the double post but any advice or recommendations?
Cheers
Chris
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

looks good Paul, wish I'd had weather like that! I was planning to tour it too but with the rain and midges I just decided to semi-ITT it, but with a full load of camping gear, stove, change of clothes etc. etc.

Ashy, that looks a nice trip - pretty relaxed days by the looks of it. Hope the weather holds out for you!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Ashy, that's pretty much the same way we did it last year. Here is a link to the write up I did

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 831#p60831
Ashy

Post by Ashy »

Cheers for that, very useful to get a sense of the route. Looking forward to it now!
Chris
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

rudedog wrote:Ashy, that's pretty much the same way we did it last year. Here is a link to the write up I did

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 831#p60831
Great photos. :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hux is currently doing the loops so you may bump into another bike packer :)