Flats or spd's?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Flats or spd's?

Post by JohnClimber »

When bike packing to you ride with flat pedals or stick with spd's (or the like)?

Do you ride clipped in normally and bike packing with flat pedals? Or visa versa?
ctznsmith

Re: Flats or spd's?

Post by ctznsmith »

SPD's all the time.

I do have them quite loose in terms of clipping/unclipping though and favour the 'trail' pedals with a platform around the mechanism.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Ride clipped in all the time. Always feel like it's more efficient and more controllable, the last time I was forced to ride flats I was all over the shop.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Flats on both mountain bikes.
Clipless on cx and road.

I'm not convinced that there's a huge difference in terms of efficiency and the benefits of not falling over when losing traction on the mtb makes it worthwhile for me.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

SPDs on everything. I'm so accustomed to them that I have a hard time on the occasions I have to ride flats or ride in uncleated shoes. It feels weird and I get a lot of foot lift, particularly trying to go up anything hilly enough to stand up on.
Never had a problem riding trails and technical terrain. Like others, I keep my MTB pedals fairly loose so that I don't get caught out trying to put a foot down. The offset is that occasionally a stiff bump or a inconvenient rock has managed to knock me out of the pedal but that in itself has never managed to unseat me. I keep the pedals tighter on the road bike but I also keep them loose on the polo bike. I'm more likely to fall off playing polo than riding trails but I think that's usually more to do with drunkeness and stupidity than being clipped in.

I'm not going to claim any great efficiency gains from cleats but it's what I'm familiar and comfortable with. However, I think it adds control although that's mostly a polo thing. Makes track standing a lot easier too.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Eggbeaters 'n cleats...every time.

Greetz

S.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Spuds unless I'm on the Moonlander carrying wee nipper in a child seat.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Swap between the two on my MTB with no particular rhyme or reason though my Bushtoasters are SPD so winter tends to see me using those.

SPDs on my commuter, Look Keo on my road bike
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

Flats on everything other than the road bike.

Hate being tied to the bike offroad.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

SPDs for the commuter (with flats on the other side for local errands)

Flats for MTB (and clown bike)
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Flats!, clipped is for racers and roadies imo
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Egg beaters on all my bikes, hate riding with feet loose.

Trying to work out a compact/light/easy to carry, walking around, casual shoe to take in luggage tho.

Suggestions ?
Sarah
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

yea, Flats!!!! :lol:
HUX

Post by HUX »

Spds on everything. M520's as they last ages and Keo's on the roadie.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Clipped in on everything.
Sarah wrote:
Trying to work out a compact/light/easy to carry, walking around, casual shoe to take in luggage tho.

Suggestions ?
Take a look at the Vivobarefoot Ultra if you can find it, plenty of casual shoes in their range too but can be spendy. For sandals Xero shoes are about as minimal as it gets. For trainers Inov8. The shoes I'm riding in is my preferred option.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Candys. I like that you can use a soft-ish soled shoe/boot but the wee bit of "platform" means you don't get any hotspots or pressure areas.

I've considered flats though - especially when there's lots of walking involved. I'm not convinced that being clipped in proffers any real advantage, it's just what I'm used to.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Sarah wrote:...Trying to work out a compact/light/easy to carry, walking around, casual shoe to take in luggage tho...
I used to carry a pair of Teva river shoes strapped over the top of my saddle bag...until Mrs Scattamah absconded with 'em. Not great for walking in (think bare feet with some protection), but great for river crossings! Dry relatively quick.

Greetz

S.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Flat pedals and trail shoes on the mtb, clipless on the road.

I like being able to wear trail shoes for walking and pottering about when not riding or for HAB.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Almost entirely flats.

Have dabbled with SPDs recently. On road I think it makes bugger all difference so have gone back to flats because less faff. Off road, there are bigger gains, particularly on technical climbs, but bigger potential pitfalls (falling sideways into a pit, for example). I've used them for very long light XC days, but use flats for "fun" riding. Unlikely to use them whenever I might need other footwear, or where there's significant HaB potential.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have a pair of (the men's version of) these:

http://www.hi-tec.co.uk/women/footwear/ ... _color=051

On sale - yay! Only in stock in size 4 - probably boo.

Great if you can find them though.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

SPDs all the time, on road and off.

On the road I suppose there's the efficiency thing, but ill be lying if I said I do it for that, just feels nice having your foot the same position all the Time, consistently.

Off road I had a real hard time keeping my feet planted over the rough stuff. tried different pedal/shoes then tried SPD, never looked back. I can honestly say ive had fewer crashed clipped in than I did with flats, go figure.

Bikepacking doesn't change, especially quick over nighters. HAB isn't great, but I wouldn't say my shoes are terrible and I've done my fair share of hiking in them. No real issue and I've always just got on with it.

Couple trips ive packed neoprene "scuba" shoes for camp wear and rivers. Very light and mostly for messing around or chilling, didn't feel I needed them but nice to have when riding near waterfalls.
I do wonder wether to try flats again for a longer road tour. And by tour I mean bicycle tourist rather than bikepacker. But the need hasn't really arisen yet.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I asked the same question a little while ago, having been a strict clipless user for many years. As a result of that I bought a pair of Saint flat pedals to give them a try. I've used them twice - a short try out ride and an overnight trip in Wales.
To be honest I didn't really get on with them. It appears to be as much (or more) about the shoes than the pedals, I just used a pair of approach (ie grey trainers) shoes. Better for HAB than spds, not as good for cycling. Long road or fire road climbs were the biggest issue funnily enough, I couldn't stop my feet shuffling about on the pedals, I found this very annoying.
If I were to have another go I'd get some more appropriate shoes.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Flats on the fs
Flats /spd combo on the 29er
Spd sl on the roadie

Rode clipless exclusivley for years and then started using flats and haven't gone back. Even though i have the combo pedals on the 29er (which is my bike packer) i don't bother with the spds anymore. Partly due to the fact that i dont actually think it makes much difference and secondly you can wear one pair of do it all shoes. Actually i wear walking boots, nice rigid(ish) sole and waterproof.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

My rule is if I'm wearing Lycra then clipless is acceptable, anything else its flats.

I'm pretty much exclusively flats have been last 3,4 years.

If you've seen me, you be grateful I'm not in Lycra! :oops:
Give the dirt a little room.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

You can't expect to effectivly ride flats and be an 'Expert' in a couple of rides! i rode clipped for 6yrs and it took me a good month to settle back into flats, flats are for Real skill and clipped is an assumed skill ... imo ;) (of course) and Anyone who really knows Both will know what i mean :wink: :lol: